login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★How did you get to be where you are?

I was just reading through aftab’s profile and saw under “location” Switzerland. Well that reminded me of my time in Switzerland back in 1986 and how that trip with The United States Collegiate Winds band, at age 16, is really the reason I am now living in Minnesota!
The United States Collegiate Winds Band was an orchestra comprised of students from all over the US and Canada. I was invited to participate, playing trumpet, during the summer between my Junior and senior years. For a 16 year old boy from Indianapolis, this was the chance of a lifetime!
We played concerts in France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and England, but the most memorable stop on the tour was Zermatt Switzerland! The people were super nice and very engaging, the landscape was breathtaking and everything was meticulously maintained – no liter anywhere, nothing was out of place.
Well, I was only 16, but I knew then that when I grew up, whatever I was going to do for a living, there would be travel opportunities involved! About a year after I graduated from high school, I found myself working for NorthWest Airlines in Indianapolis, where I worked my way up from part time baggage handler in Indy, to lead aircraft mechanic in Minneapolis. My 17 year career ended with the strike of 2005, but my time with the airline provided me with ample travel opportunities including a Caribbean Cruise, trips to Mexico, Australia, and all over the US.
How did you get to be where you are?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I don’t know what it’s like over there now, but I was impressed with how clean some of the cities were over there too. Vienna stood out as a super clean city, and the mass-transit system was beautiful. No graffiti anywhere and it was basically an honor system; nobody checked to see if you had tickets, you just got on – the subway didn’t have those little ticket taking thingies, I can’t remember how it worked, but it was just understood that you would pay. Seems like it was like that for busses too, I can’t remember how it worked, but nobody asked you to pay when you got on the bus. There was usually more than one door on the bus. People who got on the bus from the back door went up and gave the driver the ticket, but nobody checked. Most people just paid like good citizens, but lots of younger people didn’t and no one seemed to care. It really struck me.

Italy was a very different story with regard to cleanliness though. I recall in Florence how dirty the streets were, and there was lots of areas that smelled of rotting garbage. I’m sure a lot of it is simple logistics though. Lots of cobblestone streets lined with long rows of buildings on both sides. A busy active city with no place to put the trash. I can see why it would be hard to keep things clean in such cramped streets. I also remember dog poop everywhere. You had to really watch your step. I’m not dissing Florence though. Nobody knows food like the Italians as far as I’m concerned. And Gilato, OH MY GOD! Real gilato, man!!! Not to mention the Uffizi gallery and the Campagnille and the statue of David and statues by Donatello and……..

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
The fines are very high though, so if you get caught, they will ask you for the fine, ofcoarse in a very respectful and friendly manner. Which I think maybe is the reason that it works.

I absolutely love Italy. Food, absolutely. Cloths, shoes, even more definitly (yes I’m a woman). The weather, AH! Dolce vita.
And the people in northern Italy are sooooo good looking.

…what a wonderful world….

Almost as good looking as genies!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

You are a sweetheart

…what a wonderful world….

In response to briankw’s post:
In my original posting, I meant to really say where I am now – in life, but I got a bit off track and only mentioned that I am living in Minnesota now. I did ramble extensively, reminiscing about my teen-age introduction to world-travels.
Now, living in Minnesota with my lovely wife and daughter – a family that I would not have, had it not been for being introduced to traveling and taking such a liking to it on that trip to Europe in 1986.
Where are you now?

Madcookieman; thanks for saying that you “thoroughly enjoyed reading” my post! I tend to ramble sometimes in print (probably not only in print, although it is more obvious to me when I read what I’ve written), but am glad when I hear that someone has enjoyed it.

Thanks for the feedback on your european experiences. I also remember Italy being dirty. but I loved all of the experiences that I had on that trip.

I’m sure that my parents worried quite a bit while I was away – this was a time before cell phones, IMs, twitter, etc. Long Distance was quite expensive and I was home before my mail. The trip lasted about three weeks

I hope this thread inspires others to recollect fond memories as well.

What a great thread this is. Looking forward to returning!3384b32ee6d02bea773f1176fa61b79f.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”

How did you get to be where you are?

Allowing.

By not living in the past or overly involved in the future.

Future perspective is important… to decide how to proceed in the present.

Self care is always part of the equation. When taking care of oneself is out of fear rather than love for self, life and others… it destroys rather than creates. I am sure there are exceptions … though short lived. Love yourself, and begin each day as though you are worth the energy to take care of yourself. Go slowly, pace yourself … begin and continue.

My definition of greatness

is to be greater than your environment,

to be greater than your body,

and to be greater than time.

And if you do, you will be great.

I mean, that’s it!” – Dr. Joe Dispenza

I would have to quote a line from a Jimmy Buffet song ."How we got here I haven't a clue"

I thought the thread title was asking how did you get where your at spiritually or otherwise in life.

In either case I may have found my "lost shaker of salt"  lol as it were.

To be more truthful, I am gonna say thinking with the heart, and taking my brain along just in case.

In response to ♡ ˚Hope, Belief, Faith's post:

I wrote that at a very precarious place/ and it is still amazingly true today.

In response to The enterprise's post:

nice!

a0b0eca3b6c18b7213447fbaa0549015.jpgA sense of humor is helpful even though it can be dormant at times.

In response to Limited Edition's post:

very funny & quite wise about having a sense of humor …😃

Since you mentioned humor. 

I suppose practicing the concept of not judging and usually made it a point to not do what the majority was doing. And being an observer. And adopted an understanding that learning is a lifelong process, in fact I feel I entered the University of life after high school.

In response to Dancing moon's post:
( :

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

How did I get where I am - 

one day at a time … 

allowing

creating 

surrendering 

praying 

doing

doing better 

doing different 

saying different 

practicing what I preach

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Well it all started many years ago, when for reasons not exactly clear, a soul chose to go for a ride in this vehicle, which was a fetus then.

How did I get from where I am to here?

I was idealistic &  looked thru rose tinted glasses & saw the world as good .

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to ˚so 😎 much cool's post:

I saw the world as good - and it became good, better & best . Amen

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I persevered from my spirit place 

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

How did I get to where I AN

With lots of love & selfcare 

& handling life w/ prayer 

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content