login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★How many Kiwi's are on Bmindful?

I am very interested in visiting New Zealand. How many of you guys are on here? I would like to find out more about New Zealand, and am very open to the idea of possibly leaving the U.S. and living down there for a while. Is it hard to get a work visa?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hey that’s a wonderful idea! I’m not a Kiwi (but my Dad is), but I can promise you it’s the most beautiful country in the world! I visited there once and spent some glorious times walking in the mountains. When my plane flew back to Australia, it was very early and I saw the first morning sun hitting the snow capped Southern Alps and the colours were remarkable. I can’t offer any advise just wanted to bump it up the list!! JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

I really do want to go there. It is calling to me.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Do you know how to shear sheep, you’d get a job for sure (out come the cliques). http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi is focused’s post:
LOL

I live in Aus now, but I grew up in NZ. Definitely a beautiful country, so much to love about it, but a little backwards in some ways.

I visited again recently, it had been 11 (or 12?) years since I’d lived there. Getting off the plane was seriously like stepping through a time warp.

My NZ friends get all defensive when I say that, but it’s the truth! If Australia is a mini America, NZ is a mini Australia. You can get almost anything there that you can here in Aus, but it’s just smaller, slower or otherwise somehow a little ‘backwards’ :P

After saying that though, there really is some good about the place. The Maori culture is amazing and the language is incredible. It was sprinkled throughout our schooling, but I wish I had appreciated it a little more than I did back then.

I guess in part due to it’s smaller population, there’s some tight cliques that are very passionate about whatever it is they are into. One such clique is the coffee guys.

I’d met a few of them when I was exploring coffee (I used to sell coffee online, roast, was involved in some competitions – not competing though – and I was a barista for a while)

There’s also some cool little micro roasters over there and some fantastic baristas! You’ll get a shock when you order a long black though.

There’s some beautiful parts of the country and it’s so diverse.

There’s some decent surf beaches up north and there’s the biggest snow field field in the southern hemisphere a little further south. There’s sea-side holiday towns where you can swim with the dolphins, go big game fishing or just relax in the sun and there’s lush rain forests with some of the largest trees in the world (the Kauri tree) and that’s just in the North Island.

It seems that the people are friendlier than they are over here in Aus. Even in the big cities (Auckland) people seem more polite and courteous. That’s until they get in a car, it seems that most New Zealanders never took driving lessons!

By far my favorite part about NZ is the weather. I love the cooler weather, the sun isn’t anywhere near as hot as it is here in Aus and I don’t remember it ever being as humid.

I can’t say much else really, not having lived there for so long. I have no idea what it’s like to work there as I left before I was of working age.

So there you go, that is just my experience based on living there over ten years ago and spending a little time there since then. Other people might have had different experiences, this is just mine. I hope I didn’t offend any NZ bmindfulers with my generalizations :) I’m sure you guys can drive just fine :P

Anyway, I’ve got to get back to work! I hope my post was useful.

P.S – If it matters, I’ve spent the majority of my time in Aus in Sydney, and spent the majority of my time in NZ in Auckland.

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Thanks, I hope some more people will share on this topic. I wonder how much it would cost to ship my scooter over there. I could get a small tent and a backpacker guitar and I’d be good to go! I hope they don’t hate American’s.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hey Cookie~ I hope you get to NZ!! I am trying to book a trip to Sydney for this summer – just me & my hubby. My friends have been after me for a couple of years to go visit them and this site has finally encouraged me to “go for it”. (I can be a homebody.)

The friends I am going to visit want my husband and I to move there. I’m not sure what we’d do with our business, but I am not one to rule anything out of my life.

Ummmm… what is a Kiwi? (other than its my favorite fruit)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

A Kiwi is a New Zealander. If I had the opportunity I would definitely go for at least an extended stay. Australia would be my second choice after New Zealand.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Save your nickels & we’ll meet in Sydney :)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

I get very excited when I hear about people’s travel plans! I have some friends who have had great sucess with home-swapping. They have swapped their beachside home for a few months in provincial France, & snowfields in Canada & USA on different occasions. Good idea for extended holidays, usually a car is included.
Anyone want to live in mine for a while, comes with grumpy husband, 2 kids, 2 guineau pigs & a worm farm? I’ll swap for a small Manhattan apartment.

So cute(:

I Am the
Allowing Complete Unadulterated Readiness

I am a kiwi! Make sure you make visiting Auckland, Massey a priority on your must see list of sites in New Zealand Madcookieman! Do come and visit me aye Madcookieman! I would love to have you over for a natter! That would be so cool!

If New Zealand is calling to you then you gotta come over here! I am confident your calling will come true for you.

I could if I would marry you too, to get you over here as quick as a wink.

You will love New Zealand, Queenstown is lovely to visit, my son and partner went there a couple of years ago. I havent done any travelling in the South Island. I have done travelling around only parts of North Island. Coramandel is a beautiful place for beach and sun, Rotorua is really amamzing, alot of history is there, heaps of attractions are there in Rotorua, you will be amazed at the mud pools, so much to take in in this place of New Zealand!

I do understand about the driving over here, we do have some that just dont know how to drive, from experience I have had 3 accidents in my car, twice been my fault and the 3rd been myself and the other person lol.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not sure on the process of visas, I can find out for you and get back to you as soon as I can.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you guys drive on the wrong side like the Pome’s? I wonder how much it would cost to ship my scooter over there. I’m thinking I could just take a bare minimum of stuff. I could pick up a pup tent when I’m over there and just start walking. Razor, bar of soap, you know, the essentials. I could stay a long time on very little money, and get back in shape by walking and taking public transport. Do they have “old man” hostels?

Have any of you ever read “Into The Wild”, they made it into a movie. I find that book and the movie “Castaway” very appealing for some reason. I could be very content out in the wilderness. A water purifier, a few good books, a few fully loaded mp3 players, a fishing pole…

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hey Jeff, what is your address, if you wish to send it private, I have a magazine here that I would like to post over to you, my Dad got it when he arrived back in New Zealand last week from his trip in Australia, its a colourful magazine that comes out monthly called Arrival – The Guide To New Zealand. All the destinations of New Zealand are in it and there is coupons with discounts that are always in with it also. I would be very happy to send it over for your enjoyment.

In response to themadcookieman’s post:

Tsk Tsk – Cookieman!! You’re letting your red white and blue show!! It’s not the “wrong” side of the road – it is the “other” side of the road!! :)

I think you are totally on the path of a cool experience, Jeff!!

man i’d love to go over to NZ for the trekking, plus it would be a dream to climb Mt Cook…

Hey Cookieman – Just remember it’s coming into winter – you’ll need thermal underwear too!! It’s a cold place (for an Aussie), but full of warm hearts. And you can probably buy a scooter – look on Ebay. The exchange rate is in your favour. Consumer goods are probably more expensive than USA. Look at us all getting involved in your exciting adventure!
se da luz: The South Island is unbelievably beautiful. I walked the Routeburn Track & Kepler Track. We drank out of mountain streams, everything was so clean, fresh & pure!

I’m not sure yet when I’m gonna’ head over. I’ve got to find a good air-fare. I know airfares are down right now. I would fly from Little Rock to LA most probably, then to NZ or Australia. I have to be pretty frugal. I’m gonna go float the Buffalo River in a little over a week, but that won’t be REAL expensive. I kinda wanna see the Grand Canyon too if I can before I go. I’ve only seen it from the air at 30000 feet, and I might not come back once I get over there.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jeff- This is the time of year to see the Grand Canyon, unless you like extreme heat. It isn’t too bad as long as you get there before the middle of June, then it gets blistering hot. As long as you are in Arizona, don’t forget to visit Sedona (Red Rock country). My friends just moved away, or I’d set you up for a free room for the night. :(

:-D Laughed my head off.

…what a wonderful world….

Hi Jeff, just surfing the net and came across Backpacker Hostels, Lodgers and Accommodation in North and South Island of New Zealand, thought it would be of some interest for you.

And here is another good one AATRAVEL on accommodation in New Zealand.

There are other websites also.

Hi Jeff, its me again, I think I found all the information you needed from me…..

I think it is quite a goodie, everything is there such as Accommodation, Visa Requirements, Transport, Domestic Air Travel, International Airports, Regions of New Zealand, Currancy, Getting Here, Driving Around, Driving Rules ( We drive on the left hand side of the road) and much much more useful information.

(I could learn a thing or two from the driving section lol, mind you all I did was bugger up my reversing, it is a sore spot of mine when it comes to driving, I have rammed into a car and rammed back into my front gate, I am a great driver really).

Hope you find the website useful too, Dee.

fourcorners.co.nz

The website is updated regularly I have noticed by the left hand corner. It is Monday 6th of April 2009 today, it was last updated on Friday 3rd April 2009, so that is a good thing.

Thank you for these wonderful links PE. I have scanned them, but haven’t found the visa info yet.

For those of you who have been, what is it like entering the country? Do you have to have a return ticket? Do they interrogate you about how long you are going to stay, because I don’t know how long I’m going to stay? I don’t want to say “I don’t have a visa, but I want to stay a while, maybe permanently”.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Oh, I forgot to ask, what is a “natter”? Oh, and I did find the info about visa’s.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content