login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Living life without a purpose is like...

what?

What gives life meaning? I guess we don’t have any concrete proof of a soul. Do we? If so, what is that evidence? What is your best argument for the existence of the soul? Let’s set that aside for a second. What sorts of things give life meaning and what sorts of things give life purpose? Please share some thoughts about this. Is life more than just being alive? I want it to be more than just eating every day so your body can live. I want it to be more than just meandering through until our bodies wear out. Meaning and purpose. It’s on my mind. What does an ‘enlightened’ person know? I think one of the things that we humans have going for us is that we can recognize beauty. We have a sense of wonder, at least I think most of us do. Caring for children and enjoying their laughter and love – there is something to that I think. There are some things I really like, stuff like nice weather, a soft bed, running water, air conditioning…, but once we get beyond the things that make us comfortable, what is it that gives life meaning? How do we, you and me, do something that matters? I think it is a personal thing for each of us, something that we are supposed to do, figuring it out what it is, though, that isn’t so simple. At least, it’s not for me. Beyond being smart enough to tie our shoes and do math, what is it that makes each of us more than just another human being walking around on the planet and taking up space? Do we have to do something ‘grand’ in order to feel like our lives have meaning? If we aren’t celebrated by ‘the world’ are we failures? Nah, I think not, but isn’t that what many of us feel. I’m not ‘successful’ ‘cause I’m not rich and famous, not even in my own little town, much less by any ‘big’ measure. So, what is it that gives our lives meaning and purpose? What is your purpose? Can you/I define it?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

We ask a lot about balance. We wonder what it is and how to get it. We ask questions like are we walking toward “balance” more often than not? We ask questions if various routines are given attention, does that give us that fulfillment? We speak a lot about impermanence. What gives us our life meaning when we know things do not last?
  • Connecting to Something Greater : my life and all of its activities have more meaning/significance/joy and feelings of being resourcefulness when I take that time to connect with Creator.
  • Connecting With Self For me today…it is that honesty with self about self (without harsh judgement) …that assists in knowing what is meaningful regularly. It assists with my whats, hows and why? If I simply followed routines, for me it would be working blindly backwards. Working backwards doesn’t always lead to meaning. Often things have to happen to teach us what is truly significant to us.

Like many of us, we go through life-lessons/experiences to let us know what isn’t as important as we thought….and important things emerge ….the infamous lessons we never forget. …highly personal thing…like everyone I’m sure agrees.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to SelfcareEnthusiast’s post:

You sound balanced to me. Connecting to something greater than self is my ultimate goal, because I think it is like the chicken and the egg, doesn’t really matter which comes first, you have to be honest with yourself about yourself and then you can be honest with others or being honest with others, non judgemental, creates honesty with yourself, it is who you are.

So in my opinion, you already know the answers, it is the questions you might not know to ask at the time. And I believe you are correct, life offers us many lessons, we just have to be ready to learn, because the lesson will be repeated again and again until we learn or not.

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

Defining you purpose in life is not simple. I tried to put pencil to paper once and after about 3 hours, this is what I came up with for me. It is the result of my 121st edit.

121. To nurture my own physical, emotional, and spiritual needs by living consciously and courageously, to resonate with love and compassion, and to awaken the great universal knowledge within others, to consciously embrace their extraordinary human journey, in service to the highest good of all and to leave this world in peace.

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

In response to Poppy’s post:
In response to Poppy’s post:
Thank you Poppy(:

And you are right…it is the questions I’m gravitating toward…and appreciating more. I love your life purpose #121(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Putting pencil to paper; that’s where you find the real gold. I am due for a little mining expedition myself. I am glad you used that phrase. I love that phrase, it’s so… well, it just resonates.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

My best argument of the soul is when I saw my father die in front of me. His body had no more movement he was at peace. It seemed strange to me that he couldn’t answer or pay attention to my sister and I anymore. How can an illness take away the life and soul from you? What about all the things that were left undone or unsaid? Anyway after my near death experience and watching my father die. I realized that I wanted to help others have a better life because time here on Earth is short.

We can enjoy only what we have today tomorrow is not promised to us. All I know is that each and everyone of us has the possibility of being happy. I was a very sensitive person before and just recently adopted the attitude of forgetting if someone says something bad about me or to me. After all it is just air coming out of their mouths. Because of this change things seem to be a lot smoother for me my new word of the day is “How important is it and do I really have to participate by believing in it?”

Anyway good night and have a pleasant sleep!

Well I heard someone say recently,that being born gives you the oppurtunity to grow a soul.I like that, that works for me,probably cause from societies idea of “success” I lack something.So I,m not a pro ball player making millions,I,m working as a soul developer for now.

Once you get to know Twain, you’ll never be the same.

There is a quote I’ve heard that goes something like this. “We aren’t physical being having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.” It’s something like that. I hope that is true. I sometimes wonder that my ‘sense of self’ is just the dream, and when we die we wake up and go, “Oh, that wasn’t really the real me after all, THIS is the real me. I just did that to learn some stuff. What a wild dream. Hi, Mom! Hi, Dad! I sure have missed you guys. I love you so much and am glad to be home again for a while”.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I have been studying life purpose for several months now. I now know my life purpose which helps me live my calling and have meaning in my life.

My Blessings,

Mary Rettig

Like my page at https://www.facebook.com/maryerettigpage

Thank you for bringing up this thread again… Like all of us…different times in our lives mark new stages… I am experiencing one of my own…in a positive … and profound way. While I write a lot personally for myself… I do miss these discussions for a reason I will include.

I agree regarding the value of joy. Part of me used to fight against the simplistic goal of joy… (as a goal for itself) even though my heart was in total agreement…every time. And every time… I was ‘making sure’ joy was in there… or gaining momentum(:

When I work/worked my hardest in various jobs…and felt the ‘sweat of my brow’ … my goal still was in there to feel joy… even though some of my goals had me going through some hoops before I got there.

When various things I’ve wanted … had moments of discomfort…I still had some level of joy…by including hope… and somehow… that was the joyful encouragement… to allow…for the peace…and joy which was inevitable. So now I just look back… and remember… what was that I included that worked… oh yeah… remember why I’m doing this… Life simply feels good if I remain conscious … of knowing life doesn’t have to feel like the struggle…even when things are ‘slow’- occurring. There is too much along the way to notice and be pleased with.

And as I’ve gotten older… the most complex things I enjoy reading…(about life, love and perseverance) still brings me back to the basics…joy.

…whether it be just daily smiles in my heart for the sake of that… or the joy of connecting with others… the joy of finding my own way… or allowing others to add their views and adapting my views to understand more…or the ‘complete’ disagreeing with another…only to find more of what works for me… same thing JOY(:

That is what I love about this site…the joy is often so easy to find…when others share. We are all in this together…even when we are focusing on our joy… or deciding we’d like more of it.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content