login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Question for people who record affirmations

I’ve been hearing for years that when you record affirmations for playback, they should be phrased as “you are” affirmations, such as “You are a millionaire” instead of the usual “I am a millionaire”. So I’m wondering if anyone uses the “you are” phraseology and does it work better for you than the “I am” phraseology?

What an interesting question. I’m going to try both. Though, my gut says they’d both help, just not on the same tape. I would probably also think they might assist us in different ways. I am definitely gong to try both and get back to you. Great thread! May I ask if you read it in a particular place, that I could further read about it as well.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi Laurie, I read it in at least three places. But the one that’s most accessible, interesting, and practical would be in this product: http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/professionals.php Another came from a pamphlet from a seduction guru (Ross Jeffries, to be exact).

The book I first heard it from comes from this company and address: Finbarr International (GB). Folkestone, Kent. CT29 2QQ. England. They don’t seem to have a website, and I forgot the author’s name, but if you write to that address, they supposedly will send you a catalog. I think I might do that myself.

The theory is that people are more influenced by what people tell them (parents, teachers, etc.) than what they tell themselves. I’m sure it’s the other way around for some people, but the theory does seem sound. And the NeuroProgrammer says that research shows that “you are” affirmations are better for you if you are listening to them on tape.

I found the author’s name, it’s James of Cullinan

And here’s the name of the book: ‘Faster steps to changing yourself without willpower or effort’

Actually, looking at the Finbarr products, they got some weird, far out new-agey stuff, and the book by James F. Cullinan is out of print, anyway.

(I wish there was an edit button so I didn’t have to make so many posts when something new comes to mind :-))

HI Clamshellninja, thats quite interesting, I am quite positive it will work exactly the same way as saying “I am….” having playback on audio with someone saying “You are…..” Just by visualizing people or persons telling you what they think of you. Sounds pretty cool to me.

(Oh and inregards to your wishing for an edit button lol, there is one, right by your name and by other members as well, just place your cursor over the faint icons to the right of your name and they are there, edit, delete, link etc)

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Pure Essence. They don’t show up very well on my LCD monitor. In fact, they are practically invisible unless I’m looking at them straight on.

No worries Clamshellninja, it took me awhile to see them on my screen.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

In response to clamshellninja’s post:

I am not sure where I read this, but I think madcookieman has it in one of his posts that you should do your affirmations in first, second, and third person when you are recording for the highest effect.

JEFF: If you read this, can you comment?

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In Shakti Gawain’s book: Creative Visualization http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Visualization-Imagination-Create-Gawain/dp/1577312295/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233019042&sr=8-2
She goes in-depth with affirmations, and she has a process where you write down your affirmations in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person to help uncover your hidden negative beliefs.

In response to clamshellninja’s post:
Thanks clamshellninja.
The theory you mentioned is kind of what crossed my mind. If I’m listening to a motivation speaker that generally speaks in the “you” form, it’s wonderful. I seem to trust and respond quite well. Though when I speak to myself, in the “I am”, it feels right, but feels like a process I need to take in to get past negativity. So what you’re saying about saying an affirmation in 1st 2nd and 3rd person makes a lot of sense to me.

And again, I thank you for all of the references. i’m going to check it out. Great thread!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hey guys, I just tried all three. So I did this:

My inner vision is always clear and focused.

Wendy, your inner vision is always clear and focused.

Wendy’s inner vision is always clear and focused.

Whenever I hear myself say my name, I find that I immediately “wake up” even though consciously I know that it is I who is talking to me on the tape.

Wow thats very powerful Sweetwendelina! I understand now and can see it would give you a different effect for sure. I am in desperate need of a taping for myself, I am very keen to hear myself in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person lol.

I definitely think it is best to record your affirmations like this.

I am healthy.
You are healthy.
Jeff is healthy.

I’m not sure how to say this, but it not only important to state your affirmations in a way that states how you see yourself, but it is also important to state them in a way that affects how you believe others see you. I’m pretty sure there is research to support this.

The point is, if you believe others see you as a happy outgoing person, you will live up to the expectation.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I’m glad people are enjoying this thread!

I have other questions: do you play your affirmations loud enough that they drown out other things? Or do you play them so you can have a conversation with the affirmations playing in the background? Do you feel you need to consciously hear every syllable to get anything out of them? Do you feel you even need to pay attention to the words?

Also, what do you feel about playing affirmations in your sleep?

I almost always play my affirmations while I am sleeping. Loud enough to understand the words, but not so loud I can’t fall asleep.

An interesting book some of you might want to check out is, Influence by Robert B. Cialdini. An interesting, if not fascinating book much of it deals with how we see ourselves and how we are influenced by how we believe others see us. It also goes into how others (like big corporations and unscrupulous people) can use this knowledge to influence and exploit us.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thank you, themadcookieman, I will check out that book.

Ive just got round to recording my affirmations in 2nd and 3rd person mode.

enjoy life!

Hi,

I have been using the james f. cullinan book for over 10 years , it’s really fantastic book.It’s got so many info/tips that will help you.

In his book he recommends you say ‘ You are ‘ if you listening to a tape ( no-one uses tapes , we in this age we use Mp3 files)

Using the affirmations as themadcookieman , said will work as aswell .

Anyway , good luck!

It also depends on the emotional intensity of the affirmation’

there are 4 types of affirmations:
1.Thought”
2.Word”
3.Feeling
4.Action”
3 of each type would be a good starting place”

a lot of the affirmations on this site are really good in this connection

Your brain is an electronic switching station that controls the voltage to the central nervous system so in order to impress the subconcious mind to take action its pretty important that you seriously work with the awsome power of your emotions” and believe,believe,believe as though failure is not an option”

urban yogi

Rama Dass
Teacher of Power Meditation

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content