login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

β˜…Is Everyday Earth Day For You?

What does Earth Day mean to you? Has it really hit you to do what you can? Has the environment been something you’ve progressively taken ‘green-action” with? What small or large things do you currently take part in, in re:to going green?

Let’s motivate one another with ideas and incentive.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Well, I drive a scooter almost all the time. I rarely use the car anymore. I put a little basket on the back. You would be surprised at how many groceries you can fit on a scooter with a basket. You see, you can store stuff in the seat too.

As long as we’re talking about earth day, I can’t help but be troubled a bit by extreme environmentalists. I care about the planet, but I don’t understand some so called environmentalists. I think of California. A few years ago the environmentalists blocked off shore drilling. Now the offshore drilling would have created lots of jobs for California. There economy is in terrible shape, and other states and children who aren’t even born yet are going to have to pay for that. But, how much good came from them blocking the drilling? None. Actually, the environment will be in worse shape. Why? Because the drilling is still taking place, but now it’s off the Mexican shore instead. So, instead of California creating jobs and producing energy and money for their economy, the drilling is being overseen by the Mexican government. Who do you think would do a better job of regulating and monitoring what is going on, the US or Mexico?
Who is getting the benefit to their economy, the US or Mexico?

Okay, I know that’s a little off topic, but Lee said it was okay to discuss this type of thing here.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hi madcookieman I live in California and there are a number of reasons are country is in trouble. For one people are used to “instant gratification” they want everything now. In the housing market what I have seen here is people buying houses they couldn’t afford insted of saving for a better deal in the future. We now have houses made of particle board that are going for 600,000 and people were buying them like crazy. Most of them are now going through foreclosure they really couldn’t afford them. We are inundated with homeless men, women and children. Teach your children and yourselves to live beneath your means.

Please see the movie “The Fuel Film” and many of your questions about environmentalists will give you the answers you need. For me I’ve grown my own organic garden. It has it’s challenges but it is teaching me how to survive. I will not buy anything that has been Genetically Modified, most cartons or packaging will say “Non GMO”. Those seeds will die after a certain time and we are ingesting them?

We do not need to drill offshore for oil. It is used mainly to keep our cars going. We can do the same with vegetable oil. It’s clean and doesn’t cause any problems to the ozone. The oil companies are fighting this but there are a few people changing over to oil already, however there is a permit you must buy first and you are charged here 2,000 for the conversion.

It’s still worth it because it causes a great chain reaction. You can go to your nearby restaurant and ask for the oil. It doesn’t cost the restaurant anything and you are recycling and you don’t have to buy expensive gas and saving the ozone at the same time.

Also if big corporations would quit handing our jobs over to other countries, because they can get such cheap labor and, don’t have to pay health insurance for them the jobs would stay in the U.S. There are so many reasons for the problems were in.

We are also losing our bees and scientist do no know why. There not sure if it’s because of our cell phones or microwaves. They are dying at an alarming rate. It affects our future greatly. We can still make a great change if we change the way we think and do things.

Blessings,
Mary

Everyday is Earth day for me.
Vegan, no car, no microwave, all the lights are off in the house right now, no fan or heater (although that might have to change soon, jumpers, slippers and blankets are pushing it!!)
it’s not hard to make little changes, more so if you own our home and don’t rent.

In response to godscreation’s post:
“instant gratification” is so true. although it’s not that California shunned the drilling, the problem is that the rest of the coorporations didn’t hear the Peak Oil bells ringing and actually went to Mexico to drill anyway. Wake up people!

Love this thread, I would like to do more for environement, and this is inspiring.
The little I do are:

Do not own a microwave (wasn’t aware of environmental disadvantage :-))
produce as little garbage as possible and recycle as much possible (compost, glas, paper, cans).
Always take my shopping bag with me, when shopping.
Buy tissues and toillette papers which are from recycled and non bleached material.
Wash cloths only in full load with almost cold water, 30C.
Very few lights at home and light bulbs will be replaced by energy saving owns soon.
Unplug the laptop whenever not in use.

…what a wonderful world….

In response to godscreation’s post:
I used to think the same re: offshoring jobs for cheaper labor. I have now changed my mind about that. In my field, offshoring started about 7-8 years ago. It has produced new jobs for us though.
Programs I used to write myself before are now being done by offshore, I now have new things to do which were not necessary before, coordination and stay the linking party between the different parties.

Some companies have brought back their production on shore again (I know of few in Germany) since the quality of the products were not the same, and the consumers were demanding higher quality.

…what a wonderful world….

In response to Melt86 and Aftab. You are so right. Now I am trying to build a solar cooker outside to save on gas. A family who owns a urban homestead right in the city mind you! Uses a blender attached to a stationary bike to make smoothies and exercise at the same time, they use solar panels for heat and they have their own generator for electricty and a vegetable powered car. You can see them on youtube. It’s hard work and isn’t “instant gratification” but is very very rewarding. No waiting in lines, no car that uses gas to go to the market and most of all it’s fresh and organic just like it was in the beginning! They all look in good health too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEvHVXoNZCE

Happiness and health always,
Mary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content