login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Music Does Inspire Positive Feelings/Thoughts

EVENTUALLY thread to go thru a bit of revision this year. browse & post as is(:

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Untitled-1.jpg

intro post

• Thread Title: ˚Music Does Inspire Positive Feelings/Thoughts

Jason MrazAnything You Want

Jason MrazLife is Good

related threadheart felt music-Playing For a Change

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ** * “ ***Table Of Contents of sorts …in process***”:http://bmindful.com/forum/thread/744/-music-does-inspire-positive-feelingsthoughts#post46763

Some Resources You May Like: PositiveMusicAssociation.com The Positive Music Association (PMA) is an international organization dedicated to promoting Positive music artists, and Positive music as a distinct category of music. Positive music is defined as lyric-based music with universal, life-affirming messages. It’s music for personal and social change. From Natasha Bedingfield’s “Unwritten” and John Lennon’s “Imagine” to indie songs like “Xtraordinary,” “If I Were Brave,” and “Right This Moment,” Positive music has been around for years but is only now becoming its own unique genre of music. ***~Copyright © 2004–2014 Positive Music Association~*** to read article in its entirety
    …to be continued happily(:
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ** * ***Music and Happiness*** The neurological studies of music on the brain seem to indicate that we’re hardwired to interpret and react emotionally to a piece of music. Indeed, this process starts very early on. One study found that babies as young as five months old reacted to happy songs, while by nine months they recognized and were affected by sad songs [source: LiveScience]. Physiological states brought on by music only intensify as we grow. Happy music, usually featuring a fast tempo and written in a major key, can cause a person to breathe faster, a physical sign of happiness [source: Leutwyler]. Similarly, sad music, which tends to be in the minor keys and very slow, causes a slowing of the pulse and a rise in blood pressure. That seems to indicate that only happy music is beneficial, but those that know the value of a good cry or a cathartic release may find that sad or angry music can bring about happiness indirectly. read more ***~© 1998-2014 HowStuffWorks, Inc~***
  • ** * Music, Neuroscience, and the Psychology of Well-Being Positive Psychology & Music [m]usic has been one of our oldest forms of stress reduction (Lehrer and Wookfolk, 1993, p. 9) and Avant et al. (1990–1991) report that musical engagement was shown to be more effective than, for example, progressive muscle relaxation and focused imagery in relieving stress. Music has been used to facilitate psychological well-being among the elderly (Laukka, 2007), and as one woman suffering with chronic illness reported, “I have this sensation of my body being a set of electrical circuits and the energy in the music passes right through my body and it feels like a cleansing or an undoing of kinks” (quoted from a woman going by the name “Celia,” in Nicol, 2010, p. 356). Consistent with first person reports such as these, Krueger (2011) has rightly suggested that music is often a tool that can be used to “enact micro-practices” that can influence an individual’s regulatory functions, such as their emotions (p. 2; see also Trevarthen, 1999; Juslin and Sloboda, 2001; Molnar-Szakacs and Overy, 2006, p. 239).

***~Articles from Frontiers in Psychology are provided here courtesy of Frontiers Media SA~***
Front Psychol. 2011; 2: 393.
Published online Jan 2, 2012. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00393

• __________
  • ** * Music Providing Hope
    Last week British singer-songwriter Joan Armatrading presented a series of 15 minutes programs on BBC Radio about choirs, from gospel to world music and classical. In one, she interviewed medical practitioners who describe the various benefits that singing can have on both mental and physical well-being, as well as talking to several people whose own lives have been completely transformed as a result of starting to sing in a choir.
  • __________

Instrumental on Top

Roughly half the participants were instructed “to consciously try to improve your mood while listening to this music.” The others were asked to “just listen naturally.” Afterwards, all were asked to express their mood, both directly (on a scale from very positive to very negative) and indirectly (by their reaction to a series of words including “joyful” and “satisfied”).

For those who listened to the Stravinsky, consciously attempting to be happier had no significant impact on their mood. However, among those who listened to Copland, the identical effort paid off: Those who consciously attempted to elevate their mood reported feeling happier, overall, than those who did not.

“This demonstrates that the combination of intentions and proper method is important in raising positive mood,” the researchers conclude—the “proper method” being, in this case, listening to music that is congruent with happiness.

In the second study, 68 students attended five lab sessions in which they listened to 15 minutes of music of their choosing. The pieces were from various genres, but all were “specifically chosen because they were thought to enhance positive mood.”

Half were instructed that, over a two-week period, they should “think a lot about their happiness and try to feel happier.” In contrast, the others were warned that “by focusing on your happiness, you risk distracting yourself from enjoying the music and the positive effects it may have on you.” Thus they should “attend to the music rather than focusing on your happiness.”

At the beginning and end of the two-week period, they filled out a standard survey designed to measure how happy they felt. The researchers found “a larger increase in subjective happiness” among those who consciously worked at elevating their spirits. This suggests that “the will to become happier,” combined with music that evokes positive emotions, can be a powerful combination.

What Types of Music Makes Us Happiest source www.science20.com/positive_psychology_digest

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~