login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Motivational Types and Identifying Yours

Apparently there are motivational types. I am listening to an audiobook right now about this topic and will share what I find out. What I have heard so far says that a fair amount of research has been done into this. They have identified something like 84 distinct motivators, but they can be broken down into six types of motivators and each of us has a specific combination of motivators that work best for us. They refer to it as our motivational DNA. This sounds like very promising stuff and look forward to sharing more with you guys.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Motivational DNA is made up of Drives, Needs and Awards.
(D) The DRIVES for production and/or connection are the internal forces that mobilize a person to act.
(N) The NEEDS for stability or variety are the core requirements that a person must have in order to feel fulfilled.
(A) Internal and/or external AWARDS are the types if compensation or remuneration that a person desires for reward for achievement and encourage performance.

These six elements: production, connection, stability, variety, internal awards and external awards inspire everyone. Each of us to some degree need each of these elements, however, each of us has a definite preference for three of these motivators.

Three Question Test
—————————-
1. Do you tend to be more competitive or cooperative?
Competitive people have a production drive. They are inclined to be task oriented. Cooperative people have a connection drive. They tend to be people oriented.
2. Do you prefer constancy or change?
Constancy leans toward stability, order and routine. Change oriented people like more variety and are stimulated by change.
3. Which would make you feel more valued at work? Sincere appreciation without a financial bonus or a bonus without appreciation?
If you prefer the appreciation over the bonus you tend to have an internal award system. If you prefer the bonus you tend to have an external award system.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Motivational DNA Test PDF

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

So I’m a Connection / Stability / External Rewards. What’s the name of the book? It sounds fascinating.

The book is “Get Motivated” by Tamara Lowe. Looks like worthwhile info.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks. Barbara Sher wrote something about trying to find out your own motivational style in one of her books (I think it was Live the Life you Love). She doesn’t break it down though. She just says to figure out what works for you by thinking about what got you motivated in the past.

I like Barbara Sher. She has a book I would like to read called I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I like seeing her speak. She’s like a nice Mom or Grandma giving out good advice. And she’s very pragmatic, IMO.

In response to William.B’s post:
She has had quite a life ..It is great to see people turn it around like she has and give back

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Here are some words that are bouncing around in my head like crazy this morning.

Motivation, Toward Pleasure, Avoiding Pain, Habitual thinking, Can we change, both good, rut, rut, rut, snap out of it, need more info, motivational dna, different aspects of our lives, home, career, different dna for different aspects, using nlp and affirmation and visualization to change,

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I totally believe you can snap out of a rut..but you need to assess your reasons. And from there you can do amazing things.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I feel like I am learning something useful. You know that excited feeling you get sometimes when you feel like you are figuring out something new.

You sometimes read a book and get something out of it , something you understood in a passing nonchalant sort of way, ( yeah, yeah, I got it, lets move on ) but when you read it again something that was so obvious that you paid no attention to it suddenly grabs you by the brain and says, hey you, this is something you should have paid more attention to. Maybe your brain was searching for something else at the time but, BAMMMMMM! Day it is!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thing is, I got the concept, you know, moving toward pleasure or away from pain, been there done that. But, HEY, I am really thinking about this right now. Both are useful, and right now I am considering this stuff because I’m tying it in with motivation in a very real way. This is something very big that we ought to spend some time thinking about. Working the concepts into our lives in a more conscious way. And by conscious I mean consciously thinking about how to use this info and feeding it to our subconscious. I know, I am rambling…

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I believe most of have such a deeply ingrained habit of avoiding pain instead of moving toward pleasure that that very habit is completely off our radar screen. It is like the monkey in the basketball court. It is big and it is there and we just don’t see it, we don’t think about it cause we are too busy counting how many times they are passing the ball. (You know what I am referring to I hope.)

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Stop ignoring the monkey. Get to know that monkey, cause he is important. Actually, there are two monkeys. The big one that is there that we don’t see (the avoiding pain or problems monkey) and the wizened one lying on the floor and starving to death. Maybe we out to shake ourselves up a bit, call an ambulance and get an iv into that starving monkey. He could really do us some good.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Slap some water in your face if you have to to wake yourself up, but somehow motivate yourself to spend a little time working with this motivation stuff.

Let’s figure out our motivational dna for the different aspects of our lives. Let’s remember that both the avoiding pain monkey and moving toward pleasure monkey are both useful even if we can’t see them ‘cause we are habitually ignoring them. Let’s see if it might be useful to nurse our moving toward pleasure monkey back to health. (Or the other monkey if that is the case.) Let’s see if we can motivate ourselves to motivate our motivators if ya see what I mean. I say, I say, if ya see what I mean, son.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

The thing is, avoiding paid is EASY! Most of the stuff we are avoiding are big exaggerated nothings. And this is exactly what most of are doing all the time. We do it so much we don’t even THINK about it. It is a habit, habit, habit, habit, habit. Sure, avoiding pain and looking out for potential problems is useful, but that ain’t where the prize is at! The moving toward pleasure thing is where the prize be at. Once you get on that train, you don’t have time to keep looking for quick fixes ‘cause your busy DOING stuff.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
You’re absolutely right! Though..I am not talking quick fixes.

Before you have anything important..what do you believe you need? You know you have these answers..because you have posted great pictures about hierarchy of needs.

Many of those things we have complete control over.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I like your post. I was typing mine out at the same time.

(Do I sound crazy with the monkey metaphor? You know the thing I’m talking about don’t you, with the monkey?)

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I thought I was kind of brilliant with that one. But, then again, I’m usually the only guy in the room who thinks that.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

This is what I believe..

I am truly not ignoring you..but I believe in 1st things 1st.

What are the most important things in your own life? In most people’s lives?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I got ya on that quick fix. I know what you mean. The example questions are important for real exploration and planning. We need to work on that. We can’t fix that stuff with a quick fix, though we try and try and try to. We want the quick fix to help us over that hump. A quick fix to help us not have to do that stuff. The motivation thing is fundamental to getting us to do the very thing we are trying to avoid doing. We need to learn how to turn on our motivation for real and then set it on autopilot. We can use some of our other tools, like affirmations and so on to help us turn that autopilot on. First we got to fix that motivation switch. I know I am rambling again, but do ya get what I’m shootin for here, Tex?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

If you haven’t seen changes in your life due to aging..what I say is probably irrelevant.

I still feel like a kid in many ways..but fact remains..I’m not. And like your favorite quote: All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. — Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien …we must decide how we want it to be.
For me..I don’t have a lot of time..and one of my pleasurable things to do is to come to this site and speak to great people like yourself..But when I say time is up..I must include certain things to have what I have classified as my good life.

I need to eat well. .I do a regular conscious assessment. And when I don’t because I’m busy or just don’t feel like it..It catches up with me..I put on a few pounds..or don’t like how I feel..something..So for me ..the joy in my life comes from feeling great and being my healthiest..and I believe we can control much to do with how we feel most of the time. ..I enjoy..using knowledge of doing my best with all the info I’ve acquired from life experience and all the things I’ve learned formally/

Once my kind of health-routine is made to be #1 not just in my mind but all of my routines to be in sync with it.. is in place for my own standards..where I want it…I am more disciplined..I take more chances..I have more time..I know what to do next…But that has been my experience.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I got ya. What I am saying is that Motivation is a First Things First Thing. It is a great big obvious overlooked first thing. We need to REALLY, REALLY understand motivation and put it to work for us. (When I say us, I mean ME specifically, but many people generally.) I am seeing it as a big missing piece in my puzzle. It is so obvious and so easy to overlook.

What are some of the big truths?
Well.
Life is hard.
We need to accept that.
Acceptance of reality is a biggie.
We are not our thoughts and so on.
We need to become aware of our ego and so on.
We need to figure out our values.
We need to figure out what we really want. (Lots of questions and planning and so on.)
We need motivation to spur us into action.

Then we have some tools we can use. I listed motivation up there in the truths up there, but really maybe motivation is a tool. A great big giant tool that is broken for most of us. Or maybe covered in cobwebs or rusting in the corner. If we fix this tool and use it properly it can go a long way to fixing the whole car and getting it to purr like a kitten.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I am not denying your thoughts. I am simply saying some times we learn what we need while we are doing what we need to do..And then we go back to the books and realize we can write one of our own.

For example..take a look at this day in your life. Make a short 3-item list of things you know would better your life right now..that you have not made a routine.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m just thinking out loud here in this thread. I really do get what you are saying, and I agree with you absolutely. All the stuff that got me to my current thinking this moment was necessary. Here is the track my mind is on at the moment.

(Incidentally, one thing I have noticed is that there isn’t as much stuff out there on motivation as I thought there would be.)

Anyway, the track I am on at the moment goes something like this.
I have all these great tools at my disposal and all of these truths.
I know that I can achieve pretty much anything I put my mind to. Any of us can. So, why are so many of us struggling. I mean, we have the tools. We know what to do. They aren’t secrets. Well, here is where motivation comes in. I know. I know. It is obvious. But maybe it is so obvious that we hardly ever talk about it. It is so obvious that we don’t really examine it. Why aren’t we using all of our tools? Motivation is why. Can we fix our motivation? Well, maybe we can. We have lots of tools at our disposal that we fail to use, well fail to use like we COULD. Journaling, Affirmation and on and on, so why don’t we? It is because we aren’t motivated to use them. If we WERE we would be using them all the time. We ALWAYS do what we are motivated to do. We ALWAYS are moving to pleasure or avoiding pain. Well, if we can fix the motivation thing we can motivate ourselves to use our tools. I mean REALLY motivate ourselves to use them. I know this is obvious and I probably sound like a babbling idiot, but I really want to get these thoughts out.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I never said doing what you have to do when you have to do is easy. I am just saying we know what we need to do..and we need to make it easier. Remember stages of change. Remember what is first for making your life a good one..values will not be forgotten..but (In my opinion) by doing what we know is vital for our well being we will be ready for all opportunities and have the ability to follow through with pleasure…

Don’t wait until you are sick to be healthy, Though illness is quite the motivator..It is harder to do things when you feel lousy..but you will definitely be motivated.

I see health/fitness as the primary thing for helping someone be their best.
Look at some of your favorite motivators..what did they say on the subject?
Did they learn some of their greatest lessons from how they felt, their appearance, their true health ..and lessons on motivation and discipline from self care..I know I did.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I was writing as you were..I think struggling is a luxury. If you don’t have money..you know you have to work. If you know you don’t feel well..you know you have to take care of you. If you’re home is in disarray..you know you have to clean it up.

The next step is some don’t do anything with these areas until they feel enough pain..true..So..write out your intentions…keep it simple..
Sometimes pain can be from past experience..use it if you need it as a consequence to drive yourself if pleasure of the outcome doesn’t help.

This is why I have those PPPA affirmations all over the site..they work(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

What if we were naturally predisposed to ATTACK our comfort zone? What if moving toward our goals were a habit rather than the exception? What if we could program ourselves to “go for it” naturally instead of having to MAKE ourselves go for it? Can we do this? If we can, MAKING ourselves develop this habit of ‘GO FOR IT’ thinking would be one of the absolute best things we could learn how to do. What if is easy to stay motivated all the time, we just haven’t figured out how to do that yet? What if “motivated to achieve your goals” was your natural state? Do I sound like a madman?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

So..write out your intentions…keep it simple..
Sometimes pain can be from past experience..use it if you need it as a consequence to drive yourself if pleasure of the outcome doesn’t help.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Have a great day! Talk to you soon!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I stay motivated..because I remember what happens when I just let life happen. I am not a young one anymore where I can expect my provisions to be handed to me. I want to do things I need to do..and have them be pleasurable. That is under my control..with acceptance, gratitude, prayer, intentions, self care, self love..etc etc..

tools are many..make a list of first things first…in terms of urgency and priority.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I follow.

I have churned up some other thoughts as well, but that is for a different thread!!!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I want to hear your churning..

I want to give you an example of my motivation for the day..

I know I need to exercise today..but I made a decision to do that tomorrow (because I will be off)..

By knowing what I need to do will be done..I can have pleasurable banter with you..while I’m cooking ..and will soon affirm..my day at work.

No reason to make myself nuts..Just plan around getting it done..in a time that is conducive with what I want and need. If I see I am forming a pattern…and the exercise never happens when I say it will…I will then have to reassess my plan..and not deviate..hence more firm affirmations..and other power-tools(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I want to be able to turn the things I need to do into the things I want to do. And when I say “want to do”, I really mean it. I mean something I get excited about. Getting so excited about it that you would have a hard time convincing me NOT to do it. I know you know what I mean.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

• Get away from other people’s rulers.
  • What unmet need of yours keeps coming back to haunt you ..so to speak..
  • What do you want more of? What do you desire less of? Where are you with the stages of change in getting there?
  • Write out your true intent..

How about this?

Today I allow info about what I truly need to confront my spirit, and I say yes to my new beginnings and the opportunities that will meet my needs of well rounded growth. I love myself and today more than ever it is crystal clear/evident.Thank you in advance Creator. Amen.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I like it. And I made up one and posted it on your thread just for practice. I want to put some gusto back into my affirmations.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

What if?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

It is definitely so..
Blue mirror is quick and uses a great many tools.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I should have included journaling in my picture. Just imagine if you were using all of these tools every single day to create the life you wanted.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Reading your original post made me want to read the book.
It makes sense.
So I checked this book out from my local library.
I admit, I’m hooked. If what she is saying is right I think this has really great applications. I’m on page 63 of “Get Motivated.” I’ll let you know what I think. Thanks for pointing me to this madcookie. :)

So I’m reading the book “Get Motivated” and I like the first few chapters. But the thing is, she seems to dedicate a lot of the rest of the book to managing other motivational types. Early on she says she doesn’t want to pigeonhole anyone, but then she says she’s a production / variable / internal type and that this type makes good managers and here’s how to manage all the other types. Does that seem a little arrogant to you? Because she’s starting to lose me. The funny thing is, I think she was onto something in the early chapters of the book. Maybe she should have collaborated with another author. Well, just because it isn’t my thing doesn’t mean others won’t find it useful. It has inspired me to think about what motivates me and I might use some of the information in the early part of the book.

You are farther along in the book than me, so I can’t comment. My main interest is in motivating myself.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Well, keep reading. I didn’t mean to discourage. I do think there is something to her theory of motivational DNA. I am also primarily interested in self-motivation.

NLP Motivation Exercise

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Wonderful older thread by Smart Routines!

My definition of greatness

is to be greater than your environment,

to be greater than your body,

and to be greater than time.

And if you do, you will be great.

I mean, that’s it!” – Dr. Joe Dispenza

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content