login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Hidden Motives

Motive. Motives. Motivation.

You may not know what they are, but, you cannot escape them. If you keep striving for something and it keeps eluding you, you probably don’t really want it. More than likely it’s a “it’d be nice to have if it were given to me” kind of thing. I’m going to retire early this evening with a pen and a pad and list a bunch of stuff I claim I want, then I’m gonna’ ask myself why I want them. Then I’m gonna’ go to sleep. Hopefully when I wake up I’ll be clearer about some things, but, even if I’m not I think it’ll be a useful exercise. For the most part you are living according to your true motivation right now. It would be good to know what those motives are. Lots of folks say they want to be rich or healthy or good at some thing or another, but, with he exception of some external force beyond your control – a disease or some other major impediment – they don’t really want that blank thing. If they did, they would already have it or they would steadily be moving toward it. Motivation is the enemy of inertia. Lots of us are, in reality, comfortable with our lives they way they are. Comfort zones are called comfort zones for a reason. Imagining a better life and focusing on the benefits you would derive from being your ideal you might help stir you up a little and get you moving toward some “better” things. The clock is ticking.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

hello old friend

Fear.

Fear is a word that leaps to mind. How do fear and motivation interact and how would our whole attitude toward our lives change if fear weren’t standing in our way, not the fear of spiders, but, the fears that are under the surface that we have ignored for so long that we don’t even see them – the ones that only rear their heads when we actually try to make a change? Let’s dust off those fears, hold them in our hands and look at them. See if we can break them. We can. We know we can. If we break some of those fears into dust, then I’m pretty sure our motives would lead us to better things.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hello FG. I’ve missed you.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

This also reminds me of Stages Of Change… Though so often, I believe it is exactly what you said, one has to want to want something….
  • ~
    …. at least a hair more than all they do not want. And in re: to comfort zones…sometimes its fear…or too much work for some and some things…and some times its a satisfaction that one wants to bask in, because they’ve been other places and this is the best it has been… oh could be lots of things(:

I believe if one looks at their lives … with heart & decide how looking at … personal values for this time in life or creating a mission statement…. daily changes begin. [SRWE has created wonderful threads in this area]

For myself, at this stage of life, I had to stop looking at all of the things that once inspired me…because it leads to things that once inspired me …. and I needed to see what today is calling for…at this stage of life. It has been an interesting time… checking this out. This comes from a heart-place… That is where the inspiration is…(for me) (:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content