login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★★Are affirmations a form of suppression?

Hello to everyone! In case the title confuses someone, I want to say that I LOVE positive affirmations and I've been practicing them for 3 years already. The affirmations had an enormous impact on my life,I become the person I always wanted to be and even I am not perfect I am closer to everything I want in my life than I've ever been before. I actually love myself and enjoy in every single day being me.
Now, I have to say about myself than I am very good and honest person. So, at some point this is dangerous to me, this is one of that situations. So what is going on here? Recently I was looking on google(my biggest enemy) something about the positive thinking in general (can't remember right now what), and I accidentally saw some articles against positive thinking, affirmations, and etc and I read on several articles some opinions that actually 'affirmations are suppressing the negative thoughts'. From that moment to now, I can't practice my affirmations at peace. I am very disturbed, I can't be happy with the affirmations again. I am looking for days now for some informations on google that can explain this to me, but all I can find are even more stories from people that hate affirmations. I personally don't believe this. I think that the affirmations change our negative beliefs, but the things that I've read made me feel insecure enough.
Can someone help me here? Maybe someone knows more about this topic and can tell me that the affirmations aren't a suppression and why, so I can be in peace again. Thank you.

Hello again King Kong!laughing There are so many things I'd like to say here.... though I will add here & there...

just fully waking.. and I just find your thread inspirational in many ways!!! I Thank you again for creating this(:

I will begin by sharing I too LOVE affirmations !!! I have only positive experiences with affirmations, afformations, intentions, and affirmative prayer ...

This is true because  affirmations are only part of my tool-bag(: 

When I am choosing affirmations... they are born from my heart place not my mind...{they resonate deeply in that moment} I believe I am a CO-CREATOR & for me that means I am a Spark of a Higher Power ... and that I am partnering with the BEST , which I choose to call God. I allow and surrender specific results...and only expect something wonderful. 

When my affirmations seem incomplete in my experience from my heart place... it is not that I Am believing I am incomplete... It may mean it is time to step back some more and create a bit more... or less...

I get  to learn: what I want more of, less of, or simply no more

I'd like to share a lil' story your question reminds me of:

In the mid 70's... I remember asking a professor {who had introduced me to teachings of ethical hypnosis}... is hypnosis too much of a short cut for the living experience...? The teacher never answered, and no one ever did...So... I answered it myself later and often.

I can give many examples with this, though only 1 stands out that is quick(:

I gave myself auto-suggestions of confidence  {affirmations ...you could say at a very deep level of my consciousness} for  a test I hadn't yet prepared for.

Well I succeeded ..partially.

I felt so great, I didn't study. I looked at the material and it felt as though I wrote it myself...so no need to study...I thought & felt...

{hey, I was only 18 or 19 lol}

The result: I FAILED THE TEST. 

The more important result: I began to figure out, there is more to creating my life than thinking it so... Although, thinking it so with other tools ... which I found out later -helped me go from a C student to an A student  later in life...

will be back... hope to hear from you and others.

feel free to let me know if I'm not hearing your original thoughts from your thread, I would love to be in sync with your thread the way you intended(:

blessings, selfcare {aka AlwaysWonderfulPossibilities}

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Very nice point, thank you for your interesting story! I agree that the affirmations can be very effective but only if believed and well practiced, not just repetition of words, nothing without faith. I read some more informations today and cleared some of my dilemmas about if affirmations are a form of suppression or not,now I am closer to the solution. Since the trick is to replace the negative thoughts with the positive ones and since I am sure that the affirmations totally wash out the negative thoughts and the negative emotions also, now I came to one single question.

So that single question is:

When the positive thoughts and beliefs come on the surface thanks to the affirmations, where did the negative ones go? Are they under the positive ones and we deeply inside still have that negative belief without being aware of it cus our awarnes in now on the positive, or they are completely gone because the one that was a negative once now became the positive and it's the same belief that changed its form to positive?

I would like to hear more about this, I hope that more answers will follow. Thanks!

Thank you  King Kong(:

in response to King Kong's post you stated:since I am sure that the affirmations totally wash out the negative thoughts and the negative emotions also, now I came to one single question.

I would say  its  ... about getting closer to our spirit place, which sees you only in a Good light.

Specifics for each of us will be unique to our experiences

And we get to learn so much about ourselves and building joyous  compassion for ourselves and others  in the process.  more on this later...

in response to King Kong's post you stated:When the positive thoughts and beliefs come on the surface thanks to the affirmations, where did the negative ones go? Are they under the positive ones and we deeply inside still have that negative belief without being aware of it cus our awarnes in now on the positive, or they are completely gone because the one that was a negative once now became the positive and it's the same belief that changed its form to positive?

Of course I can only answer from my own experience...

the thought-question which comes to mind for me it would depend on what thought was there and what the replacement was.

In my experience, creating the way that feels right for me... I am reminded of the quote in regard to thoughts... Don't believe everything you think.

And

I Am creating my own personal reality... with the tools that feel helpful.

So, once again... it depends... what was the thought you are reframing ?

Would you mind giving an example? (:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

For example you think 'I am not very confident', and you now start saying to yourself 'I am confident' so now you become confident after some time.

So where is the belief 'I am not confident' now?

Do we still think like that deeply inside of us but don't know that cus now we choose other belief, or that belief ('I am not confident') is gone cus it changed its form and now become 'I am confident'? Did we solved the problem or we just covered it with a positive statement?

In response to King Kong's post:

will return to your question -where did belief go? soon

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When creating from my heart place and if  focusing on confidence...and felt my confidence was 'unavailable' ...

I would start utilizing affirmations with words like... I allow or I choose... Or I can feel my confidence ___________, or Today is the day my confidence shows up in better better ways...or like never before

• ~~~~~~~~

I would also utilize other types of affirmations ...for example:

affirmative prayer or afformations.

Both are very powerful....

in different ways.

The beliefs could easily change using these.

Are you familiar with these types?

~

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content