login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Developing a Routine

… So many reasons to develop some habits in life. One important one for me, is the more new things I take on, the more room needed, toward promoting and enhancing things new to myself. So keeping important efforts in place is a prime factor (ie routine).

Though, this is a good topic to discuss with our community…to better process/reinforce what works for us…and to learn from others(:

What kind of things do you do to assure things happen regularly…and create the ease that works for you?

process-steps PDF www.studenthandouts.com

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Perfect thread for me to come back to after the weekend away!

It is my absolute routine to read the posts and messages on bmindful at the start of my working day.
This gives me the right frame of mind to tackle the day ahead. Keeps me calm, humble and ‘right-sized’. Its like opening your favourite self-help or spiritual book at any page and the answers just leap out at you! That’s what coming on here does.

Not only does that daily bmindful ‘fix’ get me prepared for the day, but throughout the day its a great way to pull me back down to earth and read about stuff that really matters – particularly when work gets higher paced. I often need, times like this to rechannel my energy, read an old thread that gives me hope, read the new ones to catch up with where my bmindful buddies are at, and generally re-connect with my kinda people!!!

Bmindful has been a part of my routine since I found it and it has helped me manifest many little miracles in my life. The simple sharing of positive energy is such a life-giving force!!

A full and thankful heart..

Routine has always been a nasty word in my vocabulary because I like to think of myself as a free-spirit. However, children, school, work and life in general forces me to focus and create routines.

For me, in order to get to a routine and stick to it, I have to write. Personally, I like to organize myself in my head and then put it to paper.

An example is: Goal – I want to lose ten pounds of fat and gain 2 pounds of muscle in 60 Days.

Rationalization – A safe amount of weight to lose is 1 – 2 pounds a week. How can I accomplish this? Change my eating habits & move my body.

Contemplate – What new routines will change my eating habits & move my body? Meal planning, grocery lists, going to the gym.

Commitment – I will work out at the gym at 8:00am each day Monday thru Saturday for one hour to move my body. I will plan and shop for my weeks worth of meals on Sunday afternoon.

Action – Follow through with my commitments.

Reward – Choose manageable chunks and reward myself – at 5 pounds loss, get one hour massage at spa… etc.

For a new routine – the first step is always the hardest. But, it only takes 21 days to reinforce a new habit. :)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

routine for me is very important. I can do any amount of work if I am made aware of it well in advance. For me surprises are not always welcome. When something is pre=planned then it becomes easier for my mind to process it and plan for it. Execution is always simple.
Just like MM I too like to write down my goals, but tehy may be as simple as what to do tomorrow! Writing down makes it easier to achieve.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

In response to SONIA’s post:
In response to meditatingmama’s post:
In response to anoushka’s post:
I hope you all continue to write here-> I love your posts!

MM -love the way you plan(: I understand the free spirit concept. I remember the days my lists were so basic lol(:

Though I have found for today…the more I plan the more opportunity I have to free myself up and be a free spirit.

If I don’t plan my world ‘a bit’, my world has had a tendency to plan me(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I actually forgot to mention part of my routine that is so embedded in me – PRAYER.

My rather unorthodox way of talking to God and listening to God (meditation) comes to me sporadically throughout the day – but somehow is a routine, because it happens daily.

Its routine for me to start the day and end the day with gratitude, thanksgiving and sometimes just to check in (or out)…. It is an absolute routine to pray as and when I feel it necessary….

- or perhaps its a survival instinct???
We have a human need to take care of ourselves eg. moving our hand away from something scalding hot, or moving away from a flying object!..etc,
For me taking care of myself is making sure I am protected, so it is an instinct for me to protect myself, to look after myself and therefore to pray.

I think it must also be a routine of mine to extrude my muddled thoughts and ramble a bit from time to time!!! LOL!

A full and thankful heart..

In response to anoushka’s post:
I have to agree with you Anoushka, prayer and self talk is #1 toward a joyous and wonderful life.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I was talking with another bmindfuler the other day about habits. We have all read that it takes two to three weeks to develop a new habit, well, I’ve recently read some things that have changed my thinking on this topic. My new thinking is along this line: It takes two to three weeks to prepare yourself for the creation of a new habit. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it takes that long to convince your mind and body that you are serious about making a change. It takes about six months for the new habit to really become a part of you. Your physiology literally changes after about six months of using a new habit. You brain literally changes by creating new pathways. What was once “difficult” (exercising daily for example) is no longer difficult. It is actually your new “normal”. It can actually become pleasurable. There is no longer any “effort” involved, you just do it.

Now, knowing that, why haven’t I developed all these great new habits. Well, I just learned this. It’s a new tool for the toolbox.

I keep thinking that one day, one day I’m finally gonna’ get it all down.

Here are the things I’d like to become more routine for me: Using the 80/20 rule. Building my vocabulary. Regular meditation. Reading a lot. Learning to listen and communicate better. Spending more time with my journal and fleshing out ideas. Spending more time with music – listening and learning. Becoming a better musician and singer. Improving my voice. Engaging in more real conversations. Talking to myself in the mirror more often. Eliminating negative speech from my language. Writing out affirmations. Listening to my sleep tapes. All of these things are haphazard now – how great would it be if they were all real daily habits. Real habits that came naturally. Having said all that – it takes time. It takes work. The mind can only focus on so many things at once. Knowing this is valuable. I have a tendency, ( one of my less destructive “bad” habits ) of trying to gather TOO much information before I act. I’m aware of that now, so I am better at keeping that habit in check. Just being aware of stuff is really helpful. (This would be a good place to put a link to stuff about Ego, anyone, anyone?) Still, I keep picking up new books. I have more than I can read now, yet, I keep picking up new ones. It keeps me from being as productive as I could be. It literally hinders me in the attainment of goals. I know, I know, we could have a long discussion about the last couple of sentences, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, it’s been a while since I rambled on so long here on bmindful. Feels a little theraputic. I’ll wrap up this wacky post with this.

Something that I miss is discussing important things with friends. I’m far more isolated than I used to be. I think of Ben Franklin, he used to get together with his friends regularly and really discuss stuff and develop ideas. That’s something that’s been missing in my life lately. Bmindful is great, but I miss the real face to face with smart, positive people.

Don’t know why I felt like sharing that last bit, but there ya’ have it.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I read an interesting piece of information yesterday that exercise does wonderful things for the brain, the chemicals released & blood circulation from say 30 mins cardio will produce new connections & new cells in the brain, the memory part. Not only slows the ageing process but reverses it! Another good reason to get exercise into my routine. And the effects come within an hour, ever notice how sharp you are after a good workout? So for me, exercise first, then I will have the brain power and clarity to tackle many more things.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi exercises daily!‘s post:
so agree.

listened to something tonight on laziness…that it is human nature to want to take short cuts. Basically it said ..that’s fine when the short cuts lead to saving money and time.

Though what I surmised-> often we become cut happy until we cut out essential parts of a routine that need to be repeated to create discipline, and progression in whatever it is we’re trying to accomplish.

It discussed the element of time and energy..(and because we always assume we won’t have enough of either), we do less and less instead of building of momentum to “go for it”.

I felt jolted being reminded of this. It seems most people I listen to these days are always looking for the easy way out..and on some level some of that “noise” was rubbing off at me..and I couldn’t figure out why my motivation was “different”

I hear people say things like:

-I ‘m not going to learn such and such because we won’t be responsible for that (on the job or on an exam)

-I’m not going to plan for consequences because I don’t like to think negatively

- I’m not going to work out this week because I’ll do a little movin’ around doing some work around the house

list goes on..with rationale.

Now I remember why I make detailed lists..and rarely show my plans to others..

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie- worksout-daily&w/everything she’s got~ ~‘s post:
Absolutely true Laurie.
Its amazing how short cuts have come to dominate our lives!
By setting routine I feel I can avoid being pushed around. When I know the tasks I have to accomplish for the day/period I can gauge my progress time time and also plan according to my needs.
Some times the downfall of routines is that they tie you down. When something really exciting comes up the routine does interfare in its enjoyment. But this is life and I take it as it comes while trying to maintain a sense of direction by setting goals and routines.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

In response to SONIA’s post:
I guess the ticket to that is some flexibility…Though, as I recently realized not too much flexibility(: Because before ya know it..the routine becomes diminished.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Developing Routines are very important

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Terrell Owens, the author of T.O.’s Finding Fitness (Copyright © 2008 by Terrell Owens Enterprises), is a perennial all-pro receiver. In 2005 he became only the sixth receiver in NFL history with 100 touchdown receptions. His reality series, The T.O. Show, airs on VH1. Terrell
currently plays for the Buffalo Bills.
Steps to Finding Fitness

• Identify which mental challenges have been holding you back from discovering your true path to fitness.
  • Write them down and use them as your mental playbook for conquering your fitness goals.

Spend ten days before you begin a new program mentally preparing yourself for your workout
  • Make the decision that no matter where you start, you will make the commitment to stay with your program for at least two weeks straight.
  • Allow your body to dictate your progress. Do not focus on what others are doing. Stay the course, maintain your own flow. This is about your lifestyle, and it will take time to create.
  • Lose the rules. Fitness shouldn’t be about rules; it should be about using your natural tools (mind, body, and spirit) to create the energy and space in which you want to live. When you can truly say you’re comfortable in your own skin and with yourself, you have succeeded in finding fitness.
  • Create an atmosphere of confidence. Take time to really get to know what you like and dislike about working out. Some people enjoy working out at the gym. Others prefer to stay home and work out alone. For some, a one-on-one program with a trainer may be best. There is no right or wrong; you can and will get results lifting weights, doing pilates at home, or using my personal gym system.
  • What you do and where you do it is determined by your schedule, your current lifestyle, your strengths and weaknesses, and your goals.
  • It’s more important for you to change your mind and your thinking about what it takes to be fit than to focus on the hows, whys, whens, and wheres of how you’re going to do it.
  • Making the decision to live a lifestyle geared to fitness is the most important step you will take toward achieving your goals.
  • Now that you’re mentally strong, let’s get down to what’s real. No matter where you start or stop, you’re already a winner.

• One final thought: I want you to understand that the reason my body can withstand the damage that can be done in the NFL, and the reason I’ve managed to come back from what other people would consider career-ending injuries, is that I believe in focusing in strengthening and developing the core — that is, working muscles from the inside out rather than focusing on the superficial (surface) muscles.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m glad you brought this thread back. Something I did recently was to write out my ideal of a daily “wake-up” routine. You could use this idea to create your own “ideal day”. We all know how easy it is to be lazy about incorporating ideas into our lives, but just the act of writing something like this for yourself will put you one step closer to achieving it.
———————————————————————————————————-
My ideal wake-up routine is about an hour and a half and goes something like this:
———————————————————————————————————-
I wake up after a refreshing five to eight hours of sleep.

I remain quiet for a couple of minutes listening to my sleep tape affirmations. (About 2 minutes)

I sit up and turn off my cd player. (2 Seconds)

I say a quick prayer for my friends or anyone else who crosses my mind and give thanks for the many blessings in my life. (About 2 Minutes)

I grab my notepad from my bedside table and read off the things I’m going to get done. I’m going to remind myself to make sure I get the “least palatable” things done first if I can. (About 1 Minute)

I make my way to the bathroom and brush my teeth. (About 3 Minutes)

After I brush my teeth I have a nice, loving little conversation with myself in the mirror and discuss my plans for the day and anything else I want to talk about. (About 3 Minutes)

I throw on something comfortable and grab my vocabulary for the day. (You do have a stack of vocabulary words at the ready, don’t you?) (About 3 Minutes)

I go for a quick little walk around the block or a short bike ride to get my heart going and rev up my metabolism a little. The important thing is to get a little exercise. I personally think a little variety is good. Also it’s important that it is something you enjoy doing, at the very least is has to be something you don’t “hate” doing. Maybe something like Monday – Walk, Tuesday – Stretching, Wednesday – Workout Video, Thursday – Yoga, Friday – Bike Ride. This is great quiet time. I can think about whatever I want and I can learn a new word. (About 20 Minutes)

When I get back I put on some music if I’m in the mood.I shower and shave and dry my hair. (About 15 Minutes)

I lounge around peacefully and fix a small light breakfast of fruit and a very small bowl of cereal. (About 10 Minutes)

After I eat I very intentionally take two to five minutes to sit quietly and just visualize the life I want to have. After my short visualization I sit quietly for another five to ten minutes and just be. (15 Minutes Max)

Now, I’m ready to begin my day! And what an amazing day it is going to be!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I went ahead a wrote this out for you guys as kind of a guide.
—————————————————————————————————
After Work Routine

Before you retire to your bedroom (your sanctuary) in the evening.
Get out of the “mind-killing television habit”. Relaxing is important and there’s nothing wrong with watching television, just don’t let it become the center of your free time. Pick a few shows you enjoy and eliminate the rest. DVR your favorites so they are ready for you when you are ready to watch them. I LOVE skipping commercials. Some evenings go out to a movie or a restaurant or visit with a friend. Fix an enjoyable dinner. Check your favorite websites. (Don’t get sucked in to the internet, it can be very useful and it can also be very addictive!) There are LOTS of things you can do after work. (It is also important to know how and when to say “no” to stuff.) With just a little effort you can take care of the “want too’s and the have too’s” and still have time for the “need too’s”. The “want too’s” are family things, social things, community things. The “have too’s” are laundry, bills, home and car maintenance, and stuff like that. The “need too’s” are the things you have to do for yourself like quiet time, journaling, affirmations and planning.
————————————————————————————————————-
Sanctuary

Okay, now for the real shut down part. You even get to include a little extra t.v. here if you want. These things are more fluid than my wake-up routine. The time will vary from day to day. Anywhere from one to three hours depending on what I do. If you are going to watch a movie in your sanctuary before you go to sleep, be sure to allow for that. Your minimum “need to” stuff is going to take 30 minutes at the very least. If you need to be asleep by midnight and you want to watch a two hour movie you are going to have to be in your sanctuary by 9:30!

Go to bedroom and leave the world behind. I think it would be useful to get into the habit of thinking of your bedroom and bathroom as your personal sanctuary.

Quiet time. (10 to 20 Minutes)
(10 Minutes Minium – Always Do!)

Journal. (10 to 30 Minutes)
(10 Minutes Minimum – Always Do!)

Affirmations. Write them out and read them aloud as you do them.
(10 Minutes – Always Do!.)

Planning. List the things you are going to do tomorrow. Review short and long term goals. (5 Minutes to 1 Hour)
(5 Minutes Minimum – Always Do!)

Reading, Music, T.V. or Other entertainment. (1 to 2 Hours)(Optional)
Have a few uplifting movies available. Record some stuff from the History or Science channels. Watch an educational video. Have some favorite cd’s available. Listen to some NEW music. Listen to some African music, listen to some Country and Western, listen to some Celtic music. Expand your horizons. Have some worthwhile reading material available – a classic novel or something educational that you are genuinely interested in. It is good for you to read a wide variety of things, expand your thinking. Read some biographies. Read a book on science or math. Read a book on politics or history. Read a book about cooking or wine. Read a book about a foreign country. Read a book about your state history. Read the U.S. Constitution. Read a book about the Civil War, or the American Indians, or the Egyptians, or…

Always remember to turn on your affirmation cd before you go to sleep.
———————————————————————————————————
These are just my thoughts on some ideal routines. I rarely do all of this, but know it would be great if I did. I am far from perfect, but, hey, I’m tryin’! I’m not married, but even if I were, or was just living with someone, I’d make it a point to talk over this stuff with them.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I used to have a good routine printed out and now I can’t find it. I’m glad I posted this on bmindful. Since I found it I thought I’d bring it up to the top.

And I want to be sure and add this link. Wheel of Life

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I really need routines ,have none really

Being, Mood and Action Oriented Videos

post with related videos

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

tai chi tai chi viewed in a nature setting
adds a little chi just by viewing
the natural elements,water trees plants
and so on.

“To boldly and or vulnerably go where no one has gone before”

here’s a link I enjoyed
7-habits-how-to-be-more-mindful/

• Everything starts with a thought
    Habits does re-structure your brain! So again. Be mindful about it.
    Morning state–open your eyes, be thankful
    to read more

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Lake Placid’s post:
nice Lake Placid. Thanks for sharing it here(:

there are really some wonderful posts on this thread-glancing over…I appreciated reading(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

thread originally created in 2009-2016

looking forward to reading posts again here.

looks like inspiration to me!

For this moment-my idea of routine

is the creation of allowing the foundation of what truly matters to me.

When the foundation works -all seems to be nourished so well.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content