login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★When Affirmations Fail

I want to discuss Interrogative Affirmations ‘cause I believe that the “typical” type of affirmation, – like one that says “I am my ideal weight”, for example – can be a problem for some people. Why do I think that? Let’s say a person who is a hundred pounds over their ideal weight. When that person hears, I believe even subconsciously, that they are at their ideal weight and they know for a fact that that is not a true statement, then I think the mind rejects the statement as false. I believe it is more effective to make true statements that are positive, or even in a positive “direction” that the mind doesn’t have to reject. A red flag flies, I believe, when we present our mind with a statement we know is false, but, if we are careful we can write affirmations that always get the green light. I think that they can be more effective, especially for severly depressed people. A severly depressed person’s mind might well reject “Every day in every way I am getting better and better”, but, an affirmation like “I am taking step to improve my life” would be true and not rejected, ‘cause, after all, if they are doing affirmations, then, it is indeed a true statement even if they still feel bad. Interrogative affirmations can also get around mental rejections. An interrogative affirmation is really just a question of some sort. I’ll add more later, but, maybe some of you would like to comment.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Here are some links that are well worth reading. It could help you write affirmations that bring better results for you. (I am not crazy about the titles of the articles ‘cause they could easily steer people away from using affirmations.)

Why Positive Affirmations Don’t Work

Here is another article with the same title Why Positive Affirmations Don’t Work

Why Positive Affirmations Don’t Always Work

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hey thanks for bringing light to the article, what it says makes a lot of sense and i definitely see affirmations such as “I am my ideal weight” used a lot.

Hopefully more awareness of these kind of negative affirmations will help others make more progress and i’ll definitely be checking my own affirmations for mistakes like these :-)

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:
In response to bunique’s post:
Great thread SRWE!

Hi Bunique glad to see you visiting the discussion too!

You know Bunique when you mentioned making progress with affirmations, it reminded me of the thread entitled progressive affirmations. (thread pertains to working your affirmations where you are)

And I too believe it would be a mistake to leap to thoughts and feelings that feel way too incredible! Some days we are feeling a bit incredible and delight in that, and some days- with some areas …we need to choose, allow and decide.

Btw, Bunique I really like your latest affirmation on meditation for myself. your affirmation using I’ve decided I never thought of beginning an affirmation that way, and I have thousands!(:

Creating affirmations to me, sometimes feels like choosing music I want to listen to. I want certain rhythms to meet me where I am and gradually up a notch or 2 as I become ready.

Once again SRWE, this is truly an awesome thread! I want to return to this one-for sure!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I agree that “I have decided” is a great beginning for an affirmation.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Another great word is “because”. I have decided “_______” because “__________”.

I remember reading a very good book called “Influence”. It says that when you make a request of someone it is usually worthwhile to add a “because” at the end of the request. If you do, you are more likely to get a yes response to your request. For example, you are waiting in line, and you really and truly are in a hurry. You could say “Do you mind if I go ahead of you”, but, if, instead you say “Do you mind if I go ahead of you because ___________ (I have to pick my child up in ten minutes at school) or something, then you are more likely to get a positive response. This could work to re-enforce the reasoning behind whatever decision you have made.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Like that Jeff about requesting. I’ve always liked politeness with self & others. This is very appealing!
…happened to pass by book store… briefly… came across books that sounded like the book you mentioned with Influence mostly in the title, and couldn’t be sure if it was the 1 you referred to. Who was the author? I’d be interested in it to see the more of the energy of the topic. Usually when you hear about influence it seems to have a negative connotation… “how we are led astray”-types of books… Or “the energy of simply getting others to do what you want” … Its good to not only speak from ones heart, though with kindness… be understood (even better). It has been said, we are only responsible for what we say, not how we are understood; though it is good to have better tools. Thanks for this one… (beauty of requesting)!(:
(for the sake of clarity)(: I am interested in these ideas especially because (:
1.I am interested in this when interacting with others… its good to be heard lovingly with our true intentions…and not just delivering words as they come to mind…
2. (with regard to topic of thread) interested in getting myself to hear me (even) better (when possible-with self talk)
many thanks

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Influence by Robert Cialdini. Good read. Lots of good info. Includes stuff about how we can be manipulated, by companies, charities, politicians, also, talks about how people can re-enforce false beliefs another other worthwhile topics. Not a bunch of fluff, but, useful information.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

thanks for this review of book, I will take a look !

And also like the inclusion of the because .

10-11-16
I will try one. Today is a beautiful day because it is what God intended.

I like it!

6/21/17

works great  for intentions too!

i-intend-to1.png

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm's post:

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm's post:

→   And as I start my morning I will be right where I need to be because I can and its desirable. 

→   My smile is beautiful because it radiates with natural joy

→   I feel accomplished because I am led by my authentic self.

→   I am worthy of a high income because I am highly intelligent, energetic and very entrepreneurial.

→   I love my life because I live it with ease and with ease I can have, be or do anything.   →   I celebrate everything I do because it always creates more of what I desire.

→   I Am always enjoying and that's great because it makes doing daily tasks so much fun!  →   I look forward to cleaning,organizing and decorating my home because doing so adds to the environment I love so very much!

→   I allow myself to trust Life because I trust my Creator who only creates masterpieces!  →   I access spiritual solutions because I know they exist.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content