login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Herbs

We’ve talked about teas, but what about other herbs?

Does anyone use any particular herbs for any reason?

I sometimes add a little Skullcap to my tea. This helps clear my mind, which helps me focus, or sleep.

I used to take Gotu Kola tablets, but am thinking about replacing (or supplementing) them with the mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi / reishi)

Mel has started taking a shot of turmeric, apple cider vinegar and water every morning. It isn’t very tasty, but we’ve met a few people recently who swear by it!

We also like Damiana to help us relax (etc) sometimes, as a tea, as a concentrate or sometimes smoked.

Does anyone else take any herbs outside of multivitamins and the regular Basil, Parsley or Thyme you add to your meal at night?

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

These are spices that I am a fan of… turmeric, ginger & cinnamon.

Turmeric is being studied as a cancer preventative for many different cancers. (see www.pubmed.org and search curcumin (botanical name for turmeric)

Here is an article on the health benefits of different herbs and spices – if you are interested.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/12/22/CL.herbal.remedies/index.html?eref=rss_health

MM (aka The Spice Lady)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

There is a wonderful completely organic vitamin out there made by a company called New Chapter that uses herbs with their vitamins.

My husband has been using parsley tea medicinally, for believe it or not sciatica. This thread was not supposed to be about tea, though “medicinally” with re:to herbal teas- my preferences are ginger, and papaya – mint for digestion and just a little lift. Mostly because I like warm comfort drinks(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

That’s an interesting article meditatingmama, I had no idea about Cinnamon!

We use mint for digestion too, and always pick up dried papaya sticks when we go grocery shopping and our meals are usually loaded with ginger and turmeric.

Never had a parsley tea!

That organic vitamin sounds fantastic!

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

I love cinnamon. Try this spread on your toast in the morning – grate an apple & mix with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon – tastes best with thick buttery toast! It’s a nice change from the usual and the kids love it too.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

I use a lot of cinnamon too. It lowers bloodsugars, good for diabetes – only need a teaspoon a day.

I have a bucket of mints in my garden, it’s for tea, I have spearmint, applemint and regular mint.

Focus

re: the tumeric and apple cider vinegar

I’ve been taking it for two weeks now and I have so much energy! It’s the first thing I have in the morning, just with a glass of water, then shower and then have breakfast to give it a little time to kick start my metabolism and energy systems. It does taste gross but as they say ‘the proof is in the pudding!’. I can get home from a 10 hour day at work and still have physical and mental energy :)

I take neem powder twice a day for my diabetes. It’s used widely in India for many things and you can get Neem tootpaste, which is also good for infected gums.

This is right up my alley.

Indegestion and relaxation: Chamomile Tea

Bronchitis: Purple onion and honey boiled until the water turns to syrup. Take one teaspoon morning and evening until well. Also strengthens the lungs.

My favortie: Swedish bitters heals a number of ailments.

Oregano tea for phlem in chest.

Nervous-L-Theanine and also Passion Flower tea

Gout-Apple Cider vinegar. 1 teaspoon daily in 8 oz of water.

Really go to www.earthclinic.com that’s my doctor when I become ill. There are sooo many remedies there!

Hi! all of u out there

I boil 2 leaves of guava tree in 1 glass of water till it is reduced to 3/4. add a tea spoon of salt to it. using this to gargle after meals keeps my teeth in perfect condition. there are no painful gums, cavity problems etc…
the liquid is supposed to kill all germs.
try it i have done it for last 2 yrs and its goodbye to dental problems.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

Ayapana! I have talked about this herb blend before – It is drunk in tea form in Mauritius (My mother land) but not sure whether it can be scourced outside the island.
Basically its fantastic for……(whispering) Trapped wind pain, bloating and any other digestive discomforts – say from leaving too long a gap between meals and getting empty, gassy feeling.

Its very soothing on the gut and good for weight control too. I like to drink it with a piece of root ginger – because I love the taste of ginger and its properties pair up nicely with that of Ayapana.

A full and thankful heart..

On the spice note:
Cardamon is a lovely addition to any milk pased dessert, say a pannacotta, a rice pudding, sago or even a custard. It has such a lovely perfume and warmth that is very comforting and yummy.
Try it with Hot chocolate too (infuse a couple of pods in your milk as you heat it up).

Ooh just had a thought, cardamon pannacotta with pistachios….mmmm.
;o)

A full and thankful heart..

Wow! That’s sounds good. Sounds like you’ve done some mouth watering herbal-seasoning experimenting(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to SONIA’s post:
Where did you hear about guava leaves and gums. I wonder what the properties are that help. Sounds great!

Sonia, are you new to bmindful? If you are welcome! If you aren’t..welcome(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Dear Laurie, Good afternoon, Yeah sure I am new to bmindful. But I have thoroughly felt myself blessed and special being a member of such a wonderful site. The threads are truly very insightful.
I read about the Guava leaves in an Indian magazine and tried it. Its actually amazing. I have cavities but no pain or associated problems.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content