login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★White / Pink Noise

Does anyone else use white noise to help them concentrate?

I must have overly sensitive ears or something, because I find the smallest of sounds incredibly distracting. This is true when I’m trying to concentrate (reading, working etc) or trying to relax (sleeping, meditating etc)

I listen to music too, but more often than not I prefer to listen to ambient style music (Biosphere, HIA, Namlook, Basinski, Muslimgauze etc) and so it does little to mask the distracting sounds, and is of course distracting in itself due to it’s brilliance and beauty.

An obsession with noise music (Merzbow, Carlos Giffoni etc) helps but once again this is distracting in its excellence, intensity and/or intricacy (or arrogance, depending on the song/piece and how you look at it :) )

White noise is great but I find pink noise masks more distractions. Unfortunately neither do much to help with intrusive bass beats from downstairs or next door but it will help with almost everything else.

I’ve recently watched a documentary on sensory deprivation where they blindfolded volunteers and played loud white noise into headphones which cupped their ears. What a great way to meditate I thought!

I found a fantastic free source of white noise which works great on my computer but unfortunately when played on my iPod there’s a gap between each play loop and as the loop is only 30 seconds long this wasn’t acceptable. Fortunately I found another site that offered free one hour long tracks, perfect!

I waited till Mel went out and made a space on the floor. I put my headphones in, wrapped a black tshirt around my head and got to it. (A side note, I should set up a camera as I’m sure this must look hilarious! I’m still looking for an eye patch that works as well as a black shirt though)

After less than a minute I swear I could hear people talking, although I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying. I pulled out my head phones but heard nothing. This happened a few more times with random sounds but after I settled down and realized that it was just my head playing tricks on me (I have an insanely active mind, and imagination it seems!) I was able to really relax in the most isolated place in the entire world!

I still use pink noise to meditate in this way, and I still use it every day to help me concentrate.

Have you tried using pink or white noise? How do you use it? Which do you prefer and why?

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

What an amazing experience Lee!

My only experience with white noise is assisting sleep. Not like I need it though, my brain shuts off as soon as my head hits the pillow! But I find when white noise is playing, even if I’m not in the most comfortable sleep position (e.g. on a couch or perched in a chair) I will find myself drifting off for a nap and less little distractions, as you said, will wake me up.

If anyone has trouble sleeping out there, I’d highly recommend white noise :)

Without wishing to appear ignorant I am not sure of the distinction between pink noise and white noise. Indeed I am not sure what white noise is!!! must have missed that lesson. I have terrible trouble sleeping, due mainly to an over active imagination, all sorts of thoughts fill my head when I try to relax and sleep. Any help would be appreciated

In response to goddess’s post:

It’s not ignorant, I’m not really sure of the difference either. From Wikipedia (white noise, pink noise)

White noise is a random signal (or process) with a flat power spectral density. In other words, the signal contains equal power within a fixed bandwidth at any center frequency.

Pink noise or 1/ƒ noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is proportional to the reciprocal of the frequency.

That doesn’t mean much to me :) They are both basically just fuzz, what you’d see and hear on an untuned analog television set.

I prefer pink noise because to my ears it’s easier to listen to and seems to block out more distractions. I know that white noise is used in sensory deprivation experiments so perhaps I’m wrong about it blocking more out, but it does seem to be the case in my experience.

I have the same problem with sleeping and use pink noise in headphones sometimes to help with it. Especially if I’m attempting to sleep during the day when there’s lots of outside noise coming in.

It doesn’t stop the flood of thoughts, you’ll still get that, but I find that it prevents me from getting ‘distracted’ from my thoughts so they’re allowed to kind of act out their full course. It seems that I go deeper and deeper ‘inside’ my head until I’m fast asleep :)

Without the noise, one thought will start and then I’ll hear something from outside which causes me to momentarily forget the initial thought and consider what might be making the noise, or be slightly annoyed that it distracted me. Even though I can let go of this frustration immediately, the ‘damage’ is done, I’m distracted and it’s like I need to ‘start again’.

Really strange I know, but as I said, pink noise really helps with that :)

Thanks Lee, I am not sure if by reading Wikipedia’s explanation I am any the wiser!!!! So can you get pink/white noise on tape or from some other source. I am interested in anything that will help we sleep. It seems my problem is similar to yours.

i love all types of music and there is a time and place for noise when i really need to concentrate on something. if you want something similar to noise that is great to meditate to try the Delta Signal which is the signal that your brain wavelengths oscilate at during deep sleep, its great for meditation and can also stimulate your “energy body” and cause spontaneous astral projections. its pretty easy to download just google delta signal

I used to work with music. Mostly techno ambient. I have an impressive collection from the late 90’s.

Right now, I work with silence. The more I play my shakuhachi, the more I appreciate the silence between the notes.

If I have too much sensory input, I get stressed. I need lots of silence and not many words to maintain my well being!

Focus

In response to freygan’s post:
I love ambient, techno ambient is good too :) Are you talking aphex twin etc?

The silence between the notes, that reminds me of a meditation I used to do where you focus on the space between the out and in breath.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content