login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Socialization Skills :)

Hi All~ I am seeking help from my friends in this community because I believe in your creativity.

What do you do for a social life? Our family has a very busy, hectic life. When we want to spend “down time”, we don’t want to insert ourselves into a chaotic surrounding… such as a night club.

We are kind of bookworm nerds and spend some time at the local bookstores… for coffee and some browsing time. We appreciate the quiet atmosphere.

However, we are looking to expand out of our normal routine and (heaven forbid – haha) actually maybe meet other people outside of our circle.

We do go visit restaurants of the quiet variety – so we can talk… but what else is out there? What do you do for social enrichment? Ideas?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

The libraries have bookclubs where people can get together and share their views on books. Once you know certain people and feel comfortable with them you can then extend it to your home.

Even certain bookstores have authors who came and do some speaking engagements with them. Once again you can find some very nice people who share your interests.

On the other hand there are groups that get together for walks and some light family hiking. I joined one and afterwards we had coffee and converstation. It was fun and helped me feel less stress during the week.

Look into your community paper it may have some things that appeal to you.

Go to places where people will most likely have the same standards that your family would like to live by. Be open minded but watchful when it comes to talking about personal stuff. Join book clubs or go to places you would like to read about. Take cooking lessons, go to a farmers market, learn other peoples cultures, join a wine tasting club, litterature meetings, take a vineyard tour, visit farms, see what activities your community has to offer. Go to quiet spots like the park, library, museum ect..

You might consider a scaled down version of what my brother from Tulsa does. Twice a year he throws a “Shindigg”. He send out invitations. He and his wife put a lot of work into it. They load up the car with food, they get my other brother to rent “the complex” from his work and they have a get together.

You could have your own mini-shindig. The spring is rolling in fast and lots of parks have little pavilions with BBQ grills.

Most towns have a festival of some kind. They ALWAYS need volunteers. That would be a way to meet some new folks. Look at the chamber’s website for your town.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks, guys! This gives me some ideas to start with. We need to break out of our routine and get out there!! All work and no play can make MM a very dull girl! :)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content