login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Pay it Forward...

Today while shopping, I found a bin full of very ripe bananas on clearance. I hate wasted food, especially in times like these when others are really suffering.

I was inspired and wanted to share with you what I hope you to pass on to others…

Why not buy those bananas and make some banana bread for others who are having a hard time???

Is there someone that you can pay forward? My first two loaves are actually being given to my mail lady and my UPS man. These two are always friendly and going above and beyond what they could do in order to be of service. I’m thinking of dropping off the rest to the Senior Citizens Center. But, there are lots of people who would benefit.

Wouldn’t it be cool if we started a “chain” of giving to others?

Here is my recipe for “Pay it Forward Banana Bread”:

Ingredients:

1 TBS Butter
1 Apple (I used Pink Lady)
1 Tsp Cinnamon / Sugar Mixture (like you sprinkle on toast)

3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2 medium mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preparation:

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9 × 5 or 8 × 4 inch loaf pan.

Peel apple and slice into thin slices (like for pie). In a skillet, melt 1 TBSP butter, add the apple slices and sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar. Fry until the apples are nice and soft. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs; blend in bananas, milk, and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add to creamed mixture, stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour HALF of mixture into prepared pan. Then, add layer the apple mixture on top. Pour the remaining batter on top and bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Place on wire rack and cool completely. Wrap and give to the person you would like to Pay it Forward!! :)

Makes one loaf.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
That sounds like a big warm hug, thanks for sharing your recipe, I like the sound of the added apple layer. I hate to waste food too, I always freeze the bananas if they come home uneaten in the school lunch box, to save up for a banana receipe like pancakes or muffins. I’m going to try your bread.

That is such a nice thing to do, and you are so busy, what an inspiration you are MM.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

Hi MM

Just wanted to say I made your banana bread today and it was delicious. I had to make a trial for my family first, it’s so quick to make. I haven’t been around my dear family as much as I’d like so it’s nice to bake for them. I was going to catch up on work but decided my health would improve by staying at home and having a peaceful day. I also made pumpkin risotto which my kids really love. So even though I’m not home this evening I know they are happy eating yummy risotto and banana bread all the way from Kansas :)

I think I’ll give away my first loaf to the staff at my local library that I appreciate so much, might help rid the guilt of those overdue books I found under the kids beds today!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
In response to Vivi exercises daily!‘s post:
Hey this is my kind of thread!
Absolutely inspired MM and well done Vivi for using that inspiration. I would have missed this thread had you not re-posted on it. Due to the time differences I often miss threads that are not on the ‘recent posts’ list – (I must remember to check out my favorite people’s last posts!!)

I hate wasting food so much that I get very excited by using up things before they go bad to make something lovely.

The other day I had loads of plums, given by my mum that I couldnt say no to, but also knew I wouldnt be able to eat all of….

So I made a plum and ginger crumble

Cooked the plums with a bit of brown sugar and spice and topped with a mixture of a crunchy oat cereal I had lying around and some ginger shortbread (also a pressie from my mum).

Giving back a yummy dessert like that is so much nicer than saying – ‘here have some plums I cant eat them all!!!’

We ate it with custard and it was yummy in this cold winter weather here n the uk! It fed 6 people easily – but we just ended up eating second helpings!!!

A full and thankful heart..

That sounds delicious Anoushka, I love ginger, I love shortbread!

You ever make the french dessert claufortis? Your plums reminded me of it. The easiest dessert to make with plums, peaches, apples, cherries etc. It’s kind of like a baked custard, serve you well for the upcoming winter.

In response to Vivi exercises daily!‘s post:
Yes I have heard of it, but havent made it since I was a kid. I do remember it being simple and yummy….Oh Vivi! Its only 09.30 and I am already thinking of banana bread, clafoutis, crumble and custard!!!
LOL! ;o)

A full and thankful heart..

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content