login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Share Your Thoughts on Patterns

I am very curious about this topic and sincerely want some input from you guys. Are there any simple, easy and practical way that we can uncover very specific thought patterns that are holding us back? Can we do this by ourselves or do we need a therapist to help us with this? Do you know of any excellent books on this subject?

At Trans4Mind I did a search for “patterns” and it churned up this list of links

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I believe the number one thing that holds me back is my beliefs about eating and exercising. There must be some deep-seeded belief, or better yet, MIS-belief that keeps me from eating in a way that is good for me. I tend to eat way too much junk food. Now is it just a bad habit, or is there something more to it? Is it just a matter of convenience that I automatically grab the junk food? Am I kidding myself? Am I somehow eating junk for comfort or something? I know I can change my eating and exercising habit once and for all, but want some input.

What need am I meeting by eating junk?
Why do I automatically reach for the chips or ice cream when I am simply bored? I believe I can answer a lot of these questions for myself, but I would really like to have an open discussion of this stuff.

Also, I would like some input on Jung’s archetypes and how this stuff, which I know very little about, might be factoring in here.

Also, please comment on our human needs. I know that Anthony Robbins lists six human needs:

1. Certainty/Comfort. We all want comfort. And much of this comfort comes from certainty. Of course there is no ABSOLUTE certainty, but we want certainty the car will start, the water will flow from the tap when we turn it on and the currency we use will hold its value.

2. Variety. At the same time we want certainty, we also crave variety. Paradoxically, there needs to be enough UNcertainty to provide spice and adventure in our lives.

3. Significance. Deep down, we all want to be important. We want our life to have meaning and significance. I can imagine no worse a death than to think my life didn’t matter.

4. Connection/Love. It would be hard to argue against the need for love. We want to feel part of a community. We want to be cared for and cared about.

5. Growth. There could be some people who say they don’t want to grow, but I think they’re simply fearful of doing so—or perhaps NOT doing so. To become better, to improve our skills, to stretch and excel may be more evident in some than others, but it’s there.

6. Contribution. The desire to contribute something of value—to help others, to make the world a better place than we found it is in all of us.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

love this thread cookieman and would stay longer but been on youtube way too long listening to all the good rock songs .( like a kid now i have sound )

i think its fear of change that keeps us eating the junk

I know when i eat the healthy food which i love salad,fruit,veg,nuts,seeds,brown rice ,yoghurt ,honey – i will feel great instead i eat junk – chocolate,cookies,chips,processed rubbish,things my body tells me its intolerant too by its reactions

If we carry on we stay in our “ comfort zone “ thats a silly expression isnt it if ever there was one .

I’m at a stage in my life where im quietly preparing for some big changes and healthy eating is one of the first steps i need to take ,the rest wont follow without it .They are changes i long for so deeply but its like an alcoholic wishing for sobriety – i will start tomorow .

Is this coincidence – a book i ordered has just arrived in the post – Ordering From The Cosmic Kitchen by Patricia Crane – A guide to powerful nourishing affirmations .
love flowergirl

I love Louise Hay books for changing and healing, also Wayne Dyer .

Can you pinpoint a time in your life when you began or became aware of eating junk food .I got into the habit of eating biscuits/cookies last thing at night and very early morning when i seperated from husband when i was 28,it was a way of keeping depression tears inside .This habit has come and gone but took hold 13 years ago when i became single again – i eat in bed .

In theory its filling a need for someone to share my troubles,provide comfort ,always be there for me – the reality is the opposite – its affecting my health ,its pushing down feelings that need to be released to heal and it filling the bed with crumbs !

So many times i think this time could be my sacred time as i wake about 4-5a m and go to bed about 10 pm .I could read,journal,meditate,learn yoga,listen to relaxing music,neditations,light candles,burn incense,write poems ,soak in the bath ,sit in garden,do crafts .

Im starting and ending my days with a sugar hit ,this will never provide the connection my spirit longs for .
Sorry for waffling ,love flowergirl

Thanks FG.

I just found this about archtypes. I think that there is supposed to be a lot of evidence supporting this stuff, but right now I am completely lost. Is this stuff related to the “shadow” self? Is it a bunch of mumbo-jumbo? Any of you guys read any stuff by Jung or Campbell? I think Campbell might go into similar stuff.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Found this on About.com
———————————-
Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung believed that archetypes are models of people, behaviors or personalities. Jung suggested that the psyche was composed of three components: the ego, the personal unconscious and the collective unconscious. According to Jung, the ego represents the conscious mind while the personal unconscious contains memories, including those that have been suppressed. The collective unconscious is a unique component in that Jung believed that this part of the psyche served as a form of psychological inheritance. It contains all of the knowledge and experiences we share as a species.
The Origins of Archetypes

Where do these archetypes come from then? The collective unconscious, Jung believed, was where these archetypes exist. Jung suggested that these models are innate, universal and hereditary. Archetypes are unlearned and act to organize how we experience certain things.

Jung identified four major archetypes, but also believed that there was no limit to the number of archetypes that may exist.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

THE FIVE STAGES OF CHANGE

James Prochaska and Carlo Diclemente (1982) developed a model of change. The authors contend that it is quite normal for people to require several trips through the five stages to make lasting change. So in this sense relapse is viewed as a normal part of the change process, as opposed to a complete failure.

PRECONTEMPLATION STAGE. We enter the stages of change from a state of precontemplation— during which the idea of change is not seriously considered.
CONTEMPLATIVE STAGE Secondly we contemplate the need for change; but take no active steps. see Miller and Rollnick (1991)
DETERMINATION STAGE Thirdly we determine to take action. eg we buy walking shoes, join a gym or discover a local swimming pool, but we take no action.
ACTION STAGE Then action is initiated. We walk regularly; go to that gym, have eggs instead of muesli for breakfast ……
MAINTENANCE STAGE Finally the action is maintained for several weeks. But most having maintained the change, whether in diet, smoking habit, exercise or whatever, will sooner or later fail and revert to the first or second stage. Then comes the verdict that is most helpful; namely TO FAIL IS NORMAL!!! Next comes the best advice I have found; we should not engage in self recrimination but instead DISCOVER WHY WE FAILED

REFERENCES
DiClemenet, C.C., & Prochaska, J.O. (1982). Self change and therapy change of smoking behavior: A comparison of processes of change in cessation and maintenance. Addictive Behavior. &: 133-142.

Miller, W.R., & Rollnick, S. (1991). Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People to Change Addictive Behavior. New York: Guilford Publications.

Prochaska, J.O. & DiClemente, C.C. (1982) Transtheoretical therapy: Toward a more integrative model of change. Pscychotherapy: theory, research and practice, 19: 276-288.

(my opinion is..you’ll figure it out where you go wrong..and do better each time We know so much about what we are doing..and when we veered off in a direction that wasn’t in our best interest. Write..exercise..pray, write out your intentions, talk to others that may have something down that you seem to struggle with..but in my view..don’t immediately chalk it up to some culprit. You are victorious! Clear the area around that exercise thing you bought..make the grocery list..take a field trip to a health fruit.veg place..learn the art of seasoning your food, and satiation tips….you can do this…we can all be not just a happy group but a healthy self-caring group..Go For it My Friends)

L.)

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Power of Focus

Tiny Changes

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content