login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★♫ Anyone play an instrument?

Anyone play an instrument? What instrument do you play? I’m in awe of those who use their creativity with music. Love to hear what you play and how you began playing?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

There have been a couple of musicians on bmindful who have pointed us to their music on YouTube or mySpace, etc.

Any of you new members? I love homemade music. Porch and kitchen table music is my favorite.

I do! I do!…, but, I’m not a NEW member, lol! Guitar, drums and piano!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I think it’s great that you do kareoke! It shows spunk as far as I’m concerned. I don’t play much anymore, but I used to all the time. I even have a few songs on the internet if you want to look em up. Just search for Jeff Dumas on youtube or jeff dumas music mp3 or something like that and you’ll find some of my stuff. Thanks for asking!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I’d love to hear some music by other bmindfuler’s! Anyone out there have anything on the net we can listen to?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Yes, I play – or I guess I should say I DID play. I hardly ever pick it up anymore, but who knows? I did recently make a list of a couple hundred ‘easy to play’ songs for myself. Lots of good stuff on it. I used to play in a band and we played live a lot, I even went over to Ireland and got to play a few places over there. Nothing big, just a few pubs, but it was really a lot, lot, lot of fun. I loved doing that. One great thing about the pubs in Ireland – they REALLY respect and love musicians over there. The people were so open about their love of music and not self-conscious in the least about singing. One place I played in a small town south of Galway had a ‘musician’s booth’. It was just a little area in a pub there that was where the musicians hung out. I was in another pub one day and this guy at the bar just started singing a song. He didn’t care if anyone heard him or not, the mood just struck him and he started to sing. It wasn’t weird or anything at all like that. It was just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. You don’t see that kind of thing over here, at least I never have. That guy wasn’t a drunken fool either, he was just a regular kind of guy at the pub having a pint.

Another thing that still makes my hair stand on end sometimes when I think about it was the night I played at a ‘songwriters’ night at a pub in Dublin, ironically called The American Pub. The guy I went over there with and I had this appointment to play that night and we found this old pub and asked where to go. They said you go upstairs, well we did. We made out way up this narrow set of stairs up to what to me felt just like a giant attic. It was quite large and dark and the ceiling was kind of low and it was PACKED! I’m not saying that lightly, people were sitting on the floor shoulder to shoulder in this place. In the US they would have called the fire department and shut them down, lol. Anyway, it was smoky and dark and there was the general crowd noise of a big crowd of various groups of people all having conversations among themselves. Well, it got time for the songwriters to start performing so they turned the lights in this dark room even lower. The little stage in this room with the low ceiling had a wonderful, warm orangish glow. Well a guy gets up on stage to announce the first performer and INSTANTLY the whole place shut up. You could hear a pin drop, man. It was awesome. It was like that for every performer. Loud crowd noise, announcer, pin drop, song, sincere applause then repeat over and over. My hair was standing on end. It was electric and profound and even emotional. They went wild when they found out how far we had come to play. It was really moving. Later that same night we were supposed to go to this other pub to play and many of those people came to hear us there too. AND at THAT place, more of a disco/pub thingie, kind of a gaudy dance club kind of place really, well, at THAT place they were having a drum circle on stage before we performed. It was AWESOME! I’ve never seen anything like it before, not that I haven’t seen a drum circle, but I’ve never seen one in a dance club thing. It was wild. It was crazy, we had our regular set list and they wanted us to play stuff like American Pie and New York, New York when they found out we were from the US. At that time I’d never even been to New York before, lol. Anyway, I’ve rambled on enough. Are you sorry you asked now?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I’m glad you made me think of that, I haven’t in a long time. Later that night though we were walking back to the little hostel we were staying at and we stopped in I THINK a McDonalds, (food over there sucks, don’t ever let anyone ever tell you the Irish or the English know how to cook, lol), anyway we went in and my buddy, Charley, left his backpack on the sidewalk. We were away from it like ten minutes and no one, I mean no one was around, it was probably three in the morning, anyway we went straight back, we weren’t gone more than ten minutes and his backpack was gone. It had our mics and our tuners in it. That really sucked. A couple hundred dollars worth of equipment gone in an instant. If you ever go to Ireland, be sure and keep an eye on your stuff. In Dublin, at least, there are a lot of thieves.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Were you born there? Do you have an Irish accent? I’d love to hear more!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks guys! There is one on youtube called Hey Jonathan also. I wrote that song with Jonathan Livingston Seagull in mind. It’s a wonderful book, as it Illusions also by Richard Bach. I didn’t make that video though, I’m not sure who did. There are also a few other floating around out there.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

there was a time.. when I used to spend hours on my guitar and drums.. its been ages… that I ve done that. Miss my guitar times…those were the days my friend!

I’ve been playing the guitar for a long time. I also sing. I am currently trying to work up a solo set, half vocal, half instrument.

The number of resources available to musicians on the internet is simply astounding! It really is!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I used to play piano, flute, harmonica and some folk instruments….It’s been long time I didn’t have time to play those and I forgot how to play.

“I’m a skilfull player and music makes me relaxed everyday”

In response to Ody’s post:
Wonderful how you added current affirmation…! (:

&…This is great to hear everyones musical skills. Who knows how mentioning desires…to others and following up on these areas will create more desire & tap into talent at this time of your lives. Wonderful! Everyone Keep Us Informed…

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Here is one for you guys. My Shirt – Jeff Dumas – Vintage Public Domain Video Clips

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Here’s another one

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

guitar and drum player here.

Did I mention that I now have a mandolin. Not great at playing it yet by any means, but, here is a link to one song that I can play on the mandolin. Check out this great lost classic.

St James Infirmary

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

A more “updated” version of St James Infirmary

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content