login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

How to Survive a H1N1 Flu Pandemic

This sounds like good advice.

How to Survive a H1N1 Flu Pandemic
A H1N1 flu pandemic is a serious threat to individuals, families and communities around the globe. In an outbreak, as much as 50% of a given population is expected to contract the virus. Of those who contract the H1N1 flu, some will experience serious and life-threatening symptoms.

There are many steps you can take before and during a H1N1 flu pandemic to stay healthy and keep your family well.
1. Step 1
Practice impeccable personal hygiene and share the importance of this with your family members. Learn — and teach all household members — thorough hand washing. Make it a habit to wash hands frequently during the day, before and after eating, using the bathroom, using a public phone or computer, or shopping. Hand washing is key to avoiding illness in a H1N1 flu pandemic.
2. Step 2
Carry hand sanitizer in the car, your purse, and in the backpacks of all students in the family. Use hand sanitizer when you lack facilities to wash hands with soap and water, especially when grocery shopping or getting back into your car before touching the steering wheel.
3. Step 3
Avoid touching your face, especially nose and mouth, and make it a habit to use tissues when you feel the urge to rub your eyes or nose. Teach children that the virus can enter their body through eyes, nose or mouth and protecting these entrances is one of their best defenses against a H1N1 flu pandemic.
4. Step 4
Stop eating sugar and simple carbohydrates, both of which suppress your immune system. Taking sugary foods, candy and sweets out of your diet greatly increases your body’s ability to defend against sickness.
5. Step 5
Improve your body’s ability to fight off flu viruses by improving your overall nutrition and health. Eat whole foods, as well as vitamin C, garlic and echinacea supplements, to help boost your immune system.
6. Step 6
Make chicken broth from chicken bones and leftover meat, allowing the broth to simmer for several hours or even a day to increase nutritional value. Drink chicken broth regularly and at the first sign of illness, adding garlic to boost its effectiveness.
7. Step 7
Stock up on flu masks, coconut water or sports drinks for hydration, as well as Vitamin C, Echinacea and garlic, before a H1N1 flu pandemic begins. Avoid the rush and the possibility of empty shelves by preparing in advance.
8. Step 8
Pay attention to local news about the flu. If a H1N1 pandemic hits your community, consider pulling children out of school and activities to avoid infection. Make plans for their care and education (home tutoring for a month?) in advance.
9. Step 9
Stay home as much as possible, out of the community, if a H1N1 outbreak occurs. Having a home food storage that can sustain your family for several weeks or longer is key. If you must work or go out, consider wearing gloves and a flu mask and disposing of the mask before entering your vehicle or home.

Something I came across, mostly quoted:
Some H1 N1 Facts you need to know:

1. The H1N1 flu is being transmitted by humans to pigs

2. Eating and preparing or handling of pork meat foods cannot transmit H1N1.

3. The flu is mild, highly infectious and spreading quickly over the globe. More young people than older get H1N1.
4. Even though it is mild, it has major complications for those who are young: 0 to 25 yrs old, pregnant, have preexisting diseases.
5. There is only a 0.5% death rate, with 60% of those deaths due to poor immune systems, preexisting organ diseases or conditions: asthma, COPD, CHF, CVD, obesity and pregnancy.
6. It mentions the “shot” I’m not comfortable w/that

7. USA is not equipped, nor ready for many citizens to be infected at one time. US hospitals are preparing for the worse case scenario, and have plans to set aside elective surgeries if need be.

8. Preparation and education is the KEY.
http://www.govinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1788&pg=3
http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20090920/NEWS27/909200392/1027/news10/County

+kicks+off+clean+hands+campaign+to+fight+H1N1

“A. The campaign talks about washing hands for 15-20 seconds – it tells people
to time it by singing a couple of choruses of “Happy Birthday” – with emphasis
on getting between fingers and around cuticles.”
B. “There are also tips on proper sneezing and coughing etiquette (sneeze into
the crook of your elbow, for instance) and other hygiene issues the county will
stress”

C. Hand-washing vital. Stay home from school or work to avoid infecting others.

“ “It sounds so basic and obvious,” Davis said. “It’s something we were all taught when we were young, but it’s something we all fall into a pattern of maybe forgetting as we get older. “

Hope this helps to dispel some H1N1 myths and get you ready to avoid and survive the flu season 2009.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie- worksout-daily&w/everything she’s got~ ~‘s post:

These are good common sense rules. I’m not getting that shot the side affects are not good!!! It may also help to take more vitamin c than normally. Thank you very much Laurie excellent info.

Here is new information from a doctor who will not give this vaccination to his chidren. The reasons why. For me I will pass this on to everyone I know.

H1N1

Good health for all,
Mary

In response to godscreation’s post:
Thanks so much for sharing that informative video!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content