login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★A Virtuous Life for a Fulfilling Life

What is a virtue?
How many virtues are there?
Does being virtuous matter?
If it does, then how does it matter?
Is it something worth thinking about?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:

Great thread; great question…

I had to google and review a few different definitions before commenting!!

There are 7 virtues and 7 vices.

They are further distinguished as the following:
3 Spiritual virtues: 1. Faith 2. Hope 3. Charity

4 Cardinal virtues: 1. Prudence 2. Temperance 3. Fortitude 4. Justice

7 Deadly Sins:

3 Spiritual Sins 1. Pride 2. Envy 3. Wrath

4 Corporal Sins 1. Sloth 2. Greed 3. Gluttony 4. Lust

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

Does being virtuous matter?

Virtues are really about one’s character. Moral and ethical development starts in early childhood. Its one of the ways that parents shape and mold the hearts and minds of their young, by teaching them fortitude, courage, honor, integrity, kindness, humility, justice, goodness and forbearance, against which there is no law.

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm’s post:
In response to Kathi’s post
there are some awesome things on the internet pertaining to virtues, I will comment using my own words too…when I have more focused thought. Though off the top …once again, thanks for the topic! Love the interaction I know will exist here(:

In response to Kathi’s post:
Virtues are really about one’s character. yes!!!

In response to Kathi’s post:
I always wanted to know more about the list you’ve shared! Thanks for your post! It led to my finding this: good ol’ wikipedia

Yup, I knew it, this is going to be an awesome thread! appreciative! How many virtues are there? looking for a particular site… and will find eventually…though for now came up with extensive list 100 virtues -the gift of character…. I wouldn’t have foreseen this type of list if I hadn’t done a bit of checking when studying an area which connected with this…in the past
virtues project 100 virtues -the gift of character

will return… prepping for work day now(:

found this (good ol’google-not sure about you guys-though google was down for people in my area the other day) ): … going to cut and paste from a site, because it seemed to have some warnings for visiting…so I’ll just quote, rather than link…until I understand better/ anyway I found it very interesting: entitled … The Virtues short excerpt
Virtues come in pairs which are complimentary to each other: the opposite of a virtue is always another virtue. If we internally prefer one virtue to its opposite partner, it becomes over extended and imbalanced whilst its partner becomes weak and stunted.

will add links to more…when I discovery safety of visiting site…because it has lots!
virtuescience.com

go to top of page of this link and find virtues ….under that you’ll see definitions
Hold your cursor over each virtue to see a brief definition.

Defining the Virtues
from virtuesproject.org

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Is it something worth thinking about?
Yes! Absolutely! loving the possibilities of this!
Hi again guys! this is the site I was originally looking for!!

FAQ frequently asked questions

When researching Positive Psychology at one time , [a favorite area of mine] , I came across this site, and like it very much! www.viacharacter.org
check out the site
for example- courage
in the video on that site- stated…once you are introduced to a character strength -never look at it the same way…
an interesting looking book
strengths-virtues
not only is this an awesome topic…I am so excited about this thread because: we were not interacting as community/adding toward discussion for awhile… (except in our Happiness mtgs.), and this is so cool…. OK I’ll calm down now(: (please excuse my enthusiasm… sharing my natural enthusiasm openly is part of my building my character strength of courage) (:

haven’t had a chance to get back to this thread, or shaping up above links shared…though here is a pdf you may like(:

pdf the gifts within

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content