login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Follow Your Heart?

I’ve just found this on the Tricycle Blog:

Often we hear the adage “Follow your heart.” But having practiced and looked at all the things that have arisen in my heart, I’ve seen that while some things were fine and beautiful, many were not so noble. The heart is not only driven by love, kindness, and compassion; it is also driven by desire, greed, and anger. We need to train the heart, not simply follow it.

-–Joseph Goldstein, from A Heart Full of Peace (Wisdom Publications)

What are your thoughts on this?

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

In response to Lee Nutter’s post:
If you are not “balancing yourself” in life, there isn’t a part of you that is capable to be set apart from yourself to lead.

If you aren’t nourishing your brain, you wouldn’t want to lead with it. If you aren’t balancing what makes you “whole”, your heart cannot be your compass.

Examples that come to mind, many persons have equated their heart with giving and being selfless; if you don’t adequately care for yourself your motives for caring for someone else can be all about your own needs and not that of someone elses.

We need to make sure we’ve tended to our own spiritual, intellectual, physical and emotional needs before allowing what we believe is a heart that is ‘knowing’ to be our compass and leader for who and what we are passionate about.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Lee Nutter’s post:
This is so very true, LN. ‘Follow your Heart’ seems to be apt for the very enlightened ones. If a person who has just got up from/or is still at the deep slumber of greed and materialism tries this out then there will be chaos.‘Follow your heart’ has to be a very calculative move. One has to follow the brain too. There are times when my heart says something but I know that if I follow it then it may harm someone in the long run.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

thread from 2009. seemed like a wonderful sharing thread for 2015

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content