login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Diamond or Rock

Recently my son and I had a long talk on how many people admire people who have what everyone thinks is successful. A great education, a great job, a great home. What if none of this makes any difference to one. What if you’re a person who wants to be happy without all the material wealth in this world?

People who think this way do not get respect from others who think in today’s way of life’s ideas of success. I raised him to be happy with the things he has and to be happy that one is alive and well. To help others who need your strength. To wake up and be happy that you have a car, a bed to sleep in, warm covers, your health and the health of those you love. Just my thoughts on this day.

I like your thinking. The media has a lot to do with what is viewed by “most people” as success and much of what is “pushed” or “fed” to people is a fantasy based in materialism and an external focus of worth. So many people are starving for meaning, but get distracted so easily by shiny objects. There are far too many sheep in the world and there are far too many shallow people who are more than happy to lead them around by the nose. One thing that wealth can help us get more of is freedom and independence, but it is a two edged sword. It also, if we aren’t careful, draws others to us – often the kind of people we DON’T want in our lives. It can be a HUGE drain being the center of attention for a lot of people. I think some people are energized by it, but I’d guess that is really the exception. A little goes a long way for most folks, at least that’s my guess. What must it be like to be a “Hannah Montanna”. We think about the material wealth, but not the pressures of such a person. How many people make a living by feeding off of the “fame” of a Justin Bieber? And what happens to many of these people when the spotlight fades and their only sense of self-worth is what they “used to be”. It’s not just celebrities either. Turn on the television and look ad the droves of people out there clamoring for their “free stuff”. There is no free lunch, but it sure seems easy to sell the idea of it, doesn’t it? I believe there are a fair portion of people out there who DO get it though. People to DO teach their children well and try to prepare them for the harsh and often shallow world we live in these days. These people are out there, they just aren’t on television. I’d even suggest that many of them are wealthy and do great things for others with their wealth. Often, the wealthiest people don’t live in the “fancy” neighborhoods and they don’t drive “fancy” cars and often those who do are under tremendous stress to maintain an illusion. I often laugh at what is on the television that is supposed to be “normal”. NOBODY, AND I MEAN NOBODY lives like they do on television and in the movies. Sometimes you see something that seems real, but most of it is complete bs. And isn’t it neat how so many movie stars are so clever and witty in their movies, but completely average or BELOW AVERAGE in intelligence when they don’t have a writer and director making them look brilliant. I think a lot of them drink the kool-aid and start thinking that, well, yes, “I AM just a little smarter and better than THEM”. A staggering number of them wind up at Obama fundraisers, lol. They care so much, lol. Anyway, those are just some thoughts.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

EXCELLENT SMR you are so right. I believe in people being happy doing what they like to do best. Whether anyone agrees with them or not as long as they do not hurt or be mean to anybody else. My son dated a woman who fell in love with him and he with her. She broke up with him because “love” was too expensive emotionally. She was after money and material things. My son is a professor and is an educated person. He is also very handsome and very kind hearted. She told him the fantasy was over which broke his heart.

She said she must be strong and make money and get the things she wants on her own. Marriage for her was a business deal then later you find someone to fall in love with. I told my son “Every form of refuge has its price” I guess she forgot that along with her wealth and fortune was a husband who needed something in return for his wealth. will a person love you so much to give up their lives for a lie?

There are no free lunches. This song says it all!

Lyin’ Eyes

Your post reminded me of this song Godschild
Coat Of Many Colours

Your son will be fine given time for his feelings to heal .You have raised him well and one day he will meet a lovely girl who loves him for himself .Here is something he might like
every thing happens for a reason

When we look into our hearts we find what success means to us .

For me success is bringing up my 3 children as a single parent and they are all polite,respectful,caring ,honest,well educated ,ready to help and grateful .

It is knowing I am following the right spiritual path for me ( Pagan) .I have healed old wounds and can now love the person I am .

I go to bed knowing I have helped where I can ,shown people I care ,provided a home for my family and being thankful for all I have .

As my health improves I’m affirming that I will be successful finding work soon that enables me to use my healing knowledge and energy .

Success for me isn’t owning things ,it is nurturing souls and that is priceless .
love flowergirl

I am a more than a romantic… in the area of relationships. I’m a strong believer in everything happening for a reason…and believe…with your son…having so many wonderful qualities ….the special woman he spends his life with will appreciate how awesome he is…for who he is.

Sometimes having an experience that tells us something so powerfully…assists us greatly for the next wonderful set of things that are about to happen. For example how do we know people are so special in our lives? Well lots of reasons(: Though isn’t one of the reasons…when people who do work well in our lives come along….don’t we do a quick scan…on the persons who lacked something we wanted to be around? So in a way…thank goodness for this person who couldn’t see your son with the qualities he has. She has prepared him to see who will accept, appreciate and complement his virtues. My best to your lovely son. You have inspired a thread for me…this morning…defining success ….and what I understand re:early role models. Great early role models such as you and how you inspire your son…Godschild/Godscreation(: much love, selfcare
ps….just saw flowergirls link…on everything happens for a reason…after writing this…yes…this is a like minded community(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to SelfcareEnthusiast’s post:
In response to abraham’s post:
In response to mara’s post:
In response to flowergirl’s post:

What beautiful people you all are thank you Flowergirl for those beautiful videos and you too selfcare for wishing my son the best. Mara and Abraham you too are loving and caring people thank you as well. It is right people come into your life for a reason. Blessing to all.

Godschild

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content