login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Memory Improvement

Hello
I’m new to this forum and was wondering if anyone here has personal past experience in dealing with memory improvement.
I know that there are several supplements on the market. I try to be conscious of diet & fitness. I’m not looking for the next cure in a pill. I take fish oil and some vitamins.
I play Sudoku and try writing down what I need to remember. Often it’s things like noticing what was where (tools and supplies) and being more observant.
I’m 40 and in a new career (construction pipefitter) really struggling to notice, observe and remember the details of my new work, training, etc.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Brian

In response to briankw’s post:

Welcome to bMindful, Brian. What a great question you ask. In my humble opinion, it looks like you are on the right path. I also take Fish Oil pills, but I’d recommend to only purchase pharmaceutical grade. Make sure it contains at least 600 mgs of EPA & DHA – that’s what I’ve been told, but I’m not an expert.

When you are doing your affirmations, focus on the positive – such as a strong memory. Do not focus on “not forgetting”. The way the brain works is that for some reason, it disregards the word “NOT” and focuses on forgetting…not what you want to happen.

Good luck – and welcome.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Hey Brian,

I used to always comment on my terribly memory. I was particularly bad with names. Now, I’m actually pretty good with it all and don’t remember the last time I forgot someones name (LOL! And I’m pretty sure that’s because it was a long time ago now and not because my memory has gotten worse lol!)

Nothing really changed, not my diet or sleeping pattern, I just started being more present and paying more attention.

The change happened because I realized that I could remember the most obscure fact related to whatever my current and previous interests were, I could remember the complex syntax of numerous programming languages and the subtleties of the numerous books I’m always reading at once, but for some reason I just couldn’t remember peoples names and seemed to be otherwise very forgetful.

I read a few books that suggested I visualized the house I grew up in or some other large and complex space that I knew well. Then when I needed to remember something, put the information in a particular space within that house, and then when I needed to remember it simply visualize the house and go to the same place to get the information.

This worked fairly well, but it was SLOW and to this day I’m convinced that the exercise and many that were similar are more about practicing recall rather than a practical way of remembering things. It might have worked with random facts that I could ‘meditate’ on like this, but it was no good ‘on the fly’.

So I forged my own way and started practicing memorizing small things. Shopping lists were my favorite. I used some of the tips I’d learned in the books, like categorizing and having a bit of an overview to check your results – in this case the number of items.

Now, inspired by a friend who can quote people left right and center, I’m trying to remember quotes from books, although this is proving to be a little more complex probably due to the amount I read and the variety of sources any particular quote could come from. I’m getting there though :)

Back to my initial problem, the peoples names. So after I’d proven to myself that my memory wasn’t completely shot, I decided that I’d never forget another name again. This was MUCH easier than I first thought. The problem it seemed, was that I just wasn’t paying attention most of the time :)

Being in the moment helps, if you’re preoccupied with some unimportant thought (and I, like most people, tend to exaggerated the importance of whatever is on my mind!) then you’re unlikely to remember something you were just told. Be present, be more observant and then do what you can to repeat the information to yourself.

So now, when I’m introduced to somebody, I look at them and say “hi [insert name here]” then I repeat to myself their name in my head a few times, preferably whilst looking at them (this sounds weirder than it actually is!) Then I do what I can to use their name in context very early on. “So how long have you been with that company, John?” People love hearing there own name too so that’s an added bonus :)

This works with everything I’ve applied it to. New words for your vocabulary for instance. I still write things down when I get the chance, but that’s usually only needed in a totally new situation, for example I meet a new group of people and want to not only remember their names but a little more about the dynamics of the group.

So that’s my experience. I guess the takeaway things are to be in the moment, be as observant as you can, place some importance on the things you’re attempting to remember and repeat it to yourself a few times. If you’re remembering a lot of information, you can categorize things in your mind or give yourself some indicators and whatever you do, don’t give your brain an excuse or way out by telling yourself you’ve got a terrible memory!

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Memory Improvement

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

a very good thread!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

This looks like a good idea you could apply to lots of things, not just memorizing songs.

How to Memorize a Song

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

How to use a kanban board for your next project

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:
can’t wait to check this kanban board out!Looks very useful! Thanks for posting!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:
Are you using this? If so will you share your 1st hand experience… how it assists with projects. Thanks

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I just stumbled across the info today, but, it looked really useful so I wanted to share it.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I gave it a look last night… I can’t tell if it serves individuals just as well as groups. Thanks, I’m always appreciative to hearing of sites that let you visually see what is in process, completed etc… It seems it does that, please feel free to post sites to check out others that do this. [or anything else you love]

It’s a wonderful motivator… (and enjoyable) when I see an easy visual. I’ve learned of Trello, cozi… Todoist and have likeed those.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content