login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Make Room For Enough

What will you spend time decluttering today?

thread from 2009 -will organize eventually(:

4cbc1a312dff755269e2d157c9e0a26a.jpg

82333032321acfaee6d94db7ec96fcd0.jpg68806c6b7eb477929b6d0ff5798712ce.jpgc942cef3dec6f5d3bad840066b3fb628.jpg

08e6cdb04d78097a9108c6634148ee6a.jpg

“If we let go of what we’re trying to get more of, which we really don’t need, it frees up reserves of vitality to make a difference with what we have. When you make a difference with what you have, it expands. This applies to love, to time, to relationships — and, of course, to money. If you sit down and make a difference with the money that you have, you will find that your experience of it expands, and you don’t have that focus on scrambling to get more of what you don’t really need — which is what most of us are so busy doing that we don’t even notice who we are and what we have. By contrast, the context of sufficiency is making a difference with who you are, what you have, and knowing that it’s whole, complete, and exactly enough. It’s perfection.” Lynne Twist

Make Room for Enough

Ever notice how striving for more can leave you bloated or overextended, depressed, and wondering, “Is this all there is?”

Perhaps this is an occupational hazard of a deep commitment to learning and growth. There is so much to know, so much to experience, so much to accomplish, that we can foster a gnawing hunger that belies the fact that our minds and stomachs are full. If constant striving is not the answer, what is?

I suspect the answer has to do with devoting at least as much time and energy to developing our capacity as we do to accruing material goods, information, or accomplishments. In other words, we need to make room for enough. For noticing when we have enough. For noticing when we are truly hungry or truly curious. For noticing that we are enough, just the way we are.

We make room for enough when we sit in the dentist’s office simply noticing the present moment instead of diving into a magazine.

We make room when we walk to the post office even if it takes longer than driving.

We make room when recycle the stack of magazines we don’t have time to read. We make more room when we cancel a subscription or two or transfer them to the library.

We make room when we meditate—even for just ten minutes and even when we’re bad at it.

We make room when we listen as carefully for offers of assistance as we do for requests for our attention or time.

We make room when clean off our desks.

We make room when we wash windows so that we can enjoy the light streaming in.

We make room when we visit an old friend in a nursing home.

We make room when we pray.

We make room when we get up early-not to work out but to watch the sunrise.

We make room when we prepare a meal and then sit down to eat it with someone we care about.

We make room when we turn off the radio or television.

We make room when we sing in the shower.

We make room when we pay as much attention to what we can give as to what we can get.

We make room when we pretend that we are enough , just the way we are.

You are enough. How will you experience your enough-ness this week?

Copyright © Shaboom, Inc.™ 2002. All rights reserved.U.S. Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-311X.You may reprint or copy or distribute The New Leaf ™ provided this copyright notice and a link mollygordon.com is included.

a0b7ce357c6989d1ec564a4f53ee8647.jpg

——-

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

my head Laurie ,its full of stuff blocking new thoughts /ideas

fixed broken link in 2016(:

Declutter your mind
It’s the fastest way to combat that feeling of constant distraction.That nagging feeling that you’ve forgotten something – or someone.Declutter and you’ll find focus again.My mind starts working in too many directions.
Think: pinball machine, with way too many pin-balls flying around.And what happens when we don’t focus on just one of those pinballs?We drop the other balls. The others drop through the gate.We lose. We get stressed.
Stress and clutter are tightly linked for me and many people I organize and coach with. Is it like this for you? I start forgetting things. I say things which aren’t quite what I mean – not as articulate as I like to be.
I don’t listen as well; I’m not as present.I don’t get as much done – in my personal or my business life, cuz it’s all just too darn cluttered up in my head.

10 Ways to Declutter Your Mind

• Pick something, ANYTHING and finish it.Don’t waste time deciding if it’s the “right” thing to finish. The point is to start making those pinballs go away, one by one.
  • Write down whatever is in your head. On whatever is available. Don’t go looking for the perfect list or notepad or your phone. Grab whatever is nearby and just get it out of your head. Later, sit with your temporary list.
  • Think about and process each item on the list. Decide what deserves space on your regular task/to do/next actions list. Consolidate.
  • Walk away from your desk. Go do something. Get some energy out of your body. I go out to the deck and take a few deep breaths. I walk away from work and I see things differently.
  • Use your phone, tape recorder, Dragon software or anything that will hold your voice. Record everything in your head. The specific tool does not matter. What does matter is that if you’re highly verbal, talking out loud to declutter your brain will be more effective for you.
  • Create something if you’re artistic. This could be something beautiful made of fabric or it could be a visual mind map. Take a break to clear your head and process while you take the creativity break. Or draw the mindmap if that will help get stuff out of your head. The non linear, creative and kinesthetic all tied into one.
  • Take a walk and literally, go smell the flowers. Let the aroma fill your senses and clear your head. Get perspective and then see if you still need to write down what’s in your head. You may just have needed perspective or a break.
  • Call up your accountability partner, your friend,…
  • Talking it through out loud, with some good and powerful questions, will release the clutter and you’ll start solving whatever that problem is you’re wrestling with.
  • What do you need to let go of? And how have you let go of other things; would that work in this situation?
  • How else can you occupy your mind – fidget to focus is apt here – if you listen to music or a book while you work, would that clear the clutter and allow some focus?

Some options until then :

• Use a calendar and a to do list.
  • Appointments versus stuff to do.
  • Keep a projects list.
  • To trap your creative ideas you don’t want to forget, buy or repurpose something beautiful. Something unusual.
  • Take time in the a.m., mid day and definitely end of the day to empty your head.
  • Begin to notice how much you can handle in a day, what your limits are, and what causes the cluttered mind feeling ?
  • Notice how certain people affect your feeling of a cluttered mind or whether it’s certain types of projects.
  • Is it a certain time of day – then clear the clutter as you begin that part of the day.
  • Sometimes, it’s the feelings around the stuff, not the stuff itself.
  • Learn to notice how you’re feeling and recognize what the real, root cause is.
  • Go play with your dog. Call your child/grandchild/nephew. Step into work or out of work, depending on where your head is at.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

wow thank you ,i havent even begun to think how ,i just know after the horrible mental state i was in over hurtfull comments i need to do a spring clean in my head ,theres a lot of old stuff in there thats only hurting the present and stopping the future .I love the zen habits website .Possibly journaling would be a good start .

On Purpose You have a habit of operating from a series of unconsciously set,conflicting goals (and thus having very cluttered lives); you necessarily want and need a better approach. One simple way to attain this is to decide what kind of person to be (and thus what sort of day to have) before the day actually decides this for us. You can decide before sleeping what your waking purpose will be – you can picture the kinds of things you want to happen every day, before they actually happen HUGH PRATHER

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

October 30, 2012 A Living Dwelling Creating a Beautiful Home
by Madisyn Taylor

Our conscious, loving intentions can literally transform the spaces in which we live, dispelling any lingering unharmonious energy.

The homes we occupy are seldom ideal. A space that satisfies our basic needs may nonetheless leave us wanting where location, décor, or style are concerned. Yet every home has the potential to be beautiful. When we fill our homes with love, we transcend worldly factors such as market value and design. Our conscious, loving intentions can literally transform the spaces in which we live, dispelling any lingering unharmonious energy and replacing it with an ethereal beauty that is felt rather than seen. Our homes become spiritual dwellings that feel soulful and alive. Regardless of their outward appearances, they radiate love, making all who enter, including ourselves, feel instantly welcome.

Turning a space into the beautiful outward expression of your inner warmth is as easy as projecting love into it. When your intentions are sincere, you can infuse the walls of your home with your energy, your emotional sensitivity, and your generosity of spirit, turning it into a haven of affection, joy, laughter, and togetherness. It is up to you, whether you want your personal spaces to be peaceful and quiet or lively and inspiring. Begin by cultivating awareness within yourself. This will allow you to see your home as an integral part of your existence rather than somewhere you simply return to at the end of each day. Consider how you relate to each element of your space, and remind yourself that every room in your home can serve a purpose in your life and the lives of your loved ones. Finally, lovingly thank each room for providing for your needs. As you become more mindful of the manner in which your home contributes to your well-being, you will discover that, more and ! more, you want to love and be loved by it.

Appearance and other superficial qualities can be deceiving. An aesthetically beautiful home can prove unwelcoming. And a home that seems mundane in every characteristic can be as comforting and cozy as a beloved relative or friend. When you nurture and care for your home as if it were a loved one, it will absorb your tender intentions and project a love so touching you will soon come to feel a great affection for it”

copied from Daily om

My idea of “home” is a place that gives you a hug when you walk in and that is the feeling I want to achieve here .Instead of wishing we could move and not liking this house ,I realise maybe once I clear the piles of stuff and make it into the cosy/boho nest I crave the house might feel more like a hug – after all a hug is a 2 way thing .

I just de-cluttered my whole flat and I literally feel like a new person.. next step de-clutter my life!

Thank you x

I have just realised something so obvious that I had been oblivious to.

“once I get clear in my mind what I consider clutter ,I will be able to declutter “

for so long I have had people telling me to get rid of this and that and had become so stuck in sorting out our home because I was trying to please everyone .The result was I did very little and mentally beat myself up for the things I have .

A few friends have told me to throw away my books !!!! and get a kindle

concrete the back garden and get rid of bushes,plants etc

get rid of wool,embroidery threads,pictures cut out for collage,pens,paints,stickers,notebooks,ribbons,buttons

Get rid of Cd’s and put music on an iPhone ( I’m happy with my simple mobile and ipod – no wish to own an iPhone .

My eldest son thinks I have too much stuff – he likes nearly minimalist .
Thinks I have too many pictures,home sweet home things,candles,incense.His way of helping which in all fairness he does try .

Writing this I realise how deeply these comments have affected me to the point where I felt I was being selfish keeping my things and also got rather overwhelmed at the thought of sorting out the house .I was starting to feel I had to give away my books etc .It was feeling as though everything about me was wrong .

After a meditation this morning it was like a huge dark cloud just blew away .I haven’t felt “at home “ here or in myself because I’m not being true to myself.

Books are like friends ,especially preloved books from a charity shop as the previous owner is sharing with me now.Books give us so much knowledge ,I don’t want to sit in front of a screen to learn ,sitting down with a book and handwriting notes makes a connection to what I’m learning about .I can share my books with everyone .

If I concrete the garden there will be no weeping willow tree to sit by ,tie ribbons on as prayers,there would be no lavender plants spreading each year filling the garden with their scent .Our buddleia would not be there attracting butterflies .We have many pets buried there amongst flowers,pebbles ,gnomes,fairies,cherubs,wind chimes and there is space for any pets who go over the rainbow bridge in the future.That feel of the morning dew on the grass creates such a grounded feeling and from the kitchen window I can watch the seasons change and step out the back door and I have a little patch of mother earth to care for.

My hobbies are knitting ,crochet blankets,throws and cushions,making scrapbooks ,journals. There is such a peaceful almost zen feeling when sat by the fire with a basket of wool ,a crochet hook and a cup of tea – watching that yarn making squares in lovely colours is so calming .

My Cd’s are like a memory collection of gifts ,friends and family ,special days out where I bought them ,like books I can share these too and enjoy listening to them with others – unless you have one headphone each you cant share music from iPhone etc .Have you noticed on buses and trains so many folks with headphones in and they don’t chat to anyone .I love chatting away to anyone while travelling ,it can be so easy to become isolated.

My friends don’t have hobbies ,even those like me who are not working at the moment so they don’t have treasures like I do .I wouldn’t tell them to fill their homes with books,wool,craft stuff crochet cushions,candles because that is not how they want their homes to be ,so from now on I’m going to create an authentic home that honours this hippie,boho spirit of mine .

My kids all have their own rooms and are free to do what they want with their space and Harley Duck and Raggydoll both love the hippie stuff too .

I want to shout this from the rooftops as I feel I have found the key to the way forwards .

love flowergirl

I don,t know if this helps.After reading your thoughts I thought of a quote “To be self actualized,you have to become independent of the good opinion of others“blessings to you

Once you get to know Twain, you’ll never be the same.

This is a FANTASTIC thread, is it not? Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! All the world is a stage! Now is the winter of our discontent. To be or not to be. Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace…

I’m in a silly mood, but this really is a wonderful thread, Selfcare. I’ve been decluttering lately and have made a lot of progress. I’ve organized virtually every book in my house and am working through lots of old papers now. Really good videos folks.

Isn’t it amazing how much energy is you free up for yourself when you declutter. It’s like getting a fresh start on your life. To me it’s like “wow, think of the possibilities”.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to ezdoesit’s post:
ezdoesit I love that quote nd it is so true,thank you for sharing and your blessings
,love flowergirl

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:
Love your silly mood cookieman .It is a great thread isn’t it , I just hope I don’t make it as long as War and Peace with my ramblings .

I’m reading a fantastic book at the moment and it explains how clutter can be physical stuff and also negative energy that can drag us down – no wonder we feel good when we clear

love flowergirl

In response to LOAsecret Wow! Your whole place! Impressive!

In response to flowergirl’s post:
Please share some things to inspire us from the book. It sounds like a great read(:
In response to flowergirl
You motivate me with the whole person experience you make decluttering(:

In response to Smart Routines Yaay you!I’m sure you’re quite proud of you….fantastic job!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I agree. Flowers like to smell Flowergirl! She’s that nice!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

thank you so much for your kind words ,I am really touched

love flowergirl

“as I unclutter my life, I free myself to answer the callings of my soul.”

Today I am tackling my bedroom which has piles of boxes full of stuff all over the place so I decided to bring this thread back up .

I haven’t read it again because then I will start chatting here and will not get much done so I will be back later .

)

old thread-want to reread(:

enjoy the inspiration I'm finding everywhere!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content