login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★A Good Fit

A Good Fit – Finding What Works For Us (Unique for Each of Us)
I began using a term that was ‘thrown around’ in school; a good fit …in a thread I had responded today. I realized … important to express what a “good fit” meant to me….(or as it was coined in school “goodness-of-fit”.)

• So I grabbed an old paper from class I had written…answering a question for an exam on the “ecological system versus the medical model” Ecological System Here’s a piece of my response from a test: The ecological system basically states that individuals live in a conglomerate of conditions. The ecological perspective combines multiple contexts to best understand individuals and their various interactions between various systems. Influences of the psychic (internal), environmental (external), and the genetic (the hereditary) are all essential. Individuals are affected by so many factors. For example, when there is an imbalance between what individuals need and what they are able to do, people experience stress and social dysfunction./The comparison between assessing a person with the ecological view versus the medical model could be best depicted as looking at an individual at face value, as though they had been scanned across a copier and became a two – dimensional photograph, whereas with the ecological perspective the picture would resemble more of a hologram surrounded by mirrors. The medical model would be far too limited for a competent assessment, diagnoses or intervention. Not looking at the “whole person” and what constitutes their “whole environment” would inevitably cut off the need for gathering and determining the many resources that are possible and pertinent to a specific case. The ecological theory not only tries to understand various relationships, but also concerned with a goodness-of-fit; the why and why not of individuals and their environment achieving an adaptive balance .

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Your post made me think of the word ‘homeostasis’. Homeostasis of the whole self, I guess. I was thinking we have to exercise our muscles or they atrophy, well, I guess we have to exercise other things too. We are pretty complex creatures.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

“Complex characters” as stated by Smart_routines is indeed an apt phrase for us folks. As Selfcare enthusiast stated above “when there is an imbalance between what individuals need and what they are able to do, people experience stress and social dysfunction.”- This is so very true.
I have observed that whenever people pretend and carry on with the various chores of life…they actually start ignoring themselves and their very own needs.A time comes, when they are absolutely out of gear and have no clue how to get back to themselves.
In order to fit in to some specific situation, they end up losing themselves.
I have decided and slowly started working at it, one day at a time, that I am going to reach out to life with utmost awareness of not only other’s needs, thoughts and aspirations but also my innate calling.
If we start listening to our inner voice, I am sure it would guide us to the greater Good for all. I am not talking about being self centered nor selfish, all I am trying to express is that acknowledging oneself will always help a great deal when we interact with one another…Unless and until we know what we stand for, How can we go ahead being there for others… it’s a lot like a blind man showing the way…
There fore to me, “A Good Fit” is all about being comfortable with one’s very own perspective towards life… there should be no discord between one’s own mind and heart…

In response to mokshtansdip’s post:
I hear your statements about losing self when being involved with others. That is 1 prime example, of why it is vital to be in touch with one’s own needs. It doesn’t mean we discount the needs of others..but there are times in our lives when we have to ‘big-time’ tilt the caring pendulum more to ourselves… first. The result is so much more rewarding for ourselves and those we love.
———

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Self care Enthusiast:

You are absolutely correct. Just before I logged in I sat and prepared a little to do list for nutrition intake during the third trimester. I am slowly getting ready for the big do… the birthing of my dearest son.

In response to mokshtansdip’s post:
Your family is in for wonderful loving life with you in it(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I just pray so.. I always want to be the loving, happy and caring mother, wife,daughter in law and needless to mention an individual.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content