login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

AUGUST 2026 eflecting_on_systems_and_your_relationship_to_them

You would likely benefit from considering systems and how you "fit" into systems. You are in the universe. You are on earth. You are an individual. You interact with other "things". We can categorize those things as "living things" and "non-living things". You affect the world in some ways. The world affects you in some ways. You influence the things in the world and the things of the world also influence you to varying degrees. One of the axioms I have framed and put on my wall is this: Agency: Some things are in your control. Some things are not. Wisdom begins with knowing the difference. By reflecting on systems and how they relate to one another, how they overlap, and how they influence one another you will be able to make better sense of your own life.

When I think of myself and systems I understand that my sphere of influence is related to other individual people (thinking things), groups and/or organizations (corporations, governments, organizations), and non-thinking "things". Some of the non-thinking things are tools - cars, pencils, notebooks, cars, lawnmowers etc... one tool that is quite useful to know how to use is your computer. 

If you consider "systems", it is useful to understand that you computer is a tool, but it is a very sophisticated tool. The computer itself is a system and your interaction with the computer is also a system. You and your computer can influence each other, and you and your computer can influence the larger system of you, your computer, and the world that you and your computer are a part of. 

To improve our ability to function in the world and improve our own lives and potentially the lives of others it is beneficial to understand systems, organization, and the computer itself. 

Now let's consider the human brain/mind. In a general sense the human mind can only hold a few ideas at a time and be able to "juggle" these few ideas practically. You can think of your brain/mind as a device that holds lots of information, but just because it has a lot of information in there that is available to you, doesn't mean you have instant access to all of it at once. Remember, you can only really work with a few ideas at once. That is an important point, because it bears on systems and tools as well as our understanding of systems and tools. You use your brain all the time for input and output of ideas/knowledge. It is amazing, but if we contrast that with the computer, it is slow and inefficient in some respects. Where you as a human have to slow down and consider what information you need and spend time retrieving it, a computer can retrieve vast amounts of information almost instantly. This is where understanding systems better and making that understanding a part of your normal human operating system to the degree that you don't have to "think" about systems, but simply "know" about systems and more precisely YOUR system can really benefit you.

to be continued...

 

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Enjoying your thread

looking

forward to it as you continue 

BE YOU

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi

Some terms I now use for myself are MRWOS, MPCOS, and MSTOS. 

Let me explain how I organically came up with those terms and what they mean to me. Those terms may be somewhat crude or imperfect, but to understand how they came into being is related to how I view my own relationship to various systems and my place in those systems and the tools or various systems within the overall system. Here is my attempt to explain: I live in the real world universe. In the real world universe there are "things". The things in the real world universe can be classified as "beings" and "things". Beings are things, things are beings, but not all things are beings. Tools are things, but tools are not beings. Beings can act on their own, they can be self-directed. This understanding touches on the Divine Spark that is clearly in beings, but is not clearly in non-living beings. It is as if the Divine Spark that is obvious in living beings vs whatever the "God Component" that exists in non-living beings is analogous to a comparison of the terms "active" vs "dormant". Okay, with that in mind I will proceed with my explanation. In the world are beings, one of which is me. I interact in the world with other "beings" and tools (non-thinking things). Beings influence one another to some degree, greater or lesser degrees. Beings can act individually or they can be part of groups of beings - like governments, or societies, or clubs, for example. Tools can be used to influence the world when used by beings. An intelligent tool like an ai could even be programmed to use tools and influence the world. An individual being has a sphere of influence and groups of being can have a sphere of influence. Beings and things can influence tools, and tools can even influence beings. Something does not require a Divine Spark to have an influence in the real world. You could, for example, have an artificial intelligence give orders to an army of robots which could have very, very real real-world consequences. All of that was to say that spheres of influence affect the world to varying degrees and an individual has a sphere of influence and that sphere of influence can expand or contract. MSTOS is My Real World Operating System. MSTOS is a short term/acronym that captures the idea of my personal interaction with other beings or groups of beings and my interaction with tools (non-thinking things). My personal computer is a tool with its own operating system. I capture this idea with MPCOS, My Personal Computer Operating System. One way I view MYPCOS is a tool, my computer, and the hardware and software that make up the computer - the tool. I can view my computer has having two main areas inside of it, the stuff that I personally use and work in most of the time (MSTOS) and the stuff that the tool itself needs to operate. Sometimes there is a need for me to go into "the lobby", but most of the time I work in MyStudio. The Lobby, as I see it, is the area of the computer where there are some folders that are rough-equivalens to some of the folders in MyStudio. "The Lobby" has in it some folders that someone put there - the people who created the computer's operating system put folders in the lobby like "Music, or, Pictures, for example) so that most people could have some useful folders right off the bat to use. MyStudio is a very important folder to my understanding of systems. MyStudio is the area of the computer in which I, more or less, can separate "MY working environment" vs the Computer's Working Environment. MyStudio is a customized environment tailored to how I think and work. MyStudio is an improvement on what "some operating system developer" THOUGHT would be useful for me. It would be if I didn't understand systems, but I do to some degree. I know better than a stranger how I think. I know how I want to organize things for myself better than a stranger does. MPCOS and MSTOS are both inside of MRWOS, but MPCOS and MSTOS can be distinguished from one another. I create a folder inside of MPCOS called MyStudio. Inside of MyStudio I create my own custom set of folders. I normally work inside of MyStudio, but there are times when I have to go back into what I call "The Lobby" because there are times when I am working with things that are for the computer almost exclusively, if I write a script that is primarily for the computer to use I might need to place that script in a folder that is out in the lobby area. There are times when I might create a script that logically belongs in MyStudio somewhere, but the distinction is important in my own mind because I, as a human, think most naturally using relational thinking. Thinking in systems and how they relate, for me at least, helps me with my use of the computer by making a distinction between "things that are mostly created for the computer to us in its operating system", vs "things that are mostly created for ME to use". Since I sometimes go into "the lobby" for things I need to do - like add a file to a lobby folder, for example - I consider "The Lobby" as a part of MyStudio, but is it sort of like a maintenance area. Most of my real work happens in MyStudio. MyStudio is INSIDE of the MPCOS. MyStudio is a "special place" inside of MPCOS. I could probably ramble on and wind up overexplaining. I hope this makes sense to you.

 

An AI is a thing without the "divine spark". It can mimic something that does have the "divine spark". Because of this some people can believe that an "ai" is a true being in the way a human is a true being. The ai is a sophisticated machine and is built to use logic and reasoning as part of how it works. It is not alive the way you and I are. Because it is a machine built by humans it can be used to help or it can be used to harm. Because of the nature of humans it stands to reason that mines and timebombs have already been created with ai. A mine has to be triggered. A time-bomb is already ticking. It stands to reason that over time mines and timebombs will be built if that are not already built.

 

The point of my post is this: You should think about systems and your own unique system especially.

 

I have rambled a lot so I will take a break for now, but I will post more later.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

in case that was a case for tldr, what I think you will benefit from it thinking about "how" you think about things. I hope I'm not starting out writing something that not one will bother reading, but IF you think about how you think about things you will likely come to some similar conclusions that I have come to. I have things I want to know and things I need to know. I want to know more about music theory and learning about languages, I NEED to know more about terminal commands and general technical jargon. I don't really want to know why a PDF is useful for the sake of knowing why a pdf is useful, but, I can benefit from understanding that. If I think about how I think about these things I come to a division of knowledge "types" with respect to myself. I have created in my folder structure in my MyStudio folder a folder called KBLD. KBLD means Knowledge Base and Life Domains. With respect to what I was just talking about a document designed to help me learn about PDF usage is a general "Knowledge Base" kind of thing. A file that is to help me learn about something of special interest to me is something that belongs to a "Life Domain". Inside of my KBLD folder I have folders to help me make sense of everything in the KBLD folder. I can apply more "natural thinking" strategies to my folder structure. I have another folder in MyStudio called CastleKeep. It has other important information it it, but for one reason or another the information I have in there "naturally" from my own perspective, belongs in that folder.    If you think about the ideas I am talking about your "system" starts to take root in your own THINKING. Once you understand your own system then your system lives in your own head. Sure, you can use it on your computer and it will help you, but if you understand it in your own head then you don't even need a computer to make use of the system. We are in the month of August as I am writing this. Right now and in a week or two you can go to Walmart and buy notebooks very, very cheaply. Last year after school started I got a bunch of basic notebooks for ten cents each. You can create a system using simple notebooks that costs almost nothing and will really help you. A couple of ideas that might give you a leg up on creating a system with notebooks are listed here: Create a notebook for "lists". Create one as sort of just a mind dump "journal". Create one for any significant project you are working on. Consider taking advantage of other people's thinking about this. 

Give Me 6 Minutes

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I was in bed and got up to share a thought... Journaling. A scary word. I was actually journaling in bed. I never have really been a "Journaler". It occurred to me that there is a relationship between what I have written about in this thread and journaling. Journaling is about getting thoughts out on paper. A system can be applied to journaling and SHOULD be applied to journaling. If you create a mental map, a mental system, you can benefit by using a computer, but you don't need a computer because you can do the same thing with a journal, but not A journal, but several "journals". If you consider notebooks as "journals" you can have a system of journals. A lists journal, a mind dump stream of consciousness journal, a health journal, a gratitude journal, a health journal, a journal for anything you are interested in learning journal with a plan for how to learn whatever it is you create the journal for. A journal for "streaks", a log of your eating or exercising for example. Anyway... just a thought. Goodnight.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm's post:

Good Morning 💐

Enjoying your thoughts 

I would like to add agreement to the journaling . Firm believer in the long list of journaling ideas you listed & more. This morning when I woke - I could feel I had an incredible amount on my mind ..  though it was non specific - I thought

- just felt like a lack of clarity . I told myself - just waking can feel like that . Though - since I know writing ✍️ often is big for me … I took out a steno pad - no sentences .. no judgement… just created a list with my eyes @ 1/2 mass . I filled up a few pages - with many details & important subject areas.  
As usual .. though I often . forget the usefulness until the result is being more grounded every time  I also fell back to sleep … deep sleep … & now ready to start the day. Great thoughts Smart Routines & enjoy reading them. 
very recently happened to create this affirmation 

I create ideal systems

that work so

well for me.

 

BE YOU

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi

Pls continue when you are ready - looking forward 💐

BE YOU

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi

I love how you share your minds workings on a post ❣️

BE YOU

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” – Vince Lombardi

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content