login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

So much wonderful info about exercise

An Exercise Site I Like
Guide for Site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following is quoted from:
RawFoodExplained.com

3. The Elements Of A Well-Rounded Activity Program
A well-rounded activity program brings into use the entire body musculature, some 700 in number, from head to foot.

3.1 Stretching
Our day should begin with stretching! After a night of rest and sleep, the musculature should be slowly brought back to active status. There are hundreds of little things to do that stretch various body muscle systems. Undertake to learn stretching exercises so that you can use them daily, especially upon awakening. A book on hatha yoga is useful for discovering stretching exercises.

3.2 Warming Up
Stretching is for awakening musculature and, indeed, the brain, bringing it to a high state. Warming up consists in doing very light exercises to get the body minimally oxygenized and operable.

3.3 Intensifying Activities
Warming-up exercises should be heightened to the level of vigorousness and strenuousness. For instance, if we jogged 100 yards or so, did some squats, situps, etc., to warm up with, we might intensify activities by jumping jacks, a short sprint, pushups, chinups, or something that takes advantage of the warming and puts a heavier demand upon musculature.

3.4 Jogging, Running, and Sprinting
These are all constructive exercises. It has been said that two-hundred yards of sprinting is worth a mile of jogging. However that might be, I feel that both are good. I end a two-mile jog with a sprint of perhaps a quarter mile for, after the first mile plus I can sprint with abandon, whereas I cannot go but a short distance at the beginning.

3.5 Biking, Hiking, and Swimming
These exercises are elective as are others. Exercises chosen should suit one’s inclinations and abilities. Exercises will widen your activity horizons in any event.

3.6 Weight-Lifting or Resistance Exercises for Strength and Weight Gain
Everyone should be put on some resistance exercises to greater or lesser extent. Legs, arms, and body musculature generally develop rapidly under weight-lifting with arms, legs, and body through squats, etc. Pushups and chinups are especially good at developing the upper torso while weights on the shoulder while doing squats produce general body musculature otherwise.

3.7 Coordinative and Training Exercises
Not only should you have a varied regimen of exercises, but you should adopt exercises that coordinate the whole body. For instance, skipping rope is not only a good warmup exercise, but it does marvels for developing body coordination. There are many other coordinative activities which you should cultivate in yourself and clients.

3.8 Accelerating Activities for More Benefit in Less Time
As mentioned, intensified activities such as jumping jacks, sprinting and faster pacing or regular exercises place a greater demand upon the body that causes the same exercise benefits to accrue in a fraction of the time. It bears repeating that perhaps a few hundred yards of sprinting is worth a mile of jogging though, to be sure, a jog should be accelerated to running and huffing and puffing all-out sprinting at the end. An intense, continuous demand upon the body for six minutes or more generates the many benefits heretofore cited. Of course, it is advisable to precede intense sustained activities with 15 to 20 minutes of stretching, warmup calisthenics, and moderate exercises such as swimming, jogging, and biking.

3.9 Gardening and Constructive Activity
While all vigorous activity is constructive if it does not injure, there are some that are very beneficial. Gardening, which creates a food supply, is soul-satisfying as well as physically/mentally constructive. I suggest that you and your clients start gardening, orcharding, and beautifying your grounds as much as possible. Remember, even indoor gardening is constructive, for plants remove some aerial poisons while reoxygenating the air.

3.10 Hobbies and Work that Keep Us Vigorously Active and Fit
There are many hobbies that require much and varied physical exertion, especially shop work involved in making things. Your and your clients’ inclinations will dispose you to a hobby. Keep in mind that a hobby should never be permitted to substitute for exercise. It should be in addition! Both the hobby and the exercise go better with each other.

3.11 Games to Play for Exercise of Self, Mate, and Friends
Few exercises are as beneficial as social exercises. As gregarious beings, humans thrive best while interacting with each other. Thus games like tennis, badminton, volleyball, baseball, and other vigorous noncontact sports are ideal forms of recreation. Play that meets both physical and social needs has a certain advantage over solo efforts though, to be sure, solo efforts permit of cogitation and reflection that build character and strength of purpose.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’ve been trying to find out more about exercising and working out for my body type. Some people are natrally skinny and some people are naturally stocky. Here is one article I have found so far. If you find anymore please let me know. Also; photo’s of body types and pics of people with different body types who are in great shape.

Building arms

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

You’re right Laurie, I’m finding plenty of great info. I really like the bodybuilding.com site.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Here are a couple of very interesting videos I found. I am going to try this, please give it a view. It’s about Burst training and why it works so well.
Why Burst Training Works So Well
How To Do It

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
Hey MCM,great video! That is the technique I used to incorporate regularly and am making part of my current plan with my treadmill I have at home, and the one at our gym.

I first heard about it from a book from Dr. Al Sears. He called it P.A.C.E. I found a blogger who explained it better than I could.
Though love the video you found for explanation and technique!
Here’s the blogger’s words (couldn’t find his name):
PACE stands for “progressively accelerating cardiopulmonary exertion” and it gradually challenges your heart, lungs, and blood vessels to build their strength. It involves doing short bursts of exercise with a resting phase between each burst much as you would if you were predator or prey. “In the wild creatures must be able to accelerate to 100 percent capacity in a single heartbeat. Humans have lost this ability to accelerate somewhat recently.” That makes perfect sense to me as does the fact that if you constantly exercise at a certain level your heart adjusts to that level and it is no longer increasing the capacity of your heart, lungs and blood vessels.
Found an interesting exercise site (informative articles) and videos

See what you think

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
This is from The Daniel Plan (health plan which is gaining lots of popularity) …it’s an example of burst training discussed above too…

The Daniel Plan burst training example

Printable Logs

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content