login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Discussion★Marinating Your Frog & Readiness to Devour

I still have remnants of a hardy laugh ever since MeditatingMama created the metaphor for her eating a frog, was “only” at the marinated- frog stage versus actually devouring it

That is such an impressive observation about her 'frog eating-process'!

I believe it’s so important that we have a sense of awareness about what it takes to do what we say we want to accomplish;whether it’s to just to admit we need to do something different, to think about getting started, to make a plan, to do something in the plan and to keep it going until it’s a habit/routine.

One of my favorite models

that seems to communicate steps of change that we recycle through (or a marinating process, still lol),is the Transtheoretical Model by Prochaska & DiClemente, and Norcross .

Image result for pic quote  stages of change pic precontemplation  Transtheoretical Model by Prochaska & DiClemente, and Norcross .

StagesofChange.jpg

Stage 1: Pre-Contemplation
This stage is that “unaware” stage. This is the stage, it would be best to ask others why they engage in a particular activity, or stopped one, that brought them any benefits.
Stage 2: Contemplation
This is the thinking-about it stage. A person feels they should incorporate the change, but lack some area to feel they could really do it. At this stage, making a commitment or a pledge, that they will begin exercising, begin making plans, begin eating frogs etc. Considering pros and cons at this stage. Staying at this stage too long can cause chronic procrastination; so making a commitment at this stage is the ticket.
Stage 3: Preparation
Readiness is here! An action plan is now a must, with good back up plans.
Stage 4: Action!! Lots of energy at this stage; this is where most behavior change occurs. Repeated declaration of commitment is needed to keep the flow of focus happening. It’s a must to keep reviewing plans and back up plans at this stage. Like exercise it gets easier the more you do it, and loses its momentum when you stop for long periods of time. This doesn’t mean when you do stop , you have to start at square 1 of what got you motivated; just best to keep up what you’ve started. Look for ways to keep inspiring yourself; like affirmations and sharing your intent with people who can support you.

Stage 5: Maintenance
You’ve created a routine, some say over 6 mos. -> To really get to a stage of something to maintain, and not just an idea of a new habit. It’s pretty much the real thing at this point.. Keep revising your goals down to a science at this point. To keep your new behavior; keep it interesting, and keep it real.

After this, it’s normal to “recycle” through the earlier stages. You can have been going along great for years and go back to pre-contemplation, and contemplation (and wonder was the new behavior something you really want back in your life). If it was at all beneficial, to your greater good, you’ll be back, if you want it badly enough.

thread from 2009 {will add references when I find them again}(:

I Am the
Allowing Complete Unadulterated Readiness

Reminds me of these four steps.

Unconscious incompetence – when you don’t know, you don’t know something.
Conscious incompetence – when you know you don’t know it.
Conscious competence – when you know it / can do it, but it takes effort and careful attention.
Unconscious competence – when you know something / can do something automatically / without thinking.

There’s not much you can do about something you don’t know you don’t know, but when it’s brought to your attention you should learn as much as you can about it. Conscious competence is the practice stage, where you do it over and over until it’s automatic. Thanks when you become unconsciously competent.

How does this relate to frogs? I guess the goal is to become unconsciously competent at eating frogs. It’s an automatic thing to wake up in the morning and get on with that task that you just don’t want to do.

You know and understand the benefits of doing it and don’t even think about doing things another way! It becomes habit.

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content