login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Frugal Xmas Ideas?

I really love Christmas. Even though we were very poor most of our lives we had very memorable times. My mom would make Tamales which is a custom for the Mexican people. It took the whole day but we were very excited to eat them. She made everything so lively. Hot coffee delicious desserts and
of course music!

Now that the families have grown so much traditions have been lost. Do you have any ideas on gifts they don’t necessarily need to be bought. Especially children and the latest toys or teenagers who want expensive gifts.

My neices are blessed with a mother and father who have great jobs. Last year watching them unwrap all their gifts seemed more fun then the gifts they were bought. Which were an arm an a legs’s worth. I don’t believe in that kind of spending. I’d love to hear your ideas.

Peace,
Mary

My mouth is watering at the thought of those tamales… I work at a resale store which benefits adults with disabilities, so I hope this doesn’t seem self serving, I just thought it was great when a customer said her whole family decided to shop for gifts only from shops or organizations which provide benfits to the needy.
I’m sure the bmindfulers will have many more ideas as well. Happy Holidays! Jan

Any item I give, is somehow personal or personalized. I find if a person really hears I’m listening to their wants and/needs it makes for a special present. I like quantity of personal, functional and festive items that are affordable..

When my mom was alive, I used to do that for her for any day, and made it a celebration.

If I hear someone enjoys writing or drawing, I go to the hobby store and find something that is part of their craft. It generally isn’t expensive. I then find other things in the same context in stores like Big Lots. I make a beautiful basket out of it..Do you have them by you? Their items and prices are like being at a flea market..and I find cool things.

I also love to go online, not to purchase, but to find info that the person enjoys to read about, and print until your hearts content. Very small personalized collages are fun too. I did that for an elderly good friend one year. His passion was chess. I found a site with sayings from famous people on living life all related to playing chess. It turned out to be quite a beautiful booklet. He loved it, and it was personal.

I got an idea from another bmindfuler..They showed me a book cover they got..I downloaded it, and changed their person’s name on it to my person I was giving something to….And got it together as a journal or art book cover for them. Bottom line it’s personalized.

This year at work, we’re doing a 1 name gift-picking basket. I don’t like those cheap gift boxes at the stores unless the person really likes the items. Gift cards for favorite stores work too. And if you are getting other things make up the difference with a bigger or smaller gift card..They’ll go to the store they love to go to anyway..And they’ll get a discount on their favorite item, or if possible get the item with your card..Either way..they’ll be happy.

So I make my own baskets based on their liking…costs stay down, and items are personal and desired. Think of the things you need in life, are they always expensive? What if someone bought you several items that were meaningful to you,that you enjoyed or needed, and wrapped them all in a beautiful basket…Would you like it for you?

Think of how you’d like to be showered with gifts, bet you could keep the costs down..

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thank you for your ideas they can surely help.

We aren’t trading gifts this year. Although, we are celebrating by taking a vacation together to the beach (which is a big deal for those of us in the middle of the USA).

My kids were waaaaaaaaay too much into the “gimme’s” Mom, Give me this… Mom, give me that… So, in order to block the “gimme’s”, we are taking a vacation from gifts.

What are we doing instead? My six year old and I spent an afternoon making a beautiful Xmas wreath for our front door. The boys are begging me to make popcorn strands for decorating. We will probably make a big production one afteroon and make my grandmothers “Peanut butter Balls” recipe. It is labor intensive, but delicious.

IF they want to wrap presents, we may go to a giving tree and pick a gift to give someone else. BUT, NO PRESENTS THIS YEAR!!! I want them to appreciate, but not expect gifts… besides, they have everything they really need or could possibly want. It just isn’t necessary – and they won’t miss it… We’ll be at the beach swimming and having a great time!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to jancydat’s post:

jancydat I think that’s a great idea. Your shop sounds wonderful giving to people who are in need. There are so many these days.

Making Tamales kind of makes me exicted but makes my heart sink at the same time. It usually takes a couple of days to complete. So I am well on my way to preparing things ahead of time to have a wonderful xmas. It worked out great for me at Thanksgiving because I was able to sit with everyone and enjoy my meal.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
You are giving gifts this year. Big ones. Extravagant ones!

You give big surpluses of love, decorating as a family, gifts of knowing the value of giving, and a trip to the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I bought a 3-ring binder and some sheet protectors and made a little art instruction book for my niece. I downloaded a bunch of stuff from How to Draw Cartoons and Cartoon Critters and a few other sites I found. It turned out great and it’s something she will be able to use for years. I’m really proud of how great it looks. I printed out the cover and some of the step by step drawings in color. It took a little time to copy the pics from the web into a graphics program and then crop them and paste them into docs I could print out for the book, but it was worth it. You wouldn’t have to go to all that trouble though to make a great little art book for your kids. Heck, adults would love it too. As a matter of fact, they might even appreciate it more. Also, there are lots of more advanced art instructions online if you know someone who is already an artist. You could do the same thing for different hobbies and interests. You could include articles and motivational stuff too.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Here is an idea I had, but didn’t use. You know those little “chip clips” that they use for potato chip bags? I thought it might be fun to get a small canvas bag and put some clothes pins in it and label the bag as “Joe’s (or whoever) Cheap Chip Clips”.

Another cheap idea I didn’t use was to buy a toilet brush (I found some good ones with wooden handles at Wal Mart) and get a keychain-chain or just some nylon string and put a nice wooden tag on it with “Joe’s Back Scratcher”, and on the flip side put “Please Do Not Use In Toilet”.

Coffee mugs with logo’s of your loved one’s favorite team are a frugal and appreciated gift.

You could write a heart-felt letter expressing how special someone is and how they have inspired you. Then take them to breakfast and read the letter to them. For the cost of a breakfast you’ll create a special memory that will last a lifetime.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

A list of charities
Looks like a good source of info.

Do you guys know how to find people in your own communities who are truly in need? I don’t! I did a few searches and found surprisingly little info. I suspect there are many people out there who really are in need, but would never ask for help. How much would a ham or turkey and a few toys from the goodwill mean to such a person or family? Now THAT’s something worth spending a few dollars on! How about sending a spoiled adolescent who keeps asking for the latest “Whizbang 3000” to deliver it? (Just thinking out loud.)

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
In response to Laurie Is Having Another Great Day~‘s post:

Some REALLY great ideas guys. I love the thought of giving more from the heart and less from the pocket. The idea of spending more time and less money is something I will use this year….
Thanks all.

P.s: love the gift basket idea Laurie – I am gonna do that for my mum – and maybe even my husband…and what the hell, its so much fun, maybe for everyone!

A full and thankful heart..

In response to Godscreation’s post:
Please share your tamale recipe – perhaps on the whats for dinner thread….or a new thread for festive food????
I dont know what they are but I am intrigued by the length of prep involved!!
:O)

A full and thankful heart..

One of the best gifts I have ever gotten was a coupon book, personalized.

Things like I owe you one day from doing the wash. I will wash your car. depending on the age you are dealing with you can come up with some pretty special things. One day of no cooking or you get to pick the dinner or having one do someone else’s choir for the day. It always was so much fun coming up with things that others just take for granted. Giving mom a whole afternoon to do what ever she wants to do. Make it like a coupon book and have fun. Cost just a little time and imagination.

In response to themadcookieman’s post
every year my girl friends and I make reindeer out of candy canes and take them to the children’s part of the hospital. If you are looking to charity families check with your local church, they always know of families that can use help during the holidays. Also check with the salvation army and any thrift stores you might have in town.

Attitude Life Coach, helping others to see the Power of a Positive Attitude with Affirmations and Gratitudes, Learn to be The Creator of Your Life.

Great ideas RW!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Wow!! I loved reading this post. I have enjoyed each one tremendously. It is so heartwarming to see this kind of action going on. The meaning and memories will be so much more cherished. You guys ROCK!!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Rockswealth, your candy cane idea made me think of something to share with you guys. My grandad owned a candy company. Dumas Candy Company in El Dorado, Arkansas. They made candy canes, peanut patties, and coconut bars. They sold it a few years before he died, but at Christmas time every year they actually made baskets out of candy cane, yeah, the whole basket – bowl, and handle. They were big too! I wish I had a picture of one to post.

I did a search and guess what? They are still in business, though not in El Dorado anymore. I found a link Dumas Candy Company

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hi MCM,
People can go down to their local church to ask if there is a family in need. Here in CA they are so many people who are in need. Some families are living in the streets. Most of them go to homeless shelters when there is room.

In response to anoushka’s post:

Here is a video that will show you more or less what’s involved. If you notice other videos there are a few people helping or just two with a lot less amounts to use. Most of my family bailed out on me. So I go it alone because I want to keep up the tradition.

Almost everyone I know prefers to buy them. It just doesn’t seem the same and it reminds me of my mama that’s why I do it. It’s a labor of love. One thing I noticed is they didn’t explain that the skins from the dried chiles must be removed or it can affect your stomach. The chiles are very hot and burn your hands even with gloves on and God forbid you if your eyes start to itch! Most of the explaining was real quick! Different parts of Mexico make tamales in their way. This recipe is basic.

Tamales

I LOOOOOOOVE me some tamales!!! Thanks for the link. Do you have a video that explains step-by-step how to get your sister to cook them FOR you! The music in the vid was really great too!!!

Also, I asked my sister today (she attends church regularly) and she knew of a family that could use some help. I already have something in mind.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

OOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOODNESS….. I left the house today and ventured out into (GASP) shopping centers…. YIKES!!!! What was I thinking???

OK, my family (the ones living at home with me) are not celebrating Christmas with gifts this year because we are making memories on the beaches of Florida instead of materialism.

However, I wanted to get my grand daughter a little gift (she will be two in January). So, I went out shopping…. Excuse me? What economic crisis? Or maybe it is all on credit… at any rate, there were masses of consumers out there today.

So, giving up in dismay… I am not a person who enjoys crowds…

What are some good ideas for a two year old that don’t require malls? I am looking for things that are either educational or meaningful.

Any suggestions????

I had a pencil sketch done of a family member last year from My DaVinci and it turned out great. It is a gift that will stand the test of time.

This is the one I had done from a photo I took. Of course, the final product didn’t have “My DaVinci” on it. This was just the proof they sent. I put it in a nice frame. I think she’ll appreciate it when she grows up.

Ellery

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

That is soooooooooooo cool!! I think I have the perfect photo for it too!! Cookie – You ROCK my world!!

Yet another idea. Find a photo cube (often at resale shops). They are clear acrylic boxes in which you place up to 6 photos. BUT not me. I put pretty scenes, pictures of my garden, etc. in a couple sides but then I put a blank card with headings of Name and Phone # on the other sides and I always put my info. in there. Now, it’s a contact information cube which will never be lost under piles of papers and always easy to spot. Another way to use the cube might be putting in affirmations or positive sayings significant to the the recipient. Elf Jan

Because I have such a large family of siblings there has been arguments over our ancestors pictures. My oldest sister will not let go of them and will not make copies of them either, maybe because of the expense. The ones that are mine I have decided to be make copies from one of the big office supply stores. That way the cost is low because you are not paying for actual negatives and can be copied in color. This was made into xmas gifts.

Along with the photos I have also put in the information on our family name and where it orginiated from. In it are poems and pictures of jobs my parents had. It turned out great and at this age it’s something that can be looked at time and time again and really enjoyed. Plus it gives you an idea what your family was like hundreds of years ago.

If one of you has a scanner it would cost almost nothing, except some time, to scan the pics and upload them to photobucket or flickr or some other photosharing site. Everyone would have access to them that way. Maybe she needs a kick in the butt!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Most of us in our family are computer illiterate. Don’t forget I’m almost 60 just know a little about the computer! My siblings are much older than me and don’t have computers. Maybe I’ll kick her butt instead! (:

If you want me to I’ll walk you through how to upload pictures to something like flickr. I’m confident you could do it, it’d probably give you a sense of accomplishment to tackle something like that. Let me know and I’ll pm you. You’d need a scanner, I’m sure you can get one pretty cheap these days. Too bad you don’t live near me, I have an extra one you could have. If you have a usb port on your computer, it’ll be easy to hook one up.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I know some people are very protective of their recipes, but as a gift idea, make the cake or jam, slice, preserves, biscuits etc, and also include the recipe as part of the gift. Wrap it up in a nice teatowel they would want to keep.
Fill a flower pot with soil & spring bulbs that will flower with time, even better if you can dig some up from your garden.
Make a slideshow of photos you might have of that person, and put on a USB stick for them to keep, or print them, nothing like real photos in an album.
Merry Christmas to you all!!!!!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

Great Ideas!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

“The greatest gift is a portion of thyself.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m preaching to my family a lot about these things this year.

1) Christmas isn’t just a day. It’s the whole season. So let’s make the whole season enjoyable for each other, not just that day.

2) Generosity is not just what you gift wrap. Be generous with your thoughts and words. Be generous with your attention, not just your time — aim for one minute of true connection with a loved one.

OK I’m done. Love to all my bmindful friends!

In response to AccidentalNote’s post:
Love all you said! Love right back to you and your loving family(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Super ideas going on here!!!! I often print out my own gift certificates for the following.

Dinner on me (I’ll cook it)

A free baby sitter for one night (I’ll sit)

A free massage…

A free car wash

I think you get my drift!
Just when I’m looking forward to having a quiet weekend, my daughter springs the coupon on me for a free night of baby sitting! :)

For small children, I suggest that we as parents don’t start making such a big deal of the toys at Christmas…Children grow to expect lots of toys if they are introduced to this when they are young. I’ve personally already spoiled my children and grandchildren with this expectation, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t put so much interest in the material things. Perhaps good inexpensive, yet character building, gifts for children might be:

1. Puzzles, (puzzles can be made from family pictures blown up and pasted on card board, then cut into puzzle pieces)

2. Hand made blankets

3. Hand made puppets

4. Hand made waggon, with the child’s name painted on the sides

5. Tie dyed or hand paintd tee shirts (teens love tie dyed items)

5. Baskets with a few items the child has interests in. (adults like baskets too)

Blessings to all!

C.

I like the idea of baskets filled with special gift items. It can be homemade cookies, 99cents items. I especially like the affirmation cube, good one and inexpensive. I have done the special letters and family really appreciates that gesture.

Christmas will be here before you know it! I had an idea I wanted to share for neat, personal Christmas gifts.

Get a classic book, or any book, new or used and make a custom book out of it for someone. I was looking into creating sort of a tradition for my niece of giving her a great book every year. Well, books can get pretty pricey pretty quick so I did a little surfing and found lots of videos and articles that show you how you can make a custom cover for a book. It can be done easily or elaborately, but the thing is it can be done. You can make custom covers for hardback books, but you can also turn a paperback book into a hardback book pretty easily. What a neat way to personalize a gift. I even found a video on youtube that shows you how to make and bind your own journal. Wouldn’t that add a whole new level of appreciation for your journal? Anyway, I’m going to start keeping my eye peeled for some classics that I can personalize and turn into hard cover books for myself and for gifts. I think I’ll make my niece a one of a kind Charlotte’s Web for this Christmas. Wouldn’t that make a wonderful tradition to start for a child?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Another easy thing you could do would be to personalize (almost anything really) a tv tray or a breakfast tray. A couple of years ago I printed up a bunch of great quotes with all kinds of neat fonts on different colors of paper and glued them to the tops of my tv trays. I painted the tops first, glued down the quotes and then covered it with polyurethane. You may could do the same with lacquer, but I’m not sure. Lacquer would dry faster, but I don’t know if it is durable enough. Anyway, just another idea. You can find pics of the tv trays I did here on bmindful somewhere.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content