login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Exercise- It's all Good!

This could be a great place to encourage exercise and discuss its benefits.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I go to belly blasters in the gym on thursday evenings two groups of us take it in turns to use a piece of equipment for 30 seconds before going on to the next this goes on for an hour with short breaks in between. A friend of mine thinks it sounds like punishment but actually its great fun! :)

enjoy life!

I go to a Physio for Graded Exercise Thereapy. It’s recommendable for those that are “Deconditioned” to do the excercises daily. I can’t even do the cat stretch, my back is so stiff.. If i haden’t gone to a Physio, i would have never known one of my hips is crooked, just like my dad. One of his legs is longer than the other..lol, weird..What is even stranger, is his dad’s was longer too, he was like 6 ft 4! They both hunted and had muscle spasms by the age of 20. Fortunatly, i have not, fewf!

My husband just enrolled us in an awesome gym. It has amenities that I haven’t been used to since we were simply YMCA members for the last eight years.

I have been going daily. My husband (who at 42 is 6’0 and 160 lbs and built mighty fine, if I do say so myself) has put me on a new regimen. He has taken on the role of personal trainer. So, for 20 minute each day, I am doing hard cardio that works up a very good sweat. For me, I choose the machines because it has a timer and programmed workouts and pretty “dummy proof” for me.

However, I absolutely LOVE Yoga. It is me. So, when I can afford the time, I will spend one hour doing Yoga on whatever days I steal the time. It calms and centers me. Not to mention, I’m all about the flexibility.

I’ve always been trained that you need to do weights every other day. I used to be much more faithful than I am these days. I will eventually work it in to my routine.

To be honest, the one thing that drives me to the gym each and every day is my reward at the end… The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna!! Ahhhh, with three children under the age of nine in my house, I relish the hour of peace and quiet AFTER the workout.

I am grateful for my gym!!! Laurie – It is NOT my frog!!! :) heheheh…

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Am not doing much structured exercise lately, other than walking about 10kms a day round the bush while in Tasmania.

Going back to Ballet this coming week, I even put my beautiful little ballet shoes on yesterday in preparation.

I like to jog, but I’ve only been back about 24 hours, give me time, it will happen again. It’s raining here today.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:

I used to do weights that way too, every other day. I don’t do weights right now, but am keen to get started again. My yoga friend got back from the USA this week so I’ll do yoga when she’s up and running.

Focus

In response to freygan’s post:
My routine use to consist of 4-5 times a week of cardio, and immediately after free weights and universal gym. One day, I’ll share more;but bottom line I just consider it all a must for me in re: to living well.

I love hearing others’ enthusiasm in this area.

I’ve tried a little tai chi; though, I’ve done very little yoga. Once I get my other routine really back on track,(I give myself about 3 mos. to have the benefits of the past of regular exercise); I would like to check out a bit of yoga.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Congratulations to the new gym membership and the daily exercise!

As I mentioned above, never got too into yoga; but really would like to add it the mix as soon as I get my current stuff going more.

You’ve motivated me further with your description of the benefits.

And, it isn’t a frog for me either(: as far as something I have to “make myself” do. It is just something that I want and need to make enough time for!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I used to have a great workout schedule before the birth of my fifth child – who was a TOTAL surprise and I had my tubes tied 2 years earlier. I would do Yoga for an hour three times a week. I did Pilates twice a week for 45 minutes. Six days a week I did about 30 – 45 minutes of cardio. I was in the best shape of my life. All the gym schedules just worked out with my life schedules and it was great.

NOW – I have really damaged myself physically by not exercising routinely for yikes – five years – and I have to start from scratch. When I do 25 minutes of hard cardio, my heart rate is way high at the end of the scale where it should be. I come out exhausted…Yuck… The “high” I used to get while exercising is not being achieved right now. The level of weights I used to lift has substantially dropped!! My flexibility is somewhere around nonexistent!! So, I am truly starting from scratch!! This has been very discouraging, but I am taking baby steps day by day. I know it will get easier and I have the motivation!!

You know, I am such a fan of flexibility. My dad is 85 years old (or so) and he is more flexible than most. I think that is what keeps him from having all the falling accidents that other friends his age have suffered over the last few years. My dad is a ROCK!!

So, lets get our loving movement going!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Sound like your adrenal gland needs rehab. .

I’m with ya, exercise- big-time, it is!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I love the variety of classes at my gym, so I get to do Body Pump (weights), various cardio workouts, pilates & best of all I love yoga. The best combo I love is Pump then yoga, but I don’t usually have that much time. Our yoga teacher is supposed to only go for 1 hr but always stetches it to 1 & 1/2 hrs and emphasises the spirital side not just physical. My chiropractor says yoga is the very best exercise to compliment the work she does, although thankfully when I exericise lots like I have been, my back is wonderful and I haven’t seen her for ages now.

Never did I think the gym would be something I would love, I was always an unsporty child!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

I wish I had time for regular gym workout or class.
I ride to work and back four days a week, which is 15 minutes each day, at a pretty good rate. I get very sweaty on the home trip. I have noticed a change in my cardio ability (??) since riding, but it’s so much part of my lifestyle now that I really don’t think of it much as exercise.
I have looked up a Kundalini Yoga class which is close to home. THey do a Saturday class which I might be able to make. Lee said he might come too. It’s always good to have a partner to motivate you :)

In response to Vivi is focused’s post:
I was unsporty as a child too Vivi! (I always got picked last for team games). However I do enjoy exercise now. Ive decided to get back on track with my gym workout, havent been for a while which is a shame as its free through work. Ive changed my hours at work so from today I am taking gym stuff and working out straight after work, just like a do with Belly Blasters (although im finnishing 1 hour earlier that day). Id also like to do more walking at the weekends

enjoy life!

In response to melt86’s post:

I LOVE Kundalini Yoga. The teacher I had went at it totally different than the Hawtha classes I took. He stressed breathing exercises (like the Breath of Fire), a lot of funky nostril breathing exercises during cold season, chanting during exercise, the gong… he was great! This was a more mental that physical yoga. I never came out feeling like I worked my body, but I was so flippin’ relaxed that I didn’t care! Sometimes my eyes would water uncontrollably like I was crying when we did certain exercises. He used to say that the exercises worked out mental/spiritual issues as well as the body.

My new gym has a Power Yoga class. I’m not sure what that is. I haven’t made it to the gym before the class filled up. It is extremely popular, but you have to arrive 45 minutes early. Is this a new modern style??

Since, I wrote last, the gym had just reopened where I live (since it had been destroyed from hurricane damage). It was my belief when it had opened I’d be there 4-5x a week. Well, I’ve been going, though I’m not yet where I want to be with my regular routine or my attendance. I’m going to workout now, and believe today is the beginning of my getting disciplined again in this area.

I would love for members to start contributing all of their ideas and current happenings in their world of exercise. I know we have a couple of members who are now working w/a trainer;do tell! Can’t wait.

Here I go, for my work out, and here’s to yours! (smiles)

Oh yeah, would love to hear some of your work-out music or audio you listen to during the burn(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’ve been a gym rat my whole life. It’s a chemical addiction — I HAVE to be sore or tired on at least one body part. I love to swim too, but I have to lift weights or I drop too much muscle weight.

The main thing, I think, is to get through it injury free so you can keep working out as long as you live. Don’t let someone — friend or trainer — goad you into doing too much weight or the wrong exercise for YOU. Only YOU know what your joints can take.

My favorite recent workout? One morning last week the weather was breezy and sunny so I skipped the gym and roller skated at a deserted outdoor hockey rink. I had the car stereo cranked. Bopped to the music for an hour. Ah, I was a kid again.

In response to AccidentalNote’s post:
Roller Skating sounds awesome! the last time I did that was as a kid. I remember ice skating recently though. it was so much fun! and a great workout of you want it to be

:)

I just took my kids ice skating (indoor rink) for an afternoon. What didn’t kill me was probably helping!! :) My prayers for no broken bones was answered.. hehehe…

I just signed up for a personal trainer for the next six weeks to jumpstart my program again. If he comes up with anything cool, I’ll write about it. Right now, I’ll be happy for extra energy & stamina!!

I just worked out before going to work! So happy for myself(: I never thought I’d add that to my already busy time. Though, if I find time to be on this site, I obviously have more time than I am willing to look at(: I like this site, and like exercise. I guess both are things to fit in where I want them.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I was at the gym for more than a couple of hrs. today, and made time for the pool/lake too. I love taking care of me(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m on my way to my 2nd personal training hour. Tuesday was awesome, but i still feel the aches in my muscles. However, if whatever hurts now gets firm & strong, I will be extremely happy!!

My kids have a cross-country race next week. Every few mornings we run the course together. The first time was like trying to launch a ship getting my daughter to keep it up, she was so determined to ‘not be able to do it’. Wow she’s stubborn. Jogging and trying to keep the kids motivated at the same time (dragging them up small hills etc) is a good work-out. Now what an improvement, with a heap of encouragement & practise she now can run the whole course and she feels confident.

Trying to find ways to combine things (family time & exercise) rather than keeping them in separate boxes. But will never give up my alone time at the gym, that’s really important for my health. I have heaps more energy now than I did 10 years ago and it’s all because of regular exercise.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi is focused’s post:

That is so awesome, Vivi. I am trying to emulate you!! :) No one gets my personal space at the gym, but am working on getting my kids more exercise with family time. My niece and her three kids joined the gym we go to, so now we take her three little kids and my three little kids and take over the swimming pool. :)

My husband is much better at this than me. He loads them up in the van and drives them to the lake and takes them on long hikes in the forest. I am not as comfortable going alone out into the wilderness by myself and three little kids…even with our german shepherd! I guess its swimming until my husband returns!! :)

No kids for me to take out, so I took myself to the swimming pool today and made use of my last days of membership. As of monday jogging season will start for me.

…what a wonderful world….

YAY meeeeeeeee…….. I went jogging last night, now all the leg muschles are tired but it feels good. Today I will just do some walking to collect energy for thursdays jog.

…what a wonderful world….

I have been working out for a number of years and have to admit I was starting to feel a little like a hamster running with no place to go. That is until I added Birkam Yoga to my routine, it took some playing with my schedule but now that I have it down it is a great addition. Here is a look at my week:

Monday Hot yoga 90 minutes
Tuesday Gym upper body lift and cardio 30 minutes
Wednesday Power yoga 90 minutes
Thursday Gym cardio 60 minutes
Friday Hot yoga 90 minutes
Saturday Gym legs lift A.M/ Hot yoga P.M
Sunday Gym cardio 60 minutes

Seems like a lot be I love it and it is not set in stone. Hot yoga makes me feel young, spiritual, opened, so many things it is wonderful and I am so grateful to have found it!

mai

In response to maidopo’s post:
That is awesome dedication! That’s great!!!!!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Just got back from the gym, and the lake and pool. It was absolutely perfect weather today! I had such trouble getting into the gym because the weather outside is the best we’ll see for awhile, because it will soon be very very hot! The weather was in the 70’s and low low humidity, and nice breeze. Do you believe it, people thought it was cold?

I see what I need to do w/my workout routine and how I need to document what I do, like I once did.

I no longer have my trainer-friend, so it’s up to me to push myself. Though I CAN DO IT(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Wht is Birkam Yoga? I used to love Kundalini, but lost my excellent teacher and left. We don’t have Hot Yoga at our studio either.

I am loving my personal trainer. He is really putting me through hoops, but I have a very hard time pushing myself like he does. He has more faith in me than I do myself at this point. (Ouch, bad affirmation to myself!)

In response to laurie’s post:

It is very hard to get to the gym on beautiful days, huh? I am forcing myself to take this 100% serious and go 6 days per week at the same time every day to make it a habit.

My reward is the steam room or jacuzzi – and quality time with my niece when I’m not in personal training. It is nice to have uninterrupted conversations with her for a solid hour. We seem to lose track that it is exercise and end up doing much more than we would alone.

Rewards are good. You’re furtherinspiring me(:

I never thought I would no longer be in the gym 4-5x a week. When the gym reopened, I thought I’d get right back where I was. Silly me! Though, the good news, is I’ve been using the advice I gave you, that you so wonderfully coined “putting the frog in the blender”. My mindset is getting back to the ol’ body builder-state, and I’m believin’ my body is going to follow(:

I appreciate you all so much!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Birkam yoga is just the “real” name of hot yoga, that is the name of the gentelman that invented it.

mai

You motivate me simply by you having a personal trainer! I am going to live through you for awhile, and remember what someone pushing me felt like. It was great!

and

So joyful for you!(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Just had a great work out, legs, abs, some cardio. Then I ate too much granola, but still a great workout…

:)

mai

Not about exercise, still about health though Mai, if you would, could you put your recipe for cole slaw on the weight maintenance- weight loss thread? It looked good, I just didn’t have time to watch the video for all of the ingredients and the things you specifically did (with the kale etc).

Thanks, Laurie (:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie’s post:
Absolutley! I will get it up tonight. I hope you had a very Happy Easter.

mai

In response to laurie- does first things first~‘s post:
Yay me! I have a workout partner. We’ll be going to the gym 3-4x a week at 8:00am Anymore than that I’m on my own. Partners are good if they have similar motivation and purpose! I’m excited!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

‘Awesome Laurie! I have had a busy 2 weeks back at the gym, its so great to back, many have missed me which is so nice, missed everyone, had a lot of catching up to do, felt it for 2 days at the start of week one, couldnt walk properly lol, sore calves and bottom, recovery day Wednesday and back into again. I am not able to do 6 days a week as before unfortunately, just doing 4 days at the moment. Mondays, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays. Wednesday are busy with womans group, that is a must to attend and weekends waiting for my son or ex to look after kids. All good thou, least I am getting back into, still losing I hoping lol.

I am doing my training by myself, I am unable to afford my instructor at the moment. The programme I am doing is one previous and concentrating on that for the next 6 weeks then moving onto the next programme for another 6 weeks, and so on. Things are working out perfectly. Its quite easy going through previous programmes, saving money and my body is still getting worked on in a balanced way. Later I will get with my instructor and get another new programme. Will be nice to do a new range of exercises. I am getting a buzz knowing I am able to do it by myself.

Been eating alot of sweets lately, which is a no no, find sugarfree chewing gum to help my cravings at night. Extra Tropical is very tasty indeed!

In a sharing mood today, sold items on trademe today, nice to know people got some bargins.

Hope things are well with everyone, you all not far from thoughts xxxoooxxx

Sending much love always
Dee :-)

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content