login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Memory[Happiness Mtg.]

★10-14-2015 Happiness Mtg.Topic-Memory★

• 5th Bmindful Happiness Meeting
  • This Meeting Is Going On All Day & Into Tomorrow Due To Time Zones & Busy Schedules
  • logo for meeting
    Today’s meeting is about how we can use our memory better.

Why this topic? Well, personally, I have a goal for which memory is a vital part. Memory, or more accurately, memorization, is a requirement to reach that goal. Here is my goal: I intend to put together some “sets”. I am a musician. I’ve played many times in front of audiences. It’s been a while, but, I’ve done it many times. I, however, have never done a solo set. I’ve done a song solo before, but, that isn’t anything like doing a whole show by myself. Most of the times when I have played I have had others on stage with me. Big difference. Let me say that again – BIG DIFFERENCE! I’ve got plenty of songs to draw from, but, memorizing all that stuff – especially the lyrics – is a real challenge. Lots of folks play “at” performing a song or two. If you are sitting around with some friends around a campfire no one is going to complain and will probably laugh if you forget a line or stumble with a chord or something. If you go to see James Taylor or some other professional, you won’t see stumbling, you will see a performance. You will see someone who KNOWS his material.

I am casually working on my set right now, but, I need/want to put more time into reaching my goal. I’ll share the things I am doing now and we can discuss memorization techniques that I and other can use for better success with memorization.

What I do now – at least in a general way – (1) I look online to see if there is a free version of the song already worked out. There are often many. If song is a famous song, there almost always are several places you can find the work, or at least part of the work done for you. (2) I print out the song in a way that I like. That means, I copy it into my word processor, use a font that is easy to read. Sometimes I’ll try to get the whole song to fit on one page. Ideally I will print out a sheet with chords and one version with only the lyrics. (3) I print several copies. I put one in my “book”, don’t laugh, but, I put one by the toilet, I put one on the couch (where I usually have a guitar out for quick access), and I put a copy by my bed. (4) I download the song and load it into my music player. By “music player” I mean the software I have on my laptop. I have a laptop by my bed. (5) I add it to my custom playlist and listen to that playlist in headphones when I go to sleep. I usually go to sleep listening to something. (More about my “playlist”: My playlist has several songs I’m learning on it. I set my playlist up so that it plays the songs I want to learn two times in a row. For example, It would look something like this “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head, I’ll Never Fall in Love Again, I’ll Never Fall in Love Again, etc…)

The playlist idea is something I’ve just started. I think it will prove useful.

Okay, Gang. That’s the intro – Now let’s discuss.

Sincerely,
Jeff (SRWE)

Memory, or more accurately, memorization ~ Why this topic? “Well, personally, I have a goal for which memory is a vital part. Memory, or more accurately, memorization, is a requirement to reach that goal”

• ~

Questions To Focus On For October, 14,2015 Happiness Thread Meeting
1) What do you believe will add to your building your abilities in the area of memory/memorization?
2) Whether it be simply everyday life, or specific meaningful goals beyond daily routines…will you do what it takes to improve your memory once you get in touch with what will work best for you?
3) Has your memory changed over the years? If it has …what do you think created better connections to remember, and what worked against your efforts?

While I believe we all are extraordinary on our own, together we bring so much to ourselves and others!(:

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

hi Jeff ,it is great to see you back here

I like all your memory ideas .I find writing things out by hand over and over helps me to remember them as I can also visualise the page ( I can only do this if I have written it myself )

love
Flowergirl

textileRef:11179239066305688b5ae7:linkStartMarker:“Wow! Great to see you Flowergirl, and of course our returning member & chair Jeff;SRWE (SmartRoutinesWithEnthusiam) here with a perfect topic. Looking forward to this.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In response to “ Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post”:http://bmindful.com/forum/thread/7327/happiness-mtg-101415-topic-memory#post101359: Hi SRWE! I love all the things you are doing for a goal you are so passionate about. This is a great topic, I will continue to go back to your post, Flowergirls, and those who respond during the meeting in this post. I will focus on the questions for myself here too.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I’m believing as all of us answer in our own ways, we will reinforce our tools and some more wonderful things will come your way(:
  • 1) What do you believe will add to your building your abilities in the area of memory/memorization?

In response to “ flowergirl’s post: I’m with you, flowergirl about writing things out by hand over and over helps me to remember them as I can also visualise the page I can only do this if I have written it myself
Though, I actually need more for my memory(: It actually depends on how ‘foreign’ the material is, how well I need to know it, and how soon I need to know it by..to enforce all of my little tools.

When I am studying for my work-place or when I’ve been engaged with university work in my life, and the terms or concepts … require a whole new understanding… and if I am rebelling against believing I will absorb this the way it is needed and or by the time it is needed, I need to do a lot. I’ll be concise with those tools in a bit.

When I’m remembering things for the ‘business of living’ that is also an area I need some tools. I will share that too. (It will help me remember to use them) (: Though on a site like this, though also in general, I cannot forget (can feel the memory jokes coming on today)lol, anyway, cannot forget the use of relaxation, affirmations,taking care of my health (body- nutrition and working out and what I feed my mind and spirit)

In response to Kathi I love the mentioning of various nutients (brain food) and of course exercise! And thanks for elaborating.
    In response to Poppy

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I have found memory to be an extremely complex thing. First off, if I understand you correctly, you are focusing on long term memory within a complex set of memorization tasks. It sounds to me as if you have mastered the ability to play your guitar. That alone is a great memorization accomplishment. I know there is a technical term for that kind of memory, but I call it muscle memory. The muscles in your hand and arms have stored, in long term memory, in a certain part of your brain, the ability to play. Additionally, you need to store the lyrics in long term memory in your brain. This part of memory is stored in another part of your brain. Then there is the complex problem of recall.

So you are tapping into visual, auditory, and tactile memory. I agree with Flowergirl that if you write the lyrics yourself, you are learning the material in two places in your brain. Using visual and tactile memory.

All of us learn differently. I suspect you learn best auditorally. I don’t know though. I personally learn best visually. In my everyday experience if I see objects in my environment, I can easily recall where they are. My wife is just the opposite. She can’t remember where her keys, glasses, purse, everything is at. I am good at short term visual memory. More in my next post. I hope this is helping you understand musicians are very talented and gifted.

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

Good morning All!

Thank you for chairing our meeting SRWE!

Great topic. I also need to work with memory issues. In fact, I am organized around being forgetful. That is one reason why I write out a list, and number things.

I take the supplement “Phosphatidylserine” which I recently resumed. It helped me immediately. I also take 3 or 4 Fish Oil caps/daily. The brand I use is produced by Orthomolecular, and they sell pharmaceutical grade products. It costs a little bit more, but they are a very strong company, and they use an outside lab to qualify their reporting of their products. Fish oil is good for about 15 or more things for the body. One thing that fish oil does is it corrects the outer cell wall membrane on several different types of cells. There are epithelial cells, there are muscle cells, there are mucosal or goblet cells. All these cells have have an outer cell membrane. Fish oil is a good fat. Bad fats, for example, the fat that you fry french fries in, that fat makes the outer cell wall rigid and inflexible. Fish oil makes the outer cell wall healthy and flexible, and nutrients can pass into and out of the cell, making it easier for cells to participate in the process of metabolization. It also heals cell wall membranes, and the longer you expose your self to Fish Oil, those cells die and the newer cells start their normal typical life span under optimal conditions, allowing you to achieve optimal results for the duration of their cellular life span.

There are other supplements that are available. In addition to that, certain foods and daily exercise are known to be beneficial for the brain.

The brain is fascinating… its like the greatest, mostly unexplored galaxy! There is so much that we do not know because its impossible to put into hard scientific context.

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

Good Morning/Good Afternoon Kathi & all other Bmindful buddies(:

In response to Kathi’s post:
While I said I’d contain my post pretty much above , I have to tell you how much I love your statement: In fact, I am organized around being forgetful. I so relate(: I’ve disliked reinforcing that…though you said it so well!(: I would like to expound on that along with the question Has your memory changed over the years? If it has …what do you think created better connections to remember, and what worked against your efforts? I will save this space for that.
In response to Poppy’s post:
I love how you brought up how we learn differently, and utilizing our different senses. Wonderful insights!

• More than 20 years ago, I was once told by a tester who was assessing my abilities…at an inconvenient time for me…had just woken up and hadn’t eaten very much. And while the results may have had some truth, it was exacerbated by my not being functional for much yet(:
    Anyway, I was told my auditory _______ memory… was the culprit(can’t remember the full name right now…no joke) will be back to fill it in…
    ~Auditory memory is the ability to take in information that is presented orally (out loud), process it, retain it in one’s mind, and then recall it (Bellis, 2003; Roeser & Downs, 2004; Stredler-Brown & Johnson, 2004).

An individual with auditory memory inefficiencies may be able to take-in and think about only three or four words at a time. As they listen, they hear three or four words, instantaneously (and subconsciously) stop listening so that they can process the information, then begin listening again. LD article

Though, when I utilized the tools he shared, one being taping lectures, and transcribing…I went from an average student to an A student. So, whether things are a true disability or not, is not the issue, there are wonderful things which strengthen our memory connections.

will look at this better later
little handout
handbook, I’d like to look at later

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thank you SelfCare.

Yes, I am definitely organized around being forgetful because I am committed to overcoming it and the more I am organized, the less of an issue it becomes. In fact, being organized makes the issue disappear.

My memory has changed over the years, no doubt but so have other important cognitive issues. One thing that is like good medicine for the brain is just living a reasonably health, happy, fulfilled life. For me, being active, having healthy relationships with family and friends, and being satisfied with my life, enjoying the life achievements of those I love, all of these are vastly important. As we age, life satisfaction definitely impacts the way we age.

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.

In response to Kathi’s post: Lovely! I am definitely organized around being forgetful because I am committed to overcoming it and the more I am organized, the less of an issue it becomes. In fact, being organized makes the issue disappear. I have to agree. I simply never heard it stressed that way! It’s perfect!
Here is my intention for this area: Organization-in my life…keep archive, records, checklists, routines happening. Organization in my home…decide a blue print for how I’m moving forward & allow my home to accommodate organizationally and aesthetically (:

Love what you said: One thing that is like good medicine for the brain is just living a reasonably health, happy, fulfilled life. once again, yes yes!
So often individuals think age is the only possible culprit to memory. Though, I’ve found what you said (: and another big thing…and that is honesty with self, which I believe …for many improves with age, if one gets in touch with the fragility of life.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Something that might help with memorizing lyrics is to chunk it. Break it down into parts.

Let It Be—McCartney

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Say it, write it , go slowly word by word, try to create an image in your mind of this first part. Try writing it out in the air with your finger without looking at the lyrics. See the words in your head.

Practice singing it without playing your guitar.

Once you think you really have it memorized, go on to the next little chunk.

And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

Repeat the process above for this chunk. When you think you have it memorized, practice it by combining it with the first chunk.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me

And in my hour of darkness
She is …

Continue this until you have memorized the lyrics.
Then play and sing.
Let the pictures and words flow into your mind as you play.
Try to tie the words to your feelings and pictures.

Picture yourself in times of trouble ( fear, uncertainty)
See Mother Mary coming toward you( comfort, reassurance)
Hear Mother Mary Speaking words of wisdom(it’s going to be all right-Let it be)

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi, Everyone. Memory is a pretty broad topic. I’m working on memorization, but, all of us are doing all sorts of things from memory without even realizing it. Memory plays a part in who we are and what we do every day. Childhood memories, cell memory, motor memory. Many of our automatic responses to the world and even our own thoughts are so automatic that we don’t even realize we are responding. Heck, if we dwell on memory itself and how it affects us there is no limit to the things we could talk about. Time and memory are powerful things. What about this aspect of memory – it has to do with physical material present and immaterial past – the first time you smell a flower you are smelling real things floating in the air that left the flower and made it to your nose that is specifically designed to smell things (God made us that way, which is pretty miraculous, and some folks say there is not God, how silly they are) but, right now, if you want to smell a flower or cookies baking or your favorite cologne you can smell it just by thinking about it. Memory is interesting. We can block some memories or embellish them, we can fool ourselves with them, we can learn from them. Anyway, I’m enjoying reading everyone’s thoughts. I’ll pop back in later.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

Yes, memory is closely related to our five senses as well as our attention span. If we really pay attention to something and it is novel to our brain we are generally going to remember it. A trick is to make something you want to remember by associating it with something we already know or make it almost absurd so that we will remember it.

truly great thread…everyone…I’m so glad this thread seeps into the next day…and we can prosper from its content even beyond today & tomorrow like all wonderful threads… I know I’ll be back around(: I left spaces in my post…to finish(:

Memory has been on my mind in so many ways… in particular as I’ve gotten a bit older. Initially, I felt concerned, and then I began experiencing ways to improve it..and I feel more focused and confident…not to mention more joyous & free. My mind is open to learning from everyone …and allowing myself to be triggered positively…in areas still desired(:

When one becomes concerned about anything that they want to improve…it can be a positive or a negative experience. Let’s just say…at this time I feel good!(: And this thread, even though I didn’t write all that I consider tools…experienced much diverse positive reinforcement. It was all good(:

And since utilizing these meetings continue to work for me, let me say thank you…and I’m hoping others stop by when it works for them…as I know I will be back(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Great meeting! I appreciate the sharing and strategies for improving memory. When I was much younger, I had an almost photographic memory, I learned and retained information effortlessly. C’est la vie, I have transitioned and find that I must now put forth considerable effort. I have learned the more senses I incorporate in the process of memory, the better I am able to retain the information. As Flower girl stated in writing things down and as Poppy shared with breaking things into parts are positive reinforcements in the process. As Kathi suggested, I find that I have to be consistent with my placement of things like placing my keys on the credenza so I know where they are at all times, organization is essential. I am very grateful for the sharing of strategies of SelfCareJoy and the handout provided as well. Hats off to SmartRoutineswithEnthusiam and to all of U!

I agree with your thoughts: every cell in our body has a memory of a particular event.

It going to be a powerful memory, which evokes everyone of your cells to remember that one special event…

Several thoughts and memories come to mind!

Now, an affirmation for this thread:

I am grateful for every opportunity to affirm the Goodness of my memory.

I am grateful to have a beautiful mind filled with many fine memories.

I am grateful for all of the great people that are a part of my life.

Centering my mind and heart in Spirit, I see Divine attributes within the people that I encounter.

I affirm wholeness, health and abundance for all.

Hi SRWE, came across these affirmations…thought of you…and this thread, any others who may prosper

Positive Affirmations for Musicians
Take a few breathes and clear your mind of all distractions. When you read these affirmations for musicians, really feel the meaning of each word. Let it speak to you deeply and intimately. Say each line multiple times until it feels solid in your heart and bones. Smile genuinely and then repeat each sentence out loud. If it helps you feel the power in each affirmation, stand up, jump up and down or grab at the air with your fists and pull energy into your being. Repeating these words with substance and deep meaning will bring faster and larger results.

The following are positive affirmations for musicians:

I AM ALWAYS PRESENT AND IN THE MOMENT.

I AM OPEN TO RECEIVING SUCCESS AS A WORKING MUSICIAN.

I AM CAPABLE AND PREPARED FOR EVERY GIG THAT COMES MY WAY.

AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF CREATIVE ENERGY STREAMS THROUGH ME AT ALL TIMES.

I ENJOY CREATING AND PLAYING MUSIC.

I LOVE PERFORMING MUSIC TO A LIVE AUDIENCE. IT IS EXHILARATING AND REWARDING.

I EFFORTLESSLY ATTRACT GIGS AT RESPECTABLE VENUES.

I AM CONSISTENTLY PRESENTED WITH NEW OPPORTUNITIES AND SUCCESSES.

I LOVE THE EXCITING PERFORMANCES THAT I GIVE.

I AM GRATEFUL FOR EVERY MUSICAL PROJECT THAT I’M INVOLVED IN.

I ALWAYS HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED TO BE A SUCCESSFUL MUSICIAN.

I AM ALWAYS PREPARED, ENERGETIC, AND EXPRESSIVE DURING MY PERFORMANCES.

MY PURPOSE AS A MUSICIAN IS TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND INFLUENTIAL.

MY MUSIC INSPIRES AND MOTIVATES PEOPLE.

I AM A SUCCESSFUL MUSICIAN.

I PASSIONATELY LIVE A LIFE DOING WHAT I LOVE.

I AM KNOWN FOR MY POSITIVE ENERGY AND CREATIVE LIFESTYLE.

MY WORLD IS FILLED WITH CREATIVITY, ABUNDANCE AND HAPPINESS.

I WORK ON AMAZING PROJECTS WITH GREAT PEOPLE.

MY LIFE IS FULL OF MUSIC. I AM KNOWN FOR MY MUSICAL TALENT.

I DESERVE ABUNDANCE AND PROSPERITY.

I MANIFEST ABUNDANCE WITH MY CREATIVE GIFTS AND TALENTS.

I PRODUCE FINANCIAL ABUNDANCE AS A TALENTED MUSICIAN.

I AM A FINANCIALLY WEALTHY MUSICIAN CONTRIBUTING TO MEANINGFUL PROJECTS.

I LOVE HAVING A PROSPEROUS CAREER AS A MUSICIAN.

PEOPLE RECOGNIZE AND RESPECT MY UNIQUE TALENTS.

STUDIOS CONSISTENTLY HIRE ME FOR HIGH PAYING AND EXCITING GIGS.

I AM SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE WHO ARE EAGER TO ELEVATE MY SUCCESS.

I SHARE MY GIFTS GENEROUSLY WITH OTHERS. I ACCEPT OTHERSGIFTS WITH GRATITUDE.

I SEEK INSPIRATION AND MENTORSHIP FROM OTHER TALENTED MUSICIANS.

MY SUCCESS AS A MUSICIAN IS NECESSARY. I CONTRIBUTE A POSITIVE AND INFLUENTIAL PRESENCE TO THIS PLANET.

I LISTEN TO OTHERS WITH PATIENCE, COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING.

I COMMUNICATE CLEARLY, GRACEFULLY AND ARTISTICALLY.

I CREATE THE EXACT LIFE I WANT TO LIVE WITH ENTHUSIASM.

I CHOOSE HAPPINESS, SUCCESS AND CREATIVITY IN MY LIFE.

I CELEBRATE GOOD FORTUNE EVERY DAY.

I LIVE A CREATIVE LIFE.

MIRACLES AND MAGIC SURROUND ME EVERYWHERE I GO.

ALL OF MY DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE RIGHT NOW! IT’S AMAZING.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thanks. Great list.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

thank you for sharing

success affirmations
thought elevators
blog

http://helpmyselfblog.com/positive-affirmations-for-success/

looks like a wonderful site! Welcome helpmyselfblog. Thank YOU for sharing(: Is this your site? If so may I have your permission to post photos, affirmations from your site here?

My definition of greatness

is to be greater than your environment,

to be greater than your body,

and to be greater than time.

And if you do, you will be great.

I mean, that’s it!” – Dr. Joe Dispenza

Glad this thread was brought to the top(: Memory is another awesome topic too. What was I going to say? (:

My definition of greatness

is to be greater than your environment,

to be greater than your body,

and to be greater than time.

And if you do, you will be great.

I mean, that’s it!” – Dr. Joe Dispenza

I wanted to save this link somewhere and I remembered this old thread.
How to memorize songs

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content