login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Receiving and Giving Compliments

We all know giving out compliments certaintly makes us feel great, we can’t live without them. I was just wondering what compliments have yu received today and what compliments did you say to someone?

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love this thread idea!

Just a small one today as I’ve only given one compliment so far. It was about a friend of a friend who I’ve recently spent a little time with. He’s a fascinating guy and you never want him to stop telling stories.

He’s from interstate and has only been in Sydney for a few days. I’d met him a couple of times before but it must have been over 12 months ago. Luckily we got to enjoy a few beers on the couch over the weekend.

He came over this morning to say see you next time and grab a quick coffee.

I told him how much I enjoyed his company, but waited till he had gone to tell our mutual buddy more specifically how much I appreciate spending time with our friend from interstate.

I don’t know if it’s a guy thing or I’m just weird :P but I always find giving and receiving compliments in person a little awkward :/

Perhaps it’s just because I often don’t know how to accept them, so when giving them I often find myself thinking them and not saying them outright, instead letting them out subtly.

If possible I’ll send an email or text message afterward and my thoughts are generally reflected in by my actions in some way.

Definitely something I need to practice though! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention Pure Essence!

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

I received a couple today. Online too.

Someone told me they loved my facebook photo and they wished they had my computer skills :) It was such a beautiful vibe.

Focus

One thing I learned is that when someone gives a compliement let them accept it and then say thank you. This way you are allowing them to enjoy the compliment.

Hi Dhuman,

I need to take your advise I dont mind giving compliments, but sometimes feel akward accepting them especially if I dont know the person. A compliment is a lovely gift.

Love Life
Sue

I love complimenting people.

I had wonderful parents. My mom was very enthusiastic about people- their experiences and who they were. Often she would notice what may have seemed insignificant to a person, and celebrate them with her observation- ie-a lovely compliment. It seemed like she was having her own personal party by enjoying those around her.

Often I find myself in that mode and love it. Experiencing others in their best light with observations that they see or don’t see leaves a wonderful imprint on the giver and the receiver(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

a great way to cultivate virtues in people that don’t already have them is to compliment them on virtues that they don’t have and the person will try and live up to your expectations :)

In response to se da luz’s post:
That’s true se da luz. I once heard people acheive what’s expected- good or bad.

We are already wonderful people; all of us. Sometimes we just need others to see to see the spark in us we sometimes keep hidden. My only addition to that is- don’t let others dictate who you are. If they decide not to bring out the best in you, you might end up allowing them to bring out the worst.

Be true to yourself and affirm that you are always special.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I love compliments and have no trouble accepting them now, not so a few years ago, when I wasn’t so content with myself, perhaps I didn’t think I deserved them!!! I also give compliments quite readily, perhaps this is a girl thing. Though I do get and give compliments to guys.
Giving a sincere compliment to someone makes me feel good and also the other person. It is quite different to insincere flattery which is usually designed so that the giver can get something from you. I have learned the difference!!!!

A good friend of mine sent me this link to a short film about compliments and validation. It’s really good, even if it’s a bit daggy!

Validation

Focus

IT’S BEEN SAID MANY OF THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE.
COMPLIMENTS ARE FREE,YET WORTH SOMETHING,LIKE KINDNESS IS ALSO FREE,BUT
HAS MUCH VALUE.

“Space consciousness, the final frontier, to boldly and or vulnerably go where no one has gone before”

Kindness doesn’t costa thing and what joy it can bring.
Just awesome, I am smiling from ear to ear!

thread created in 2008…moved into 2009, 2013 & now 2015(: This is an awesome thread to bring current.
In response to freygan’s post:

In response to Pure Essence’s post:
and to you, PureEssense wherever you are this moment in time, an awesome thread …now being revived for 2015(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content