login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Why Do Some Affirmations Work While Others Don't?

I’ve noticed that some affirmations really strike me – I look at them and they touch me in a special way. Whereas others, I look at them, and they do absolutely nothing for me.

I think one reason why some affirmations work for some but not others has to do with inherent difference, but I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts on the matter.

Give examples of affirmations that do nothing for you, and ones that do..

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Well, two popular ones:

“Wealth is pouring into my life.”

“I radiate love and happiness.”

Those are both very beautiful, and it’s obvious that many people here find them very inspiring.

But for me, I look at it and say “Oh, that’s a very nice thing to think.” But then, that’s it.

I hope no one reads this and takes me as being critical of anyone else’s affirmations. Definitely NOT the case! I’m just looking to have a discussion as to why or why not certain words and phrases may have an effect on people but not so much others.

In response to SweetStrongSoul’s post:

I think affirmations are more personalized than you think. What I mean is, what may seem popular may not be true favorites in “everyone’s” life.

When people use imagery and or self hypnosis or exercises like blue mirror ,ideas must fit the subconscious in a somewhat logical ground.

In my opinion the psyche needs to be primed. If you don’t believe that your situation will include money that “just arrives”, stating so (in my view) isn’t the greatest affirmation.

First ask yourself questions about what you think of money, and it making it’s way in your life. If we’re laughing about that idea of gaining something, our affirmation might need a primer affirmation…a footwork affirmation, maybe. We need to accompany all ideas with some footwork, and have ideas where to begin or how to look at this area.

For me, blue mirror assists me and so does process affirmation It is how I prime my psyche to believe why not me?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I happen to have the two affirmations youve mentioned and Im not at all offended that they do nothing for you. Like Laurie says affirmations are personalized, so what resonates with one person may not mean much to someone else. We are all different and although there maybe many people facing similar challenges in life it does not mean they will all go for the same afirmations.

Go for the affirmations that really “speak” to you those are the ones that will work for you.

enjoy life!

Affirmations are definitly personalized and mean different things to different people in different stages of life. What I focus on today is different than you, therefore different affirmations speak to us :-)
I have noticed that an affirmation that was important to me a year ago, has lost its importance and does not speak to me anymore.

…what a wonderful world….

I believe our affirmations tell our stories. They point to those things which we value and which we may feel we need improvement in. In this light, it’s easy to see why our inner voices are just as different as our other physical differences may be. The important thing is that it be POSITIVE and you FEEL it resonate within you. Believe it. Love, Jan

In response to aftab’s post:
I’m with Afi on this one. There are things that were important to me a year ago, that arent so now and therefore those affirmations dont speak to me either – I guess this thread has prompted me to spring clean my affirmations!! Affirmations are really powerful for the time and space you are in and therefore should be chosen/crafted for the here and now – whats important for you at the moment? Its really interesting to know that not all affirmations work for everyone and it makes me think….do we affirm what we know we can achieve? Do we only affirm what we have passion and motivation for? Thanks for this thread – I need to re-address my focus to suit my here and now!! :)

A full and thankful heart..

Hi Anoushka, I affirm that which I wish to attract or improve. My affirmations do change in response to my lifechanges, but some never seem to become unnecessary. For example, one of mine is “I attract positive and fun people” – and I always will. I have several expressing gratitude because I want to keep this to the forefront of my inner voice. So, in answer to your questions: Yes. :) Jan

In response to jancydat’s post:
Insightful Jan – Love it! :)

A full and thankful heart..

love how you said:
“keep this to the forefront of my inner voice”

I think thats what good affirmations are really for.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to anoushka’s post:
Mainly I use affirmations in order to bring on a change. Normally I affirm in order to make a change in my belief system.
What I am absolutely sure of and believe 100%, I do not affirm, rather am grateful for.
For example, I do not need to affirm for good health, since I am healthy and I am grateful for it. Except for when I feel a cold marching in, that is when I affirm my being strong and healthy.

…what a wonderful world….

Like what you said. I think I’m similar in that regard.

Though sometimes I affirm my day, not because I’m fearful of the unknown or don’t think already has merit, but as Jan said..to keep it in the forefront of my inner voice..and to cocreate with my understanding of God-Higher Power-Universe a better version than what my mind eye-sees..because there is always more than our own vision(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Can you explain more about process information to prime one’s psyche to believe an affirmation such as “Wealth is pouring into my life”? I could surely use help in this area.
Love and blessings, AnnieB

In response to AnnieB’s post:
Do you mean process-affirmations?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

We all have different mental associations. One person may have grown up hearing her mother say “Let me pour some orange juice into your cup.” If that person loved orange juice, the affirmation “Wealth is pouring into my cup” might strike a chord with them, lol. I know that sounds silly but it all depends on the mental pictures and words that stimulate you.

In response to anoushka’s post:
In response to best78’s post:
In response to completelyhappy’s post:
In response to db’s post
So agree with you all..

Love hearing everyone’s wonderful thoughts why some affirmations work and others don’t. I too believe it is about a decision, db..

Though like you all say it depends what resonates with you for a particular point in time.

I use process affirmations because:

• when I ‘let go’, and contact/connect with what it is I want/need
  • in conjunction with what I am already communicating to myself..The result is awesome.

I end up with is a:
  • prayerful pep talk for where I am at in the moment
  • melding with all of my abilities I know of
  • and some unknown to me
  • intertwined with a team effort/and a dependency on (my understanding of a Loving Omnipotent) Creator who is with me ever step of the way(:

I feel it is very important to connect with where you are in the moment -turning any inkling of lack of trust of self —to the closest faith-filled position you can conjure. As faith grows ..take it the next level..and then the next. Affirmations grow as we do(

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content