login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★"You" or "I" in affirmations

I’m fairly new and I just composed a few affirmations. The first few I composed used “You” as in, “You are a responsible, worthy person.” And then I composed a few that used “I” as in, “I am a conduit for positive change.” I’m not sure what the preference is, but my thought is that switching between “you” and “I” may not be so bad. In our minds we might refer to ourselves as “you” or “I” depending on how we think. I’m curious about what others prefer or which they think is most effective. Thoughts?

I prefer using “I am” … those words seem to instill lots of power within me…

I can see the advantages of either. In the article about affirmations, it says “I” is more personal. For recorded affirmations, I see how “you” would be effective. I’m not sure, but I think one who is into beliefs about having a higher self might process “You” as an affirmation from the soul or higher self. When you read a message directed to “you” it is personal. But “I” distinguishes your own voice. A person might get a lot of negative messages during the day from people addressing them as “you.”

depends on my mood...

I enjoy and prosper from I Am affirmations.

I prosper from all kinds of affirmations(:

and 

affirmative prayer too

• ~

I did a lot of vibrational 'work' today 

{work=from my heart/soul place enjoying/choosing/allowing/creating  what matters for me}

and 'being very true' to my soul/heart/values with my activities today...afterward

{ex. meaningful conversations and valued tasks easily-because of this}

and 

I am now liking 

this You-affirmation at the momentlaughing

028836b1d5395175876df6d7ddc1ebca--beautiful-soul-spiritual-inspiration.jpg

In regard to audios, looking back... a friend on this site created an outstanding affirmation audio for me-with YOU affirmations

My -Your Affirmations

You affirmations are a different type of powerful for me...I will allow some time to see when they work best for me. This is a wonderful thought provoking discussion thread.thanks for it!

AWESOME!!!!

Image result for tranquil affirmationsImage result for tranquil affirmations

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

often I am  inspired by BrightAngel's You-affirmations/self talk.

I created these this morning:

• You want to remember no matter how you feel -you are only 1 thought a way from bringing the clarity, momentum, joy  and inspired action you love to the surface & it will  always resonates with the desires of your soul.
  • You feel pleased with your focus today, and very glad the things which are inspiring to you are allowing awesome  energy for manifesting.
  •  

and capsule version:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’d like to chime in, and mention that I switched from “I” affirmations a few years ago, and now use almost exclusively “you” affirmations.  There are many advantages to the latter!  

First, I think that “you” affirmations are like being your own coach — you decide that you are going to be the force that talks sense to yourself and reminds you what is important to you.  A good coach says, “You’ve been in this situation before, and it never killed you, and it probably won’t kill you this time either.” And the part of yourself who may be blowing things out of proportion can say, “Yeah, that’s kinda true, come to think of it!”

Second, I found that “I” affirmations can get really phony-baloney (aka, wishful thinking), whereas “you” affirmations work better in passing the bullsh*t test. 

“I am learning to spend my money wisely” — is nice enough, but i feel your consciousness can not absorb something that is not at least partially true.  Or, “I like to remember that spending money in helpful ways, is who I really like to be in life” — OK, that one is probably more readily absorbed!

Affirmations with “you” are more easy to obey. “You really like who you are when your spending is consistent with buildinig wealth”.  (Brain goes, “Yes. Yes, I do.”)

”You are a good person who simply has some behaviors you’d like to modify.”  (Brain goes, “Yes. Yes, I am.”)

I don’t know if that’s very explanatory, but I feel that affirmations are coaching statements toward a future you — even the “you” that is going to receive them later this afternoon.  And the “I” statements get reserved for your brain to say, “Yes! I GET that!” in response.  

In other words, the “you” statements are suggestions, and the “I” responses, are genuine, unrehearsed, and involuntary.  

Coach BrightAngel says, “You have a lot of wealth available to you, in the spending choices of everyday life.” And Brain says, “Oh, how interesting!  Maybe I DO!  How nice if I can grab that wealth and put it in a big pile, simply by being cognizant of my choices!’

I think this is how deep change takes place!  :)

In response to BrightAngel's post:

(: 

wonderful thoughts!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Ha!  SelfCare, I’m so glad someone understood that post — my thoughts are kinda out there at times!

As to different ways of constructing affirmations (using the term quite loosely here!), there are a couple more that I find fascinating;

One construction is, “What if...”  For example, what if itt were true that a few simple changes in your behaviors could make a meaningful change in your body size?  What if you knew that simply by remembering to drinking a few more glasses of water today, and a few more glasses tomorrow, that you could reduce urges for junk foods, to levels that are easily tolerated? 

Strangely, I think that this construction, and a few others, are ways of bypassing the brain’s tendency to criticize and reject.  I mean, that kind of construction is not forcing anything down your throat (as in the affirmation, “You are much skinnier than everybody around you, and you are happy with your substantial weight loss”) but simply floating an idea, and the gatekeeper of the brain is more likely to give it a pass.

Another interesting construction is, “How does it feel to picture yourself drinking a few glasses of water, this very hour, and recognizing how hydrated you are, and how small your old cravings have now become?”

And yet another construction is to simply use the gerund, like some hypotists do. “Feeling very relaxed.” — “Noticing that you have all your caloric needs met right now.” — “Noticing how pleasant it feels to have only infrequent cravings for junk food these days” — “And feeling pleased that the magnitude on your cravings for junk food has also subsided because of how much more water you are drinking each day”.  

Wow. I could go on for days!  I guess what I’m saying is, I think there are so many rich and wonderful techniques to be used that it seems a shame if anyone is stuck in only using clunky affirmations like “I am now slender.” Or “The weight is dropping away like magic.”  Those are fine for starters, but I feel as though a lot of variety and repetition is good, if one is to truly reprogram the brain. :)

In response to BrightAngel's post:

I too love creative affirming self talk...:)

{Love the examples -often used in hypnosis too!}

Love this one... that you created!

You can easily picture that you have become the type of person who feels pleasure in getting to DO your joys and your passions. Your gifts shine through best when you develop your technique, and that is exactly what you're doing.

I look forward to more of your wonderful examples... possibly a thread with more of yours... and inspiring more from us??? hint hint(:

I'm ready!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

See the source image

You were born with potential. You were born with goodness and trust. You were born with ideals and dreams. You turn them into what you want - today.

See the source image

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgg8pPBMPilnKrG3yvyc4p-GdYzv5LSogUp7lY64AqzRxXug8N

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

ef49f8082d67a34578bc8d48dc09fbd3.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

• You're appreciating more what you already have.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content