login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Underrated Foods

Similar to this thread but slightly different :P What foods do you consider underrated?

Mine would have to be:

Mushrooms of any kind
Artichoke hearts
Sun or semi dried tomatoes
Chili in any form (red, green, flakes, fresh, sauce whatever)
Spanish Onions

Preferably organic :P

What foods do you consider underrated?

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Brown Rice and Miso soup.

Focus

Kiwis.

Lee, in re: to organic green chile sauce, I found one I love by a company called 505.

http://www.505chile.com/

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

My favorite underrated food during the winter months are the comfort foods of sweet potatoes and butternut squash. These are very healthy for you as well as yummy. Here are a couple of great recipes:

Sweet Potato Soup with Rosemary and Pecans

4 tsp Quatre Epices
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 lbs Sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large Onion, finely cut
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
3 ½ Tbs Butter
32 oz Chicken or vegetable stock
2 Cinnamon sticks
3 Star anise
2 branches fresh rosemary
¾ C Heavy cream
2 oz Chopped pecans
Fry garlic and onions with the butter in a large pot over a medium heat until the onions are soft. Add the yams, cinnamon stick, star anise, and the stock. Remove the rosemary needles and reserve, tossing the branch into the pot. Raise the heat and bring to a boil; simmer half covered for 20 minutes or until the yams are soft.
Remove the pot from the heat and discard the cinnamon sticks and the star anise. In a food processor, purée the soup in batches until smooth. Return the puréed soup to the pot, add the remaining spices and cream, and heat just to the boiling point. Taste and correct the seasonings, if necessary. If the soup is too thick, add a bit of milk or stock.
To serve, garnish with the reserved rosemary needles, minced very fine, and pecan pieces.

Winter Squash & Apple Soup Recipe
2 C Butternut squash
2 C Sweet potato, peeled & diced
3 med Apples, peeled & chopped
1 med Onion, chopped
2 C Water
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper

Bring the vegetables, apples and water to a boil in a saucepan on high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Add spices and use a food processor to blend the mixture. Heat in the saucepan again on low heat until hot.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Thank you for the recipes meditatingmama. I love sweet potato and am always looking for different ways to cook it. I think it is grossly underrated as a vegie. Try grating it with zucchini and carrot and putting in a basic muffin recipe along with a pinch or two of cayenne pepper and some grated cheese. Yum
Here is a soup recipe that I love and make every winter
Sweet Potato, Carrot and Ginger Soup
1kg Sweet potato, 1kg carrots both peeled and cut into large pieces
1 lge Brown onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic peeled and coarsley chopped
4 cups chicken or vegie stock
1 stalk lemongrass cut into 3 pieces
200ml lo fat coconut cream
200ml water, 1 × 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
sakt and freshly ground black pepper
coriander leaves

Place potato, carrot, onion and garlic into a large saucepan, add stock and lemongrass, simmer until vegies are soft. Remove lemongrass pieces, add coconut cream, water and chopped ginger, cook further five minutes
Allow to cool slightly, puree till smooth, season with salt/pepper and garnish with coriander leaves.

This is a lot of soup, so you can halve it, but it freezes well, so I usually make up the whole batch
Delicious!!!!

Wow those recipes are great!

I eat lots of sweet potato. My favourite way to have them is roasted on the fire (whole). Cut up, then season with salt, pepper and olive oil, add fresh herbs. YUM.

I had this last night, the sweet potato got BURNT because my flatmate had a visitor and left the cooking for 10 mins :)

I love to eat!

Focus

pickled onions – I’m eating one now, just as is. same line as gherkins and pickles mmmmm

pomegranates

I remember as a child Mum giving me and our Dave them and and a big sewing needle and we sat for ages eating one seed! at atime ,getting them out with the needle – it kept us quiet and occupied for at least an hour

love flowergirl

In response to AppreciationView˚‘s post:
I am so glad I came across this old thread… ‘forever’ I have been trying to find a particular condiment … and I posted it on Lee’s underrated food thread(: My gut tells me one day, others will be finding gems that were meant just for them… even on threads that are old, and the members then were unfamiliar to you(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Let me throw one out there. Sounds funny, but, it is good. Try some spinich with nutmeg on it.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content