Lee
Posted on 04/02/2009. Last edited on 08/06/2026.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Apparently this speech was given by Nelson Mandela and was originally written by Marianne Williamson.
“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller
In response to Lee Nutter’s post:
Wonderful, thanks for sharing that!
That’s great “We are all meant to shine, as children do”
and so true that “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” —-So true.
The fear of humiliation appears to be one of the most powerful motivators in individual and collective human behavior Donald Klein
BE YOU
“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi
Gracey
Posted on 07/02/2009.
Hi Lee, I love this piece. Thanks for posting it here a bmindful. Pat
This quote has been incorrectly attributed to
Nelson Mandela in his inaugural speech of 1994.
He never spoke these words in his speeches that year.
You can read Nelson’s actual inaugural speeches at these links:
http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/mandela/1994/inaugct.html
http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/history/mandela/1994/inaugpta.html
Gracey
Posted on 07/02/2009.
The famous passage from her book is often erroneously attributed to the inaugural address of Nelson Mandela. About the misattribution Williamson said, “Several years ago, this paragraph from A Return to Love began popping up everywhere, attributed to Nelson Mandela’s 1994 inaugural address. As honored as I would be had President Mandela quoted my words, indeed he did not. I have no idea where that story came from, but I am gratified that the paragraph has come to mean so much to so many people.”
Marcus Twain
Posted on 21/03/2012. Last edited on 22/03/2012.
I AGREE WITH THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS,AND OF COURSE I LOVE M.W.I USE TO ATTEND HER CHURCH YEARS AGO IN MICHIGAN.I BELIEVE THERE ARE A FEW DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO STAY ON SOME SORT OF PATH TO GET BEYOND THIS FEAR OF ENLIGHTMENT.IT VARIES PERHAPS FROM ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER.TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE,IN MY EXPERIENCE IT REQUIRES DESIRE, TENACITY,GRACE,AND THE AWARENESS THAT OUR UNCONSCIOUS IS A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH ME DOING THINGS THAT ARE NOT ON IT,S AGENDA.AND WHERE DOES THE UNCONSCIOUS FORMULATE IT,S BELIEFS,USUALLY FROM NEGATIVE MESSAGES ACCUMULATED EVEN PRIOR TO BIRTH,UNTILL WHENEVER WE START TO WAKE UP,20 30 40 YEARS ALOT OF DOUBT AND FALSE BELIEFS CAN POTENTIALLY OCCUR.THE GOOD NEWS THOSE MESSAGES THAT CREATED,NEGATIVE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS ARE FALSE AND THEY ARE EVEN GETTING TIRED OF THERE NON-SENSE…JUST MY PERSPECTIVE.THAT,S WHY THE JOURNEY IS WHAT MATTERS AND THE DESTINATION IS PART AND PARCEL OF THE JOURNEY…NOW I KNOW SOME OF THAT MADE SENSE
Once you get to know Twain, you’ll never be the same.
.
1. I am safe enough to breathe.
2. Feeling fear is okay; it will pass.
3. I can do one small thing now.
4. My worth is not my worry.
5. I meet fear with gentle clarity.
6. I am capable of steady progress.
7. I choose one step over many worries.
8. I breathe, center, and act.
9. I trust myself to handle what I can.
10. I allow rest without shame.
11. I return to the task with patience.
12. Small actions build real momentum.
13. I am more than my anxious thoughts.
14. I focus on what I can control.
15. I am resilient and resourceful.
16. I complete what matters one step at a time.
17. I honor my limits and keep moving.
18. I calm my body to steady my mind.
19. I choose priorities with kindness.
20. I give myself permission to try.
21. I let go of perfection to finish well.
22. I prepare, start, and follow through.
23. I trust the process of gradual progress.
24. I am present, focused, and capable.
25. Each completed step brings relief.
BE YOU
“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi
1. It’s okay to take it easy right now.
2. Small beginnings are still progress.
3. I give myself permission to move at my own pace.
4. Rest is productive and necessary.
5. I honor what I need in this moment.
6. One gentle step is enough for now.
7. I can begin without needing to finish it all.
8. Slow effort today builds strength tomorrow.
9. I trust the timing that feels right for me.
10. My pace does not determine my worth.
11. I choose kindness toward myself first.
12. I can start small and adjust as I go.
13. Pause when needed; continue when ready.
14. Every tiny action matters.
15. I prioritize ease over urgency when I can.
16. Progress can be quiet and steady.
17. I notice what helps and do that.
18. Beginning is brave, even if it’s gentle.
19. I meet myself with patience.
20. I allow breaks without guilt.
21. Doing a little is better than doing nothing.
22. I trust myself to know when to rest and when to act.
23. I am enough in rest and in action.
24. I can return to tasks with fresh energy later.
25. This moment’s choice to be gentle serves my future self.
BE YOU
“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi

BE YOU
“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi
Jump to Top ^^
To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!
Related Content