login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★What IS... being

Totally serious question.

What does it mean to “be”? What does it mean to “be mindful”. How does “being” relate to time and space, but, especially what does it mean with regard to time? Can we be thinking of the future or past and still “be” in the present moment mindfully?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Enjoying this question…!

My first thought, in response to your question is: our minds are so fast, and so in to the act of creation… thats it almost impossible to stop being part of our act of creation…

Really great question!!!

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

Another perspective is that we are all familiar with the distinction of “doing” vs “being”…

So, if we are committed to the BEING peaceful, being fulfilled, being in our highest good, and in our flow, we can still create whatever intention we wish.

We can create and release, we can surrender, we can be open to abundance and Love, we can be committed to healing or restoring civil justice and still “BE”.

To me, we can “BE”, and still be in action. The difference, is where we are coming from. WE can come from the place of our highest good, or the center of our joy.

We can still sow seed of faith and abundance, while BEING one, being peace…

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.

In response to Kathi’s post:
we are all familiar with the distinction of “doing” vs “being”…

Do you think that sometimes “doing and being” are intertwined and part of each other and sometimes ( a lot of the time for most people ) we are just “doing” in a way that is not “being”.

And does sometimes “being present” mean “being ALMOST present” in the sense that we are focused on the immediate to the degree that we are one with that moment, but, can’t that moment extend just a bit ahead of us and still be “in the moment, or present”.

Think about a man cutting wood with an axe. He is focused on what he is doing, but, at the same time his mind, while still present, is just ahead of his action.

And sometimes, we can be “in the moment”, but, we are in the “present moment” because of the moment that just passed. This may be a small meaningless point, but, I’d like to have an answer to what it meant “to be”. To me, I think, “to be” means to be “in the moment and present”, but, that moment can extend just a bit ahead of us and behind us in time. In the flow, in a “being bubble” of time.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Kinda like this

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

No, I think these are powerful questions that point us to focus on that one small space, that pause —- and that pause, what is behind it, is the space where we could access our vastness.

I believe that we are more than our thoughts. We are more than what we do. We are greater than the sum of our parts. We are Life. We do not go out of existence. Our bodies die. Birth and death are opposites, but there is no opposite to Life. And our consciousness goes on to other planes, where we exist, perhaps in planes that exceed our language.

I believe that this thread is very synchronous with this weeks Happiness meeting, and I hope that you join us in the inner exploration.

I think that this is a great topic to consider. I would love to explore this in depth.

And sometimes, we can be “in the moment”, but, we are in the “present moment” because of the moment that just passed. This may be a small meaningless point, but, I’d like to have an answer to what it meant “to be”. To me, I think, “to be” means to be “in the moment and present”, but, that moment can extend just a bit ahead of us and behind us in time. In the flow, in a “being bubble” of time.

sometimes I believe we can create a fresh new moment… being less influenced by earlier perceptions…detached… to encounter something new…for its newness

other times we can feel past present future-to encounter a big picture position… past[motivations] present-[action/being] future[-aspirations]

and when we surrender… to a Higher Power… we give up our perceptions… to encounter an even greater… connection without being overly connected to things…less of our stories…and more of a thread through it all bringing pieces of what we need when we need it…for the most people, longest period of time->greater good

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

i like what you guys wrote, especially – the space where we could access our vastness – and – a thread through it.

maybe we could say that “being in the moment” is different than say, a pair of socks being “in” a drawer, but, more like being in the moment is like having the objective physical world fall away and we become more at one with the nonphysical or “source” if you will, that is we are more at one with everything (unlike the pair of socks that are simply in a drawer, a physical thing literally insider another physical thing ) and when we are in such a state we don’t even have to TRY to focus, we simply DO focus. I just thought of Yoda. “Do, or do not, there is no try”. We don’t have to TRY when we are in the moment, ‘cause TRYING isn’t even necessary in such a state. Almost like a magical being who simply calls into existence what he wants and has no need to think. I know that is kind of out there stuff, I’m just thinking out loud with my fingers.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

While I’m all for digging in what I’ve learned on my journey/experiences and sharing well… though I couldn’t help but wanting to contribute some excerpts by Joseph Naft, in which I’m a big fan(:
• ~ ~ ~
Being Your Mind From our mind we can see. This means perceiving, cognizing without the intermediary of thoughts commenting, categorizing and interpreting what we see. We just see directly, without filters. This is not some esoteric magic reserved for the special few. We all have moments of direct seeing, every day. We just need to start noticing those moments, noticing how they are qualitatively different than the perceptions that get interfered with and redirected by our thoughts. Once this becomes clear to us, thoughts no longer spoil our direct seeing. The thoughts may be there, but like small clouds they do not obscure the vast, cognitive sky of our mind. Our thoughts no longer define our mind, rather our mind contains and sees them.
For this week, be your mind. to read this lesson in its entirety-read hereCopyright © 2001 – 2014 Joseph Naft. All rights reserved.
• ~ ~ ~
Being Your Heart Every thought feeds the emotion. Our body dumps stress molecules into our bloodstream. Our breathing changes to support the emotion. Our posture adapts to express the emotion. And we are not there. We do not exist in those moments. Only the emotion does.
When we notice one of these destructive emotions get triggered in us and begin gathering steam, a short window of choice opens up. If we ignore it, if we fail to choose, the default option has us falling headlong into the emotional storm, be it mild or severe.
But that window of choice presents another possibility: we have a chance to change our attitude toward the situation. Sometimes that’s all it takes. We simply say to ourselves “I’m not going with this now,” and it stops. But more often that kind of direct confrontation with our inner state does not work, because a real change of attitude requires forgiveness, tolerance, letting go, courage, fortitude, acceptance, or love 

to read lesson in its entirety 
Copyright © 2001 – 2014 Joseph Naft. All rights reserved.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

enjoyed… that SRWE… “Do, or do not, there is no try”. We don’t have to TRY when we are in the moment, ‘cause TRYING isn’t even necessary in such a state. Almost like a magical being who simply calls into existence what he wants and has no need to think.

It’s not out there…it’s right here & now…being(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Related image

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content