login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Engagement Requires Disengagement

I’m currently reading The Power of Full Engagement and The 4-hour Body and there are ideas in each book that re-enforce each other.

To live in balance: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually we have to disengage and recover. Otherwise we burn out. Well, it turns out that when you are dieting or exercising this applies as well. If you are on a diet it is important to take a scheduled day off from your diet. Not only does it help you stick with the diet it also actually helps you to lose weight by spiking your metabolism and keeping it from slowing down. (I don’t want to look up all the info and post it, but according to Tim Ferris is it true and it makes sense to me.) Diet six day, then eat whatever you want. Diet six days then eat whatever you want. In the power of full engagement it talks about it in terms of ‘linear’ something or other, but it is a related idea.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

yes u are exactly accurate on that (((((((((((((cookieman))))))))))))
I lost in the past couple of years agoo about 65lbs in about 9 months i was heavy frommy meds i had to take for my bipolar, and yes my nutritionist told me that na dat first i thoght “whats she nuts” i am going to ruin everyhting i have worked so far on, BUT as long as u dont et out of control and just focus on that one day and if u lack in the control area maybe it would be best for u not to do this it took a lot of effort to do that and so to speak stay on the wagon, if u know what i mean, bt yes u wil see and feel the loss wuicker and such

make sense??

LOLAhugs bro jan look forward to getting to know u :)

janymak
www.bipolar4lifesupport.com
support group / 4 any mental health,sharing coping strategies &learning through each others experiences :):) Family&Friends also Welcome :) :) LOLAH

The Power of Full Engagement is a great book.

It’s nit picking and only semantics, but I’m not a fan of the word disengagement though. Same goes for ‘detachment’. I get what he is saying, from memory he was talking about top tier tennis players, and the only difference between number one and number ten was the fact that number one turned around and ‘let go’ of the match, enabling his body and mind to refresh themselves.

But I prefer to look at it as non-attachment. You engage completely in the match, then it’s over, and you engage fully in your relaxation. You taste your drink completely, you feel the towel drying your face, you breath deeply into your stomach, then you turn around and ‘let go’ of your relaxation, engaging completely again in the match.

Using your diet analogy, you engage completely with your diet. Learn to appreciate the new things you are learning about food and your body. Don’t hold on to the fact that you can’t eat that fatty burger that tastes so good with the delicious beer that washes it down. But then on the seventh day, let the diet go completely and indulge in whatever takes your fancy. Don’t feel guilty for not having a salad for lunch, or for munching on the high GI foods, enjoy it completely for what it is.

Something like that anyway :)

edit: reading it again, I guess it’s all context (use of the word disengagement).

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content