login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★★What is and what's not thought suppression?

Recently I was reading A LOT about thought suppression just from curiosity, and now I have some serious missunderstandigs about WHAT IS and WHAT’S NOT thought suppression and made myself unnecessary problems. I partly blame the internet here for poor explanations and only basic and the same infofmations about particular topics.

So, my dilemmas are:

1. First, what is the real meaning of though suppression? Just avoiding a particular thought from entering counscesness or also stopping the thought who is already present in the mind and avoiding it after?

2. Next, is a suppression of thought when some thought pops into my mind and I say ‘this is stupid’ and than don’t think about the thought and continue with the day?

3. Is a suppression when I think about something for half an hour and still have no solution, than say to myself I don’t want to think about this anymore? How can this be a suppression from one side, but from another I’m actually avoiding and stopping a particular thought right?

4. What about when I have some thought about something that I already solved last week when I was thinking about that than, and now that thing somehow got into my mind and I say to myself, 'I already solved this last week, I'wont think about this anymore'. Is this thought suppression?

5. How the distractions are not thought suppression when you actually are avoiding the thought with this distraction process?

6. And finally, can I say to myself I don’t want to think about this and period without have to suppress something? I mean sometimes some thoughts are really not neccessary and stupid and counterproductive, but I cannot distract myself every single time, I hate that. I just want to face the thought and say you are a stupid though and I don’t want to think about you anymore.

I hope that someone can give me good answers here and maybe some ideas about real alternatives of thought suppression. Thank you!

Hello King Kong & welcome to Bmindful!!! I want to thank you for creating a wonderful discussion topic, and jumping in on your very first day here.

I'm sure you will get some wonderful responses on both of your new threads!!

{I'm looking forward to this myself!!}

Best to you, selfcare {aka AlwaysWonderfulPossibilities}

pink5.gif

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Many things could be said about (thoughts)

however I will do the "keep it simple thing and respond with this one thought

and suppress the rest for now.

I adhere to the cleshe that thoughts are transient or come and go like clouds.

Paradoxically or "on the other hand" I tend to "file"thoughts in my memory that I consider 

significant or not so transient.

Quotes are very usefull thoughts to muze over as they are 

travelling the the sky of mind like clouds,some more usefull than others.

Dwayne Vermette

c03f5792cac74b63bd5a48e50fcfb17d.jpg

Guilt is the consequence of the memory of regretted past actions as they are recalled. These can be transcended only by re-contextualization. Mistakes are the natural, impersonal consequence of learning and development and therefore unavoidable. 

As evolution progressed, the capacity of learning, called ‘intelligence’, arose as a consequence of trial and error, which is a process that is operationally required for survival. The process of trial and error then accumulates as data and memory. This accrues as the long and experiential time continuum that sorts events into ‘then’ and ‘now’. The present self ‘is’, and the former self ‘was’, and, in truth, that which ‘was’ is not identical with that which ‘is’. Regret and guilt result from equating the present self that ‘is’ with the former self that ‘was’ but actually is no more; they are not the same.

Guilt can be an educative emotion that arises as a warning not to repeat the same mistake. The past cannot be rewritten, but it can be re-contextualized so as to be a source of constructive learning. Regret over past events or decisions can be ameliorated by realizing that they ‘seemed like a good idea at the time’.

David R Hawkins 

There is a horse from California called Disguysthelimit a play on words the sky is the limit.
yadayadayada

There is a horse from California called Disguysthelimit a play on words the sky is the limit.
yadayadayada

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content