login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

- -★★ Nurturing the Spirit| 5thEdition-Soul Food Series

The body, mind and spirit are intricately woven together they thrive when you nurture them. Optimum health can be achieved when all three areas are in balance. Just as the body needs healthy food and exercise, the mind needs stimulation, your true essence (spirit)
also requires regular nourishment.

“When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” Jean Shinoda Bolen

Earlier generations realized the importance of nurturing the spirit. In my family Sunday was designated specifically for that purpose. We attended a religious service. As a child, I can recall being rewarded after Sunday School with an ice cream cone. When service was over we would go to my Grandmothers’ home. This was a time of coming together, sharing a delicious meal, while catching up on events that occurred during the week or discussing plans for the future, playing and sharing jokes and laughter. The activities would culminate in the sharing of “Sunday Dinner”.

When I think of nurturing the spirit, a quote by Shakespeare comes to mind, “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..” Setting aside time to cultivate your faith and spiritual beliefs is essential to connecting with your very essence and honoring your spirit. Whether one attends Temple, the Mosque, has Shabbat or keeps the Sabbath, there are numerous ways to engage your spirit.

Times have changed reflected in our lifestyles, the subsequent fast pace we live in has altered some traditions and practices while creating new ones. For some, Sunday has become just an ordinary other day filled a myriad of tasks and activities.

Let us be mindful how important it is to set aside time to nurture/renew our spirit regularly. This promotes true balance, harmony and peace in our lives.

Here are some tips you may find beneficial in nurturing your spirit

Meditation
Meditation has proven to have incredible benefits for the mind, body and spirit. It decreases depression and your stress level enabling you to intentionally connect with body, mind and spirit. There are different types of Meditation you may want to try.

Deep Breathing
Sit or lie down comfortably and rest your hands on your stomach. Count to ten slowly while inhaling through your nose. Hold your breath for a second, then slowly count to ten while you exhale. As you feel more in control, you can increase the time,
Repeat this activity a few times.

Mindfulness Meditation
Focus completely on your breath. Allow any thoughts to just pass through without any response/or judgment. You will find that by focusing totally on your breath a stillness/clearance is created, a sense of peace can then be obtained.

Visualization
Relax, close your eyes and imagine you are in a quiet peaceful place, enjoying a starlit night or a lovely forest. Allow your imagination to take control to the point that you can hear birds wings flying by or a gentle breeze. You will find the state of relaxation wonderfully calming.

Mantra
Pick a soothing phrase, word or sound that you can say aloud or silently.
Some people choose to use chimes or bells, whatever you seem to gravitate to. You will find that the repetition creates a sense of relaxation.

Visualization
Relax, close your eyes and imagine you are in a quiet peaceful place, enjoying a starlit night or a lovely forest. Allow your imagination to take control to the point that you can hear birds wings flying by or a gentle breeze. You will find the state of relaxation wonderfully calming.

Appreciate Nature
A sense if peace engulfs you when you take the time to experience nature. It has the ability to connect us to the present moment. Lying back and watching the clouds roll by in the sky, listening to the songs of the birds. Just taking in the beauty of it all fuels a sense of gratitude for just being alive. If you are a city dweller, take a few minutes to take a stroll down the street or go to a park. You will feel refreshed and rejuvenated.

Practice Gratitude
I have shared ways to express Gratitude such as journaling. You can keep a gratitude jar in your home or office for people to write down what they are grateful for and then place in the jar, and share your gratitude at meals, meetings or other gatherings. You will begin to notice how your spirit responds when you approach the world with a heart filled with Gratitude, there is an undeniable sense of joy.

Creativity
A wonderful self-nurturing practice is expressing your creativity. It connects and nourishes our minds, bodies and spirits in an enjoyable way. There are many ways to nurture yourself with creativity such as drawing, coloring, collaging, painting, creating an altar, decorating, writing, dancing, gardening or singing, Indulging in a creative experience allows you to wonderfully express your true beauty and authenticity.

Vacation/Staycation
Time off from your normal routine can be a welcome break to reenergize and nurture your spirit. It can be anything from a day trip, a long weekend or a two week excursion.

recent Soul Food Series-threads

Please feel free to share some of the wonderful things you do to nurture your spirit.
We are on the magnificent journey together.

another wonderful piece in your series! Thank you Nancee.

I'll add from time to time to this post(:

You asked what wonderful thing(s) do we do to nurture our spirit… Love this reflection question!
I had a beautiful interruption from a friend a bit ago. We caught up on so much, and I felt so heard… and enjoyed the trust… & love.

I didn’t have to explain…She just ‘got me’ And by the time the conversation was over…I felt no amount of affirmations can replace a good exchange with a friend. (though I do love my affirmations too) lol.
so love friends who are ‘all heart’ … It helps me share mine more(:

I am someone who takes much space for myself, though I love friends…who will be themselves and compassionate. Sounds like our community… Grateful for my friends here too(: The love, the inspiration, the sharing of life…. It’s all good. Thank you!

1e99dd63c89c6521828433265479334b--princess-quotes-the-princess.jpg

I Am living a Divine plan

I will start us off…
I enjoy so may different things in nurturing my spirit. I burn incense, jasmine, frankincense and sandalwood are some of my favorites. I find them especially comforting as they waft through the air. I also love candles and focus on the light illuminating the world with love. Just some of the things that brighten my day and make my spirit shout Yeah!!

Absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing. I neglected to include one of the things that has a tremendous impact on nurturing our spirit, relationships. Friends and family are so beneficial, it is as is if they make our spirit make a wonderful sound of appreciation Ahhhh.

In response to Nancee1953’s post:
Beautiful thread Nancee!! Thank you!

I sincerely agree with what you are point at, with nourishing our spirit, and restoring balance to our mind, body spirit connection.

I believe when we take care and nourish and nurture our spirit, we create perfect conditions for synchronicity.

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

In response to Nancee1953’s post:

For me, I am getting in to using a diffuser with essential oils. I use the Young Living essential oils. My 3 favorite oils are Sacred Frankincense, Eucalyptus, and a proprietor bottle named Stress away. I mix all three of these together. Sometimes I use only the Sacred Frankincense, and its very good for increasing intuition and for healing.

I use the diffuser every night. When I’m working on the computer in the day, I also use it then. Its effect is very subtle.

I also love to work with crystal bowls. I’m hoping to get into a bigger living arrangement so I can use the bowls again, they are amazing. The bowls are great because they help you to relax very deeply. The longer you listen, the further you relax. Its like listening to the sound and the note of eternity. And, every day, the stars and the universe have shifted, and every encounter with the crystal bowls, its a brand new experience. Its never the same.

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

Sounds amazing Kathi!!!

nurture+your+Soul.jpg

fe10bb25a1d81593fccfb320a12a1bde.jpg

Every-Act-of-Kindness-Grows-the-Spirit-Strengthens-the-Soul..jpg

b114a08fca7c56332765734e08db2053.jpg

3bf66ed3d893c7685a54dcb8a7914aa0.jpg

1d5a5c3f409476cf6afd39eb43f6ab41.jpg

01127d16c8bc47d5ac326e2c8cfa3351.jpg

2410bc549b7d848caeef2b4b4044c619.jpg

“To boldly and or vulnerably go where no one has gone before”

spiritual_quote_of_the_day.jpg

eaa814f4dd42b5ce53f25b8e287d0aa7.jpg

Related image

nurture+your+Soul.jpgced2b7827a791c5d79c90baf24bfa803--garden-quotes-gardens.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Let-us-be-mindful-how.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content