login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Hobbies?

Other than affirmations, what are your other interests and hobbies?

Personally, I enjoy photography and rock climbing. I’m fascinated by web design and everything to do with it (design, accessibility, usability, copywriting, SEO etc)

I enjoy riding my push bike around the city. (We sold our car when we move away from suburbs, we have no need for it anymore!) I also read quite a bit (recently on my ebook reader because I’m also a geek :P )

Aside from affirmations and personal development, what are your hobbies and interests?

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

My main interest is live theatre and I am very involved in our local one, where I do anything from stage management for a season of 5 wks, that’s 5 nights a week, to props, wardrobe, set building, den mother to cast and also Front of House on theatre nights, serving sherry and nibbles, handing out programs etc. They haven’t got me treading the boards yet, but I am thinking about it very seriously.
I make and well costume jewellery for a home based hobby, I also teach classes in how to make it. I love to read and run a monthly Book Group which means I read books I possibly wouldn’t read if I didn’t belong to the group. It broadens my horizons considerably.
I am also Secretary of a voluntary organisation called University of Third Age an organisation for retired or semi-retired people with a thirst for knowledge. People volunteer their time and expertise to teach classes on their chosen subject. I take a Philosophy class and an Astrology and Tarot learning class. All very interesting
For exercise I walk my dog for an hour every day and spend that time trying to clear my head and just take in the scenery, looking at the sky, trees and birds as I walk
On another tack I got a book from the library called Change your thoughts- Change your life by Wayne Dyer. It’s his interpretation of the Tao te Ching and it is an amazing book as most of his books are. Blessings

i’ve only in the last six months cut TV and Facebook out of my life and was amazed at how much free time i have to fill it up with the things i love most instead of pissing my life away on things that dont matter.

my favorite things to do are:
traveling
high altitude mountain climbing (better than sex ;)
photography
learning langauges
writing
partying
trekking
etc, etc, etc

I’m a teacher and unfortunately end up doing a bit of after hours work. But I try and fit in some me time when I can. Currently painting, cooking and reading. I also spend a fair bit of time researching food- for my veganism and allergies present in my family.
Hopefully travelling will make a window in my life sometime soon again

I:

play the violin and shakuhachi
grow things in the garden
paint a bit
write
cook lots
bushwalk
go on long country drives
camp in my tipi
do reiki
read
take photos
look at trees.sky.mountains.rivers
draw mandalas incessantly
spend time with friends
cuddle my son

I would like to do more of:

lying on the grass looking at clouds
sleeping
go to the beach
travel overseas
get more massages
learn how to speak and write Tibetan
study more dharma

Focus

Freygan, may i ask what a shakuhachi is? Hard to play?

The shakuhachi is a japanese bamboo flute, traditionally used by Zen Buddhist monks as a means to meditation.

The shakuhachi is the most complex and difficult instrument I’ve EVER played. It’s amazing, beautiful, subtle …

There are 4 holes at the front, one at the back, so you can play 5 notes straight up and down – in the kari – these are the strong notes, “yang”, the pentatonic scale. To play the other notes, the meri, you bend the flute up (how much you say? aha, good question!). These are the whispy “yin” flowy, heart breakingly beautiful notes. They’re like the shy ones, that take lots of coaxing to come out. The mouth piece is an open hole with a slice at the front. It is an edge on which you blow, but you can blow on it SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS, different angles, different distances, mouth shape etc etc etc. Therein lies the difficulty, the complexity and challenge :) And there is no “blowing”, only breathing :)

I find that without a pure quiet heart and mind, I cannot play the shakuhachi – infact – I cannot get even a sound out of it (which is usual for the first 3 months apparently!)

When I master the shakuhachi, my life will be complete :) I’d be ready to die LOL.

http://www.shakuhachiflutes.com/

Focus

how did you start learning the shakuhachi? did you wake up one tuesday morning and say “i’m going to learn the shakuhachi!” ???

I met my first Shakuahchi about 11 years ago in Milwaukee, WI. It was owned by a Tibetan scholar translator whom was an amazing person.

The second time I met a Shakuhachi was 3 years ago on the south coast of NSW, on a beach holiday. It was a delicate one.

There are unusually large numbers of shakuhachi players in the Blue Mountains NSW because Riley Lee, one of the great masters of shakuhachi in Australia, lived here for a long time. Many students moved here to study with him. So I was lucky to be able to attend many performances of shakuhachi while living here, falling more into liking with the instrument each time I listened. Even though Riley Lee no longer lives here, there are lots of players who have stayed. It was a slow decision, in October 2007 I got my first shakuhachi and haven’t looked back.

Focus

In response to laurie’s post:
We’ve both been vegetarian for going on 4 years now, Lee still eats fish however I have been transitioning to vegan (is guess you could say) for 12 months now. It is definitely a gradual process, I don’t think anyone should make such changes in any other way. My body tells me that it feels better for it and by doing it over time I have found ways to be practical.

chatting with friends
trekking
surf the net
watch movies online
listen to music
walking
sewing
scuba diving
belly dancing
guitar (tho not very good ehehe)
donate blood :D

and of course… cuddling my cats

WOW! You guys are awesome! I hadn’t ever seen this thread before. I found it ‘cause of our new handy dandy “table of contents”. I guess I’ll share some of my interests.
I’m sort of a musician/songwriter.
I can sort of play the guitar, drums, and keys.
I used to be a little involved in our local arts center, usually as a musician, but I was in a few plays too. My biggest role was Mr. Mushnick in Little Shop of Horrors.
I have been scuba diving a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot. If I lived near the ocean I might do that. Until I saw a shark at least, then GOODBYE scuba Jeff.
I’ve never been rock climbing, but think I’d love it. Once I get back into good shape (I’m working on it) I’d definitely be up for giving it a go.
I did skydive once, that was really cool, don’t know if I’d have the guts to bungee jump though.
Hang-glinding sounds interesting to me.
I’ve never been in a hot air balloon, but would love to do that.
Believe it or not I know a fair amount about beer and wine, but I rarely drink.
I read constantly.
I love exploring music.
I would love to learn how to play the Bouzouki, but I think I’ll have to wait until another lifetime to get around to that, at least to do it well.
I like to go camping and canoeing.

I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
I’m not much into health food, I am into champagne…..

And on that note

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
too funny LoL

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Amazing how active everyone is.

Traveling
chatting with friends (Sometimes talking nonsense)
Laughing
I love eating/drinking – good cuisine – international cuisine
Love combining the eating/drinking/chatting with friends around the big dinning table
I love watching the lake, the see, the sky, the mountains, the trees, the natur
Watching after my flowers (not many though)
trekking, hiking (need to do more of it)
Traveling – guess I said that before
watching and listening to people, guessing where they come from

…what a wonderful world….

In response to themadcookieman’s post:

Jeff, you would LOVE bungee jumping. It is such a thrill!! If I wasn’t the mother of 5 children, I would have not given it a rest… However, maybe when my children are older (and I’m very well insured) …. :)

My company used to sponsor it for Management Training seminars. I can still relive the rush of just jumping with no 2nd thoughts. I’m not sure how it made me a better manager to jump, but hey, it made it free fun… :)

My hobbies are entertaining. I love having my husband cook lavish international meals for lots of people. Good food – good company – it’s the best. The more, the merrier. :)

Of course, I am still an avid book worm and I love to take college courses… the terminal student…

Gardening – I love it, but as long as I have a german shepherd puppy & three small children… It just won’t be the art work I’d like it to be.

Gee, does that just scream house wife from Kansas????

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Just remember, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home….

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Besides affirmations I love to work with herbs and remedies that heal other people and myself. Now that I think of it I have people calling me for different remedies. My friend who is usually pretty healthy just recently became ill with a terrible pain in her leg that stopped her form walking. The doctor didn’t really know what was wrong with her. After a ton of pills later she was still in terrible pain and becoming worse.

I suggested that she needed to go see an accupuncturist because that is what my gut feeling told me. She went and is now 25% better and can finally walk. She had a terrible attack of acid reflux thanks to the pain pills. She rememberd me and went home to a tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar and 8 oz of water she told me she felt great after that.

My other hobbie is my love karaoke singing. Oh and my organic garden. Crossword puzzles and dancing in the moonlight!

Peace,
Mary

In response to godscreation’s post:
I love learning more about herbs, recognizing them in the nature and their healing powers. I try to teach myself, hasn’t been very effective. And thanks for the music, great one to close the evening with. Good night.

in response to aftab

Hi aftab because of my Mexican roots we have a lot of home remedies that our mother taught us. Like other cultures too. We never went to the doctor until we became adults. She didn’t trust them because in her words, “They just want to cut things out.”

I have studied for many years and feel that your body knows best. Even with herbs. One of my favortite sites is it has so much information from around the world that can really help you. The remedies are things you can do yourself or buy at the market or even in your own garden. It’s really great.

Peace,
Mary

“Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.”

In response to godscreation’s post:
Thanks so much, I had already saved it in my favorites but forgotten about it. Will definitly go back to.
And how interesting that you have mexican background. I had imagined you blond – don’t suppose that’s the case ;-)

I’m loving these older threads .

Heres my hobbies

knitting and crochet
cross stitch
going to start patchwork ,rag rugs and tapestry
walks in the woods with spaniels or without
reading
music from meatloaf – Llewllyn
collecting teddy bears
learning about complementary therapies
keeping pets -2 dogs,a cat,2 bunnies and 6 guinea pigs
reiki
making soup

more I’m going to start

yoga
growing herbs
calligraphy
art journals
making a book of shadows
scrapbooks
playing guitar

love flowergirl

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content