login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Let's Hear Your Childhood Memories (:

I originally started this thread asking things like:
1. what were the very 1st concerts you attended as children, and were you ever in a fanclub as a child?
2. Also who was your favorite childhood star?
3.And if you remember,what kind of music did you hear playing in your house, when you were a child? Add links if you can.

Though, MCM (Jeff) and MM (Mary) started getting wonderfully nostalgic, and the thread is so much better now-> allowing members to communicate a full range of of wonderful chidhood memories. Can’t wait to hear yours!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

These were concerts I went w/my whole family. I went to very few of them, because of my brothers being older, and when I came along they had already started outgrowing family-things.

1st concerts- Hermans Hermits in 1967 at the Steel Pier
in Atlantic City N.J
Saw this clip, it was from ’67
So this is how they looked to me when I was a little one.(:

No Milk Today

and
Louie Armstrong in D.C
What a Wondeful World

fanclub-Donovan
The one and only fan club I was ever in was when I was about 10 1/2 years old, with the mellow singing of Donovan.
I remember when my 8×10 autographed glossy appeared(:
Donovan singing Wear Your Love Like Heaven

favorite childhood star -Shirley Temple, and I’ll have to look up the other one..
I finally remembered the other childhood actress I loved Margaret O’Brien’Brien/obrien.htm
There were others but Shirley was every little girl’s mentor(:

kind of music I heard playing in my house growing up-
lots-have to think about it, I’ll be back……

I didn’t realize I made this kind of hard(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

My first concert would have to be Tina Turner, she was a blast!

I was in the 711 Club lol, when I was about 13years, hardcase too as that is when I met the boy who was born on the same day as me, there was a competition going around in the hospital on New Years day who would be the first baby for the year, he won by a couple of minutes. I didnt know this but I used to sneak down to see him when I was a little toddler, he and his family lived a couple of houses down the road, used to say I was going to visit the boy in the blue house.

My favourite childhood cartoon/star would have to be Veronica from the Archie Comics

I was brought up around music all the time, country, rock n roll and easy go listening, JJ Cale, The Eagles, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rodgers, Boz Scaggs, Bob Seager, Eric Clapton, Dr Hook, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Marvin Gaye, big family get togethers on my mums side out came the ol’ guitar, those were the days!

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

In response to Pure Essence’s post:
Wow Tina Turner! How old were you? Your family gatherings w/the musicians you named and getting the guitar out sounds like so much fun!!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I was in love with David Cassidy (embarassed now) :-D

…what a wonderful world….

This isn’t music related, but it has to do with childhood memories. My dad dies when I was ten, and I wish I had more memories of him. He and my Mom are both on the other side now and they were both very special. I remember how many people showed up to each of their funerals, it was amazing. Anyway, I want to share some memories of my Dad.

My dad was what they called “movie star” handsome. After the war (WWII) he came home and married my Mom. I wasn’t born until my mom was thirty-seven. When my Dad got older he gained a lot of weight, and he smoked a lot. He died from a heart-attack when he was fifty. (Something I am more and more aware of these days.) He worked as a salesman and travelled around the state in his pick-up truck. He worked for a small wholesale company and he went around the state taking samples and orders. He worked on the weekends at our small twenty acre farm, about ten of which he planted. No small chore. My older brothers used to go with him and work on the farm, I was still pretty young so I got to play while they worked. We had a mule and a horse and a small chicken house, and pigs, and lots of vegetables. He always grew lots of stuff and I can remember going with him when he took free veggies to everyone. He delighted in giving, especially to poor people. On the Forth of July he would always bring home several HUGE boxes of fireworks. He got them wholesale. I’m talking boxes that would hold a washing machine. Our family always had a Forth of July picnic out at my grandfather’s farm and that evening we would all go to our farm for fireworks. All the cousins were there. There were so many fireworks that even the kids got worn out before they were all gone and we always wound up making a big pile of them and throwing a match in before the night was over. Whoa! Well, I’ve gotten carried away, but I want to tell you a couple of more things I remember about my dad. Some special things. When my dad came home from work he used to put me in his lap and I always asked him to tickle me with his whiskers. He had a heavy beard and it tickled. He used to smoke a lot, it was different back then, but I always got him to blow smoke out of his nose. That always delighted me. I thought it was so amazing. And one last memory about my Dad that I will never forget was how he drank his coffee. My Dad always used to cook the breakfast, not Mom, she could cook well, but my Dad just liked to cook breakfast. Anyway, (I think this was passed down from the French side of the family) my dad always used to pour his coffee into a saucer when he drank it. I’ve never seen anyone else to that except for when I was in France. I guess that filtered down through the years, and I guess it really filtered for a long time ‘cause my Dad’s side came to the US way back in the year 1700 to Jamestown. So, I don’t have a big finish or anything, I just wanted to share a little.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:

Thanks for sharing that cool piece of your history. Amazing.

Music & fan clubs were not a part of my life when I was little. No television. No record player. Not much of mainstream culture.

However, some of my greatest memories of childhood were walking down to the center of our “village” and going to the ice house where our community kept all the cold meat. My dad and a few others were responsible for keeping the chicken inventory stocked. There were others who stocked the beef and others pork. Around the time to plan/cook the meals, you would find a group of women all walking to pick up their meat. Usually two or three families would eat together if they were doing things like harvesting wheat. Anyway, there was no purchasing meals. It was going down and picking up from the community storage what you would cook. No one hoarded. No one was stingy. It was all there for whoever needed it. It was that way for the vegetables & fruit also. My dad had (and still does) the orchards which contained peaches, cherries, pears, apples, walnuts, etc. They were there for everyone as needed – for canning, baking, etc.

I never remember anyone ever complaining that someone got more than their fair share. Money was not even a real concept for me until I was old enough to leave. Sometimes I miss those innocent days…

Oh, wait, one more thing I wanted to share. One of the coolest things were when we would send the wheat to the mill to be returned as flour, it would come in beautiful, colorful material bags. Those bags were recycled into our clothes. My mom would sew the cutest little dresses from the bags. It would be like Christmas!! :)

Things for the Amish have changed a little bit. The more technology creeps in, the more the youth (as was the case with myself) decide to leave…

I cannot go back. However, I really love the idea of creating a self sustaining community again. This time, based upon green living, and not a religion. Vive diversity!! ;)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:

Love what you guy’s have shared. The thread has so much more room for all kinds of memories now(:

Thanks to you guys I’ve changed the original thread idea

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I had 2 wonderful parents. They were professionals and worked a lot: Mom was a RN who had lots of specialities, and Dad was an editor, writer and reporter; human interest, sports and medical. Much later,when he retired he worked as editor for the Presidents Council for Physical Fitness. I remember him writing statements for various presidents. As you can tell I was very proud of both of them

As a child, my older male siblings were not into brotherly love, so my folks made sure I had someone in the house watching me. I had a lovely live-in housekeeper named Betty. Would I love to find her. She was only with me for 4 years;though they were 4 very important years. She was with me when Kennedy died and when Martin Luther King was very active. She explained who these great men were in our country, because I didn’t understand all of the peaceful marches with everyone shouting We Shall Overcome. She taught me about prejudice, because I didn’t understand people hating. I didn’t even know it existed. She showed me evidence of it, and what our leaders at that time were doing to fight against it. When the rioting began I really needed someone to explain; I am so glad she took the time. I grew up outside of DC and Betty explained in “little-one” language what was happening “downtown”.

We used to go downstairs in my house and watch her favorite tv shows, that are classics today; Peyton Place with stars like Mia Farrow

I used to bring home friends for lunch, and Betty made my friends and I tuna sandwiches, speghetti-o’s and chocolate milk. I felt like I had a Queen’s meal. Everything was made with what I wanted in it, and what I didn’t want taken out. She’ll never know how her catering to my little desires made such a warm impression on me, making me feel so special.

Of course,if it wasn’t for my wonderful mother, there would’ve been any Betty. It was my mom, who made sure when she wasn’t looking out for me, someone was.

Losing my folks was a surreal experience. It took awhile before the memories of their love, turned into the hugs that kept me warm. I feel them with me, still acknowledging whatever my choices are, they are sure I am doing my best(:

I’ll write more later. Thanks, MM, MCM for broadening the thread(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
I loved the history you shared. What a unique and wonderful life(:
Thank you so much for sharing it(:

Jeff, loved your warm story of your youth(: Your memories of your Dad and his ways, really put a smile on my face(:

And it was the 2 of you that motivated me to share a bit about my own childhood. Thanks, it was a nice experience remembering and sharing w/you all(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie’s post:

I was 16 sixteen when I went to Tina Turner, I have good memories of the evening, it was so cool! I was accompanied with two of the coolest guys ever who lived up the road from us, there was a group of us that always used to hang out together, here is us cruising in a Holden down the city, listening to Pat Benatar for all her glory! Totally awesome it was!

My next concert after that was with my Mum and my eldest boys Dad, we went and saw Midnight Oil. They are a pretty cool band too.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think I saw Midnight Oil when I was about 16 – it was the first big concert I went to, mostly saw small live bands at the local Surf Club (getting in underage). My next biggie was U2 & BB King. I my late teens early 20’s saw Violent Femmes, They Might Be Giants, The Cure, The Church, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

I remember my friend’s little brother strutting along the verandah in his Mum’s high heels & hand bag singing Tina Turner’s What’s Love Got to do with it.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

During my childhood, I didn’t see too many live concerts. I did see the big hit play Hair in the late 60’s, with MY FAMILY!

Hair explores many of the themes of the hippie movement of the ’60s. Theatre writer Scott Miller explained why the hippie movement embraced these themes:

Quoted from Wikipedia, I couldn’t link to it. This is the theme of the play:

[T]he youth of America, especially those on college campuses, started protesting all the things that they saw wrong with America: racism, environmental destruction, poverty, sexism and sexual repression, violence at home and the war in Vietnam, depersonalization from new technologies, and corruption in politics…. Contrary to popular opinion, the hippies had great respect for America and believed that they were the true patriots, the only ones who genuinely wanted to save our country and make it the best it could be once again…. [Long] hair was the hippies’ flag—their… symbol not only of rebellion but also of new possibilities, a symbol of the rejection of discrimination and restrictive gender roles (a philosophy celebrated in the song “My Conviction”). It symbolized equality between men and women. In addition… the hippies’ chosen clothing also made statements. Drab work clothes (jeans, work shirts, pea coats) were a rejection of materialism. Clothing from other cultures, particularly the Third World and native Americans, represented their awareness of the global community and their rejection of U.S. imperialism and selfishness. Simple cotton dresses and other natural fabrics were a rejection of synthetics, a return to natural things and simpler times. Some hippies wore old World War II or Civil War jackets as way of co-opting the symbols of war into their newfound philosophy of nonviolence

I was only 11 or 12 when I saw it.
Does anyone remember this play?
If you can google Wikipedia 60’s musical hair, I think you’ll find it very interesting. I was w/my family (included mom and dad), and remember feeling somewhat shocked w/the 20 second nude scene, and the sex and drug songs, mostly because I was young and being w/mom and dad. Mind you, this was pre-MTV. That was such an unusual time.

From a site called Musical Heaven
“…be free, no guilt, be whoever you are, do whatever you want, just as long as you don’t hurt anyone.” This Utopian philosophy incorporates many concepts which supply lyrics for a show comprised almost exclusively of rock musical numbers”

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Oh cool Laurie, that would have been so neat to see! I wish I seen it. Sounds similar to Hairspray movie that was out this year? Racism and dance etc. Hardcase movie. I love watching Plays. My cousin who would be a year older than me loved acting, it was a pleasure watching him up stage, he played Oliver Twist. Sometime last year the kids and I saw Bubsy Malone at my eldest boy high school, I was in total awe in what these teenagers did, they were spectular to watch, it was out of this world.

I think Tina Turner and Midnight Oil were the only two big concerts I have ever been too, due to not many bands coming out this way, money was tight, and no one to go with (sad) nevermind, I made up during my rebels days of amatatur bands around the local pubs etc, they were everywhere. Those were the days.

Nice now that we have our council doing free concerts at our local parks/reserves, they bring the crowd in, all sorts of ages.

I plan on seeing David Gray when he has plans on doing another concert out here.

I do like Utopian philosophy ‘…be free, no guilt, be whoever you are, do whatever you want, just as long as you don’t hurt anyone’

I see an affirmation. :-)

“I am free from guilt, I can be myself and do whatever I want, just as long as I dont hurt anyone”

In response to Vivi used to be focused but now she’s ????‘s post:

Oh gor you went to heaps of concerts Viv! Cool! I love the song by Midnight Oil – Blue Sky Mine, I think that is why we went to see them, just for that one song lol. I remember my Mum couldnt see properly, she was a very tiny pettie lady, so my sons Dad offered to sit her up on his shoulders, it was so funny!

One childhood memory I would like to share with you, Its of my Mum, I am watching her running and jumping as she is trying to touch the high boards at her high school up north when we went travelling, it was a really special day for her remising with us what she did when she was younger, she told us that is what she used to do.

We used to do alot of travelling in the North Island, my favourite would have to be Cape Regina, that is where you see the two seas meet, it was quite fascinating to see it for real, always believed it wasnt true, but it is. You can see different shades of blue with a light visual line down the middle of the water, kinda weird. I want to do a another tour up there one day with my family, it is a fair drive, hopefully one day (crossfingers) nice to show the kids what I saw when I was younger and also to have the memories flow back to me when we travelling along the roads.

Another memory Mum told us is when she was younger she was dressed up to hilt walking down the road, a guy in a truck drove past her and he couldnt stop looking at her and then he went down the bank!

I have another memory I have is coming back from one of many trips is of seeing my Dad jump over a fence grabbing two baby turkeys and rasing them as pets lol. That was really funny! We had them for a long time, every morning they used to google google, much with the anorance of waking up our neighbours, lol, their names were Arlow and Gertia, they had a baby turkey thou it didnt last very long, appartently we were meant to separate them. We couldnt keep them anymore, the noise got to the neighbours and they started to get angry, so we waited at night time and Dad dropped them over a farm fence. Lucky people they were to have got them!

I have so much memories that is flowing out of me, dont know if my fingers can keep up with it all, I do make misakes when this happens to me, I have a memory of all of us going out on our jet boat, it was a awesome boat, Dad would go so fast in it, he was a great driver, well this particular day, Dad decided to go ashore and grapped some grapes from a property, we waited, Mum, me and my two sisters eagerly for these grapes, only to hear the banger go off and then see my Dad stumpling on the ground, we all screamed caused we saw blood! He was playing silly buggers as usual! The blood was from the grapes lol.

We did alot of offroad racing too, we owned alot of Volkswagons, had the ol’ Kombie Van, painted black with strips of red, yellow and green, we used to call it our Rastifian Van, we had a white Volkswagon Barga, a red Beach Bugger and Offroad, that was really fun, we used to do the Night Rallys, go off camping, race along the beach, 100 lapper in the forestry, racing on farms, and the Mud rallies were the best! Loved it when we were covered in mud, my sisters didnt like it thou, always forever wanting to wash their hands. Every weekend it was offroad time. My Dad is still in the club, he gets the newsletters delivered, he takes the eldest grandchildren, mine and one of sisters with him to the events. He recently just sold the offroader.

……..Just want to say this thread is such a great one, this remising has made my day, I am encouraged now to make a special day down at my Dads showing all the ol’ photos of when I was little to the kids. :-)

The Utopian philosophy was a little naieve (sp?) back then. Though, I’m in agreement with you free of guilt, as long as no one gets hurt; not others , not us(:

(:Refresh my memory about HairSpray

This reminiscing has been great for me too;hearing you guys and remembering the ol’days(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Just tried to link to the wikipedia info on Hair the musical again. How frustrating! Don’t know why I can’t link it. The only thing if you do want to check it out is to type in the following: Hair 60’s (musical)

and pull up the one that says Wikipedia info, if it interests you(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Laurie, wasn’t it made to a movie late 70s? The songs on youtube:

Let the sunshine in
Aquarius

What a beautiful thread! I so enjoyed reading everyone’s memories of their childhood.

I remember my first ever memory was of light playing on the ceiling of my parents’ room. I must have been about 1 month old. It was distinctive because the ceiling had decorative moldings stuck to it – the light emphasised the patterns.

My parents didn’t listen to western music – we listened to Chinese opera. In fact – one of my fondest memories is of my Dad singing his favourite pieces. He was such a practical man, a farmer, earthy, but still he loved his opera and he could sing! Maybe in China the stereotyping is different :)

When Dad died, I inherited his green thumbs (they were BIG thumbs!) and now I grow with no effort, it hasn’t always been like that! I have been responsible for many a brown withered plant :P

My uncles bought western music to the house. It was the 70s so we got a dose of ABBA, Rod Stewart, Doris Day (Que Sera!) and Boz Scaggs :)

Wow, how can I fit all my memories down. I’m going to write it all down, I know in the process I will remember more. What a gift for my son :)

Focus

In response to aftab’s post:

No, wow, I never had heard of Hair (the musical) as a movie. It sounds and appears quite different from what I remember. Were you able to see what they had on Wikipedia?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Yes, and it pretty much sound the same to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_(musical)
Just read it again, it mentions 1979 film adaptation.
(guess the linking does not like paranthesis)
Did you watch the videos completely? The first one is actually the sarcastic end of the movie, where the wrong guy gets recruted and sent to vietnam.

In response to aftab’s post:
Maybe, I didn’t see them to the end(: Thanks for checking it out(: That was sweet.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to freygan’s post:
Love hearing of your memories, and would’ve loved to hear your Dad’s singing. Wow, a chinese opera. I wish I could be introduced to that music. Sounds like you have beautiful, beautiful memories. I’d love to hear more(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

as requested Laurie here are some of my childhood memories:

the 1st pop group I remember really liking was Bucksfizz they won THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST for the UK in 1981 when I was around 7 and a half.
Later at fourteen I liked Rick Astley, Jason Donovon and Kylie Minogue and had albums from all of them.

I used to like watching the carnival in November too; My home town of Bridgwater has a carnival on the friday nearest the 5th of November (used to be Thursday nearest the 5th but got changed for some reason). Its at night and it was wonderful to see all the bright lights and hear the music related to the theme of the float (or cart as theyre know locally :)). Carnivals a big thing in Bridgwater and I had a few friends who were in carnival clubs. I dont go anymore because I move to Wellington 10 years ago and work commitments keep me from going :(.

Other childhood memories include, going to football and cricket matches with my Dad. Trips to the seaside, school trips to museaums and other places of interest. Oh and going to the fair in september :)

enjoy life!

In response to best78’s post:
Sounds like great fun!

I don’t know the musical groups you speak of. Are they on youtube?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I grew up in the city of Chicago, so in the summertime, I loved visiting grammaw in “small town Indiana USA”. She always had fruit cobblers for us and we would go to the “square” and get a lime soda at the soda stand. I remember going to pick greens or mushrooms which she turned into manna from heaven.
In later years – high school – the BEST! My first love -Rich, Pep Club and singing My Girl in the locker room. The Beatles, the Stones, the Turtles etc., etc., etc.
Live Concerts for me: Rolling Stones, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Beach Boys, Kenny Loggins, Lynnard Skynnard, Richard Palmer and then Sarah Brightman.

In response to best78’s post:
Never gonna give youuu up, never gonna let youuu doooowwwn…never gonna…lalala you… I loved that song :-)

It is so lovely to read all these wonderful memories.

A memory that has come to my mind recently is one that I was actually older, early 20s I think. I was in Nietherlands with my parents and my eldest sister. One sunny sunday we went to the beautiful town of Delft, where there was a lovely market with yummi looking fruits. So we bought quit a few fruits.
Now my mother was always very concerned about hygiene and would washing everything. My eldest sister and myself have picked more after my father, who are not so picky as to where we eat and would pick a fruit off any tree and eat it.
So the whole time at the market the 3 of us were picking at the fruits behind my mothers back and every once in a while my father would complain to her: The children are eating all the fruits unwashed!
My father was always very calm and very witty.
By the time we got back to the hotel there was nothing left for my mother. She did not complain a word. (Guess was happy with her cheese with rye.)

This is for you best78

Never Gonna’ Give You Up

I always likes Rick Astley, I remember hearing him on the radio and then being stunned when I actually saw who was doing the singing. I couldn’t believe that voice was coming out of a guy that looked like that. Nothing wrong with what he looked like, but I thought he was more of a Barry White looking guy!

Here are a few more songs as long as I’m at it.
Together Forever

That made me think of this, mainly because it makes me think of voices. Here is Elton John and George Michael. I’m posting it to draw your attention to Elton John’s voice. George Michael has a fine voice and I like his music, but what I want you to pay attention to if Elton’s voice when he comes in. Notice how rich and powerful his voice is.

Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me

Here’s one of the greatest songs ever written.
Your Song

Okay, now I can’t stop myself.
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
Goodbye England’s Rose
And what about this?
Summer Highland Falls
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
New York State of Mind

I’ll stop soon, but first…
Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans

I guess this came to mind because I was listening to England’s Rose, and then I thought of William Blake’s poem. And the I thought of ELP

C’est La Vie
okay, last one, for real this time
Jerusalem

JERUSALEM (from ‘Milton’)

by: William Blake (1757-1827)

AND did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant land.

Great, now I’m gonna have to make a poetry post! How about a little Walt Whitman! Let’s sing the body electric, baby!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks for being my music interpreter(: I mean it. Thanks to your youtube contributions, I do know the songs-but never knew who sang them or envisioned the guy looking as he did.

Though w/Elton, never heard Don’t Let The Sun Go Down -song w/both he and George Michael

Elton going solo on that song
Thanks MCM

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I get a little carried away sometimes, but I’m glad you don’t mind.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to jancydat’s post:
Memories for you

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thanks for those MCM :) But for some reason Youtube wont show me the 1st three :(. Shame really because the first 2 in particular would bring back memories. Glad I could get Jeruselem though its such a nice song.

enjoy life!

My Mum was a nurse and usually worked weekends & shiftwork. She said recently that she felt so guilty always working when we were kids. I didn’t feel I missed out at all. We were left to our own devices alot – she felt it was neglectful – we loved the freedom!

To get us out of the house so Mum could sleep, Dad would take us places on the weekends: I loved going to the hardware store best of all, fishing, rollerskating (I can hear Blondie & Sky Hooks playing), and riding in the tray-back of his ute and sliding around as he turned the corners – I’m surprised we never fell out – that would be totally illegal these days!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

I watched “generations”, when I was a child.I really like Adam Marshall.
I used to listen Kaoma’s Lambada song and I still love it.
And I watched old Turkish and American movies.And I still love them.
I was playing games with my 3 friends until the night.
I thought that I could fly like Peter Pan.
I liked studying lessons.
And in winter I liked playing snowball.
And I always contributed dance contests but I could not success it.
I had always wanted to have a sister and bring up her.
and I had no talent to knitting.
I loved travelling then.

My first concert I ever went to was when I was in elementary school. We went on a field trip to Mudd College in California. It was so beautiful because we heard all of Johann Strauss’ music.

I am of Mexican decent and my dad was a bootlegger and my mom a socailite.
We grew up with lots of different music. In Mexican music there are various types not just marachis. We heard dixieland jazz, tangos, country, benny goodman, tommy dorsey, scottish bagpipes, waltzes and poetry, Ink Spots, opera and of coures music from the 40’s, 50’s and onward. I always remember Perry Como’s “Catch a Falling Star”

My mom played the piano and my brothes guitars, harmonica, drums and I sang. Family get toghers were a blast. Lots of dancing and delicious food! The movie “Like water for chocolate” was the way my mom cooked. I thought I would add a video I found on youtube that reminded me of how my dad and I use to dance. The little girl to the far right dancing with the man was the way my dad and I danced. It left an impact on me because it was as if someone took that film of us. It made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqYctXgM

It really looked like me too and my dad. Later I became a professional mexican dancer. This was one dance our group did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTJr_Q4BWQ

I belonged to the Beatles Fan Club and was sent all kinds of their pictures.

My favorite child star was Shirley Temple and so loved her in “Heidi and when she danced with Bill Bojangles Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM&feature=related

Enjoy,

Peace and love,
Mary

In response to godscreation’s post:
I loved your childhood stories(: All of them(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I was about five, when my cousins, who were supposed to be babysitting me, took me to Woodstock. I am sure there has been a lifelong impression and imprint, based on the person I emerged as, but think that another part to this reply is equally relevant…

I consider the film “The Sound of Music” to be equally on par with the first concert (I saw the film one year prior to Woodstock), and my favourite childhood star was immediately Julie Andrews. I also wanted to be a nun from that time forward… which fortunately shifted a bit, but manifest in my lifelong spiritual path as a contemplative (singing) monk!

In my home, growing up, the majority of music that played was Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand, Connie Francis (in Italian only), and Mario Lanza. As a teen, I repeatedly threw in Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell, but my tastes in music presently still reflect that earlier influence (Michael Bubble, Sinatra, Garland, Streisand, Harry Connick Jr, Deva Premal).

I’ve missed all of you… apologise for my absence during this slow, but steady recovery from extensive orthopaedic reconstructive surgery.

Namasté!

In response to dharmadude’s post:
Woodstock at 5 .. And to think, I thought seeing the play Hair with my family was a trip(:

dharmadude, you’ve been missed around here as well(:

My best to you in re:to a speedy & wonderful recovery from your surgery(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

This has been a great thread to read. Childhood memories mostly center around our family trips to the shore, in particular a small town called Ocean Gate. My mother, born in 1918 was taken there as a child and we followed suit when my brother and I came along. As life unfolded I now live about 1 mile from that town and still enjoy special things about that quaint ½ square mile of fun.

My first concert would have to be on Steel Pier to see The Supremes, now this was before they became Diana Ross and the Supremes. And I’m think it would have been around 1965 or so. I went with my then girl friend, now wife of 40 years. Of course while on Steel Pier you have to see the diving horse and the rest of the exciting things like the diving bell and many other wonders.

Along with Dharmadude, “The Sound Of Music” was my first musical movie I remember and to this day consider it my favorite one. I have had the opportunity to visit Austria where it was filmed, and sing the songs in my car all the time…Do a deer, a female deer, and so on. “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” was another favorite from the day. I was a beach bum. Not the kind who was a body builder, a surfer or anything special, just loved the beach to sit and chat, swim, and watch nature in her finest. I was in the military when Woodstock took place so I couldn’t participate. But at that time I was in Germany doing service for God and Country and lovin’ every minute of it. Got to really grow up there, was married there and had my first son there.

I remember school in Philadelphia very well, remember all my teachers from kindergarten on. In fact, remember the little town of “Ocean Gate”? The crossing guard from my grammar school (I was there from 1956 for 8 years) she still lives today in that little town and I recently visited her.
My parents crossed over way too early, they didn’t have the opportunity to meet and to know my terrific kids, nor to see what man I became. That sometimes saddens me, but then on the other hand, I know they’re watching and smiling!

Finally, one really special childhood memory, going to ‘Laddies’ and getting lemon sherbet.

…those were the days…

Blessings,
Bruce-
Each Day Is A New Gift From God!

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content