login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★The Shadow self

I was inspired by Lee’s post on the thread about music that makes you feel good – in particular:

Tool- 46 & 2

It took me back to my college days when I read a lot of Jung and his archetypal theories. However, back then, in my ‘youth’ I wasnt fully aware of what the shadow’s role was and how in recognising our darker self, we are better equipped to make positive changes in our lives.

As Jung said “Whatever one does not live, lives against one.”

Repressing or denying the shadow can cause more harm to our character and cause subconscious conflict – which here on bmindful we are training our minds not to do – right? By taking responsibility for our shadow selves and changing our attitude towards it will change our destiny and what happens in our next world. Being ignorant of the Shadow is dangerous ground..

So in thinking about my little gremlins – and of course embracing them, as they are all parts of me (to vaguely quote Laurie – things are not as ‘bad’ as they seem), I can ‘eat those frogs’(MM) and move forward.

This thread is dedicated to keeping it real. To getting out the daily gremlins – those freudian slips that happen in the day when you think you didnt mean to say something….but you actually did, because the shadow was making itself known.
What about those slient grumbles, rising tempers or snappy responses that sneak in during the day that make you aware of the shadow..? Lets embrace those gentle reminders that we are of course human and change our attitude!

I know I will have many shadow moments to add to this thread….just give me a couple of hours to get into my day!!! LOL! ;o)

A full and thankful heart..

I have just had one.

My impatience – with self. I couldnt attach the link and became enraged with myself for not being able to after numerous attempts. I’ve done it now, so panic over – but man did I get myself in a state.

I recognised my impatience immediately having just written this thread. Its amazing how ‘being aware’ of the shadow characteristics makes them pop straight out in your face!!!

Anyone got tips on impatient behaviour?

I believe asking yourself important questions is key.
As MCM mentioned Anthony Robbins key direction where does it hurt? Gaining something from current behavior?
And then what I do to answer that:
Scan your mind/body/life ->what isn’t where you want it to be and why?
Who told you that was important? Are you listening to you? Would the child in you be proud of the adult you’ve become? Do you live with lots of shoulds?

Embrace the process. Embrace the journey.

Time is a weird thing. This life thing is all about choices. You can recreate what you feel is important moment by moment.

When you can’t do what you want to do when you want to do it, what better thing can you do?

Awareness, acceptance, forgiveness, gratitude and last but not least prayer are keepers for impatience.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie- does first things first~‘s post:
Amen to that Laurie. Thats one of my best remedies at the moment – prayer. As more and more painful images of my shadow keep making themself known. Its great to be aware – then at least you know what you need to pray and mediatate on. Forgiveness and accpetance of self too – they are big ones. There is no sense in beatin yourself up about these darker sides of self – just change your attitude and get on with it! And of course I am grateful for the new found ability to SEE these darker sides and change them before they manifest (well, most of the time!)

Good on you for not having any at the moment! It gives me something to aspire to!

Here is some stuff about 46 & 2

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I wanted to read more about the “Shadow Self” so I found some articles.

A Description of the Shadow
Reiki and the Shadow Self
Shadow Psychology
Shadow Work
The Shadow Self and South African Flower Essences
The Shadow Side of Human Consciousness
Integrating Our Shadow Self

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
Thanks for this MCM – Great stuff.
I especially like in the reiki related one:

It is possible to take personal responsibility for our unwanted experiences in such a way that we take back the power to create our lives in a healthier and more fulfilling way.

Also love the idea that awareness is the gift we have to change things…

So much great stuff on the Shadow – it reminds me of the musical ‘Wicked’.
The supposed ‘Wicked’ witch of the West was not so wicked – merely misunderstood for her passions in life.

Maybe you could find a good link to that!! I am seriously bad at linking!

I have been reading some of these articles about the “Shadow Self”. Though I think there may be some worthwhile ideas here, I am doubtful about some of it, in particular the stuff that has to do with astrology. I do not believe the position of the planets and where the moon was when you were born nor the position of the planets has anything in any “real” sense to do with who you are as a person.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
Thanks for sharing this wonderful stuff. I am totally amazed. What amazes me is that what I am trying to run away from is chasing me like my shadow!!
Acceptance, that is the key. Acceptance of the dark side— but to what extent? Is it OK to let the world see your dark side once in a while? But this can ruin relationships, sometimes just once is enough to lose everything!!!
However I loved the reiki tech of accepting and getting rid of shadows. Will definitely try it.
Thanks.

We all live under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.

In response to SONIA’s post:
I am so glad you are finding this useful as it is ‘where i’m at’ in the course of my journey at present. Lots of the shadow archetypes of my underneath layers are surfacing…its tough work but as it says in the shadow literature the MCM added, this is ongoing work and we need to embrace each and every one of these traits. Connecting the shadow self with the conscious self is an awareness that when used correctly can reap great benefits.

More power to us ;o)

In response to SONIA’s post:
There is also a saying that would fit with what you say: What you resist persists.

I prefer calling the shadow, unconscious mind (guess it was mentioned in the article). I feel that there are different layers of it.
As I work more and more consciously on myself, working with my affirmations etc. creating a new/better reality, they start surfacing one after the other. This way it gives me a chance to look at it as what it is and changing it by using may affirmations or visualization or REviewing it (like Lauries thread, things are not as bad as they seem).

It gets tough when many surface (I become conscious of them) at the same time. That’s where I sometimes become tired and discouraged and confused etc. Also that, is part of the process though.
Once a meditation teacher told me: …then the elephants start walking. I think she meant the same thing, that the shadow surfaces.

…what a wonderful world….

In response to aftab’s post:
Hi Afi!
I love that about the elephants walking. Such a lovely image.
I agree the shadow is PART of the subconscious and appears in our dreams etc, but there are so many layers to the subconsious mind and persona in Jung’s teachings – such as the Anima/animus (male and female persona).
I guess the whole point is to really let them surface and ‘dance with them’, and that is when true and honest communication can take place. Being true to ourselves can make for growth and improvement of self.

Thats why we mustnt resist – It WILL persist, and cause self resentment. I feel I have let this happen at times, by trying to simply ‘Not believe’ I was angry, jealous, judgemental, self-pitying etc…but when I truly accepted my feelings in the here and now, embraced and dealt with them I did not face any multiplying resentments but did the next right thing to CHANGE my attitude….

In response to aftab's post:Re: There is also a saying that would fit with what you say; what you resists persists -

Whatever you resist you become. If you resist anger, you are always angry. If you resist sadness, you are always sad. If you resist suffering, you are always suffering. If you resist confusion, you are always confused. We think we resist certain states because they are there, but actually they are there because we resist them ~ Adyashanti

Anything that anyone gives attention to, becomes true

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content