login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★HAVE YOU BEEN ON OVERLOAD?

HAVE YOU BEEN ON OVERLOAD?

According to David Allen of GTD (Getting Things Done), there are several steps we do when we’re getting into our to-do lists.

1st we collect things that command our attention.
2nd we figure out what relevance these things have to us->what do they mean, and what to do about them

3rd we have to organize the results of this info

4th we go over our options from these results

and 5th we then make choices from our options.

Whew!

Our minds are really something, but they are not fool-proof. We can only store a few things in our conscious mind at a time, and we are filling up our computer sized minds with data beyond belief. According to David Allen we have about 100-150 things that need some kind of closure all of the time. Imagine allof the tasks that flit through our mind for any number of them. And unless we love what we’re thinking about, we shouldn’t have to think about the same thing twice.
This info helped me out a lot. I am unloading everything I think about on paper. I thought I was doing this, and thought I was doing this in an organized way (enough). I was breathing with relief today. David allen’s book and tape are great! I especially love the tape! It’s called Getting Things Done.
I quoted the following from David Allen’s newsletter today:
[S]o, simply ask yourself what has your attention now? And then, “What do I need to decide, do, handle, and organize, to be able to have my mind let that go?” If you like stability, give yourself room for disruption.

This thread is to keep us from overload. Any info you find that truly keeps you focused, disciplined, and effective without the overwhelm is for this thread.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Check out this free book summary

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Seems pretty simple, but for most it’s about getting to those first steps. I think people have forgotten how to ‘slow’ down for even 5 seconds to just ‘breathe’. Thank you for your thoughtful words and offering some insightful reading material. I thing everyone should lean these techniques.

Spirit4you

I have David Allen’s “Ready for Anything” audiobook and it really is fantastic.

You know, I’ve really been encorporating more and more good ideas into my life and as I continue to grow I know I’m getting better and better. All of this stuff buildes on itself.

Writing things down, dumping your mind on paper really frees you up. Your mind is full of conscious and sub-conscious commitments, by dumping them on to paper you can evaluate them and decide what to do about them. Are these thoughts and commitments consuming your energy? Look over them, are there many that you can let go of completely, or agree with yourself that it’s something you need to release “for now”. Evaluate these “contracts” you’ve made with yourself, is it time to declare some of them “null and void”? All of these little “contracts” with yourself are consuming energy. Either fulfill them or let them go or agree that “now is not the time” for this and agree to work on it at another time, but acknowledge that you’re not going to invest yourself in it right now.

Sometimes when we look at all of the stuff on our plates we can be overwhelmed and not know where to begin. At times like that just “DO SOMETHING”, “DO ANYTHING”, and that will often give you the momentum to keep going.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content