login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Age Related Health Info- Aging Well

One of the areas that I’ve studied formally and informally is age related health. While we shouldn’t use age as an excuse for not having a good memory, for being heavier, or age related appearance-changes, it is my feeling, we should be aware of how we change to be able to seek the kind of control and natural-upgrades that is w/in our power. This will help us be our best at all times. By doing what we are capable of as we age, we will give ourselves the best scenario with time. We will be like a fine wine. (If you have a better metaphor please post lol)

Anyway, this thread is for anything about aging well.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m just a spring chicken really, so I can’t relate to being older than 35. But let me tell you, regular exercise has turned the clock back for me. Today I feel younger than I did 5 years ago. I think keeping active at any age is essential.

In my 20’s I was often exhausted & weak, underweight, back problems from sitting at a desk job. Today I have energy, I rarely visit the chiropractor (back problems only reappear when I stop exercising for a time), I never get sick.

Life gets very busy but I try to remember the benefits I get from exercise and make an effort to get to the gym, or go for a walk at the very least. Joining the gym was never about body image for me, it has always been about getting the energy levels a healthy woman my age should have, but hey, nothing wrong with my ‘buns of steel’ he he he. And I have been a bit slack of late so must get gym back into my daily routine.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi is focused’s post:
An article from Web MD that you might like is entitled Aging Ain’t What It Used To Be

Here’s a quote out of the begining of the article:
“Is 50 the new 30? Probably not, but 50 may be the new 40. “It’s hard to quantify. What we do know is that people are living longer and more vigorously. And they appear younger,” says Jesse Roth, MD, FACP, professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and geriatrician-in-chief of the North Shore University Hospital/Long Island Jewish Health System” It also mentions like you did ViVi, Looking Good Is Important, Feeling Good Is Better

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

If aging-theory interests you, you might like this piece

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Good quote about age: “Age is a matter of mind, if you don’t mind it doesn’t matter.” In todays society we worry too much about age and beauty so we cut into ourselves instead of being happy.

Who doesn’t remember visiting their grandma and the great smells of cookies or cakes or some delicious meal It made you feel warm and happy all over. I love this poem because it sounds like a child’s mind.

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

In response to godscreation’s post:
That’s a great poem. I am looking forward to being a crazy old lady with lots of cats one day.
I used to know a cheeky old man who’s saying was “you’re only as young as the woman you feel”

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

You guys are so funny(:
In response to Vivi is focused’s post:
In response to godscreation’s post: love poem!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I do think there is a lot of obsession with looks and age with many. It’s terrible for those who aspire to be something other than themselves.

I am big on keeping oneself healthy and by doing that it helps with appearance, which is a nice lil’ bonus(:

Though, I know you lke to do healthy things by that lovely organic garden you grow. You have no idea how much I’d love that(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

This is great. Especially: …and press alarm bells And run my stick along the public railings …
I will remember to do that. I love it.

…what a wonderful world….

Fun games to keep your brain sharp at AARP.com

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Quote from a tea box:

“When it is only through age that one gathers wisdom and experience, why this endless struggle to seem young? …Remember that beauty works from within, it cannot be put on and off like a garment, and it depends far more on the culture of the intellect, the tastes, sentiment, and affections of the soul than the color of the hair, eyes, or complexion. …Be kind, noble, generours, well-mannered, be true to yourselves and your friends, and the soft lines of these tender graces and noble virtues will reveal themselves in the face … we cannot be one thing and look another. …There are indelible marks in every face showing the real life within.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton

When I’m old my hair will be beautifully silver, and I will live in a beautiful place by the sea!

Focus

We lose 3 lbs of muscle mass per decade. It’s important to turn that around with something we can do about it! Exercise is an easy solution.

Bone-issues can turn around with exercise too. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s because they are aging that they are falling apart. We can do wonderful things for aging-issues, so they are not issues for us.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Godscreation’s post:
I love this poem godscreation – so much to look forwrds to !

My daughter describes me as a teenager with 30 years experience -56 .

I often think “when I grow up I will ….” but I think that is a long way off

As my body ages my mind listens to it and it tells me if it is happy or feeling in need of more tlc .I love the wisdom that comes along with the odd grey hair .It is never too late to take care of ourselves.

love flowergirl

I was enjoying reading all of these posts today!

In response to flowergirl's post:  loving this:

As my body ages my mind listens to it and it tells me if it is happy or feeling in need of more tlc .I love the wisdom that comes along with the odd grey hair .It is never too late to take care of ourselves.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content