login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Creative ways to solve affirmation dilemmas.

This thread is for finding solutions for questions you might have about seemingly difficult affirmation dilemmas. Let’s use this thread for air out questions and answers about affirmations.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Coming up with the right way to word an affirmation can sometimes be problematic, at least it has proven to be so for me in some situations. Writing an affirmation for an abstract idea such as “I am happy”, seems pretty straight forward; but what about situations where you are trying to affirm something more concrete that you know that “in reality” you do not have and you can’t come up with an affirmation that seems true to your mind that you can accept without having to deal with that little voice in your head that says “this is not true, and you know it.”

For example: If you want to have a job in a specific industry, but you don’t actually have a job in that given industry it might seem silly to you to use an affirmation that says “I am the head-chef at a five-star Italian restaurant in New York city”. Your mind may be saying to you “You big fat liar! You’re not the head-chef at a five star Italian restaurant in New York city! Who do you think you’re kidding? You’re a convenience store clerk and you know it!”

What do you do in this situation? Well, I’ve just gotten a handle on how to “fix” this problem, but I’m going to ask Laurie to explain it, because she is the one who helped me “see the light” as it were.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Hi MCM

I find this to be true for most people. The reason so many people have problems with Affirmations coming true is because our sub-conscious mind works in three modalities.

Visual, auditory and sensing.

VISUAL:
Some people can get what they want by writing down their affirmations and posting them where they can be seen daily even in their car, wallet etc.

AUDITORY:
Some people need to hear the affirmations over and over in order for the sub-conscious to record and start to believe it then they get what they want.

SENSORY:
Some people need to feel and touch what they want. Like smelling money and writing a check for a 1,000,000,00 dollars. Yes the check is fake now but the sub=conscious goes to work and gets it for them.

Go back and think on your life when something you wanted badly came to you. What were you thinking? Dreaming? Did you write it down or visualize it? How about meditation tapes and playing a movie in your mind?

Food for thought and it is something I had better journel too.

Peace,
Mary

In response to godscreation’s post:
Exactly.
For visualisation I also use it to see and feel myself in the situation. I imagine myself being the chef of the 5star restaurant. The brighter the warmer the more life size the picture, the more real it is.
This is useful when you know what you want. Sometimes it needs to be worked on harder, sometimes it just comes easily.

Another main point is to believe that it is possible. To believe that the potential is there. To expect the outcome.
Simply to quieten the other voices :-)

…what a wonderful world….

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
I also struggle with some wordings. I use affirmations to start replacing an old belief or behavior.

For a while I was looking for a positive way to say ‘without expectation’. Laurie helped me out. I am still contemplating on the outcome.

Now another thing that I am looking for is a simple way of wording (I need to have simple short sentences, otherwise I loose concentration!) to be more in ‘now’, to be more curious, open and pay more attention, especially to people. I started one on fresh-eyes, but it’s too long.

In response to aftab’s post:
wow. just by writting this out, it came to me. I have a new affirmation. Thanks for the thread Jeff.

Aftab – that is so weird…..I was just coming on this thread to ask about ‘quietening the other voices’. (No, I’m not schizophrenic!)Tee hee!
But, the whole business of believing the outcome fully and wholeheartedly and not letting the ‘reality’ and ‘fear’ creep in. Those little doubts can really destroy your dreams and make you manifest the total opposite. How on earth do we quieten those seeds of doubt….?

I guess repetition of affirmations and seeing, touching and feeling the outcome is the key. Not seeing the obstacles in the way. For example: if you are trying to manifest selling your house, it is better to look at the desired outcome, i.e yourself in your new home, in new surroundings feeling happy and relaxed, than seeing the ‘process’ or ‘dilemma’ itself, i.e ‘house prices are coming down, it is getting harder to sell on the market’ etc etc.
So basically always impress your subconscious mind with the joyous end result, not the dilemmas in between now and then. See it and believe it as a reality now that you are enjoying.

Similarly, dont impress your subconscious mind with the desire to have enough money, but simply see yourself with the desired amount and how you would use it for the benefit of yourself and others.
I am currently working on manifesting unexpectected wealth so that I can offer my mother a sum of money for a wonderful cruise for her 60th birthday. So instead of worrying about ‘not having enough right now’, I am visualising the outcome and what a wonderful feeling that would be to be able to give back to my dear mum who has helped me so much.

I hope I am sticking to the thread and not waffling…

I should back up a second though…I still need an effective way of ‘quietening those other voices of so-called reason’. Any ideas?
Aftab, you mentioned that sometimes you have to work harder than other times to see and believe your Chef visualisation…how do you do it?
Thanks for another great thread Jeff! Mwah! x ;o)

A full and thankful heart..

In response to anoushka_f’s post:
No you are not schizophrenic. I have those voices also, more than one :-O And sometimes I am not even aware of some of them.

(The chef visualisatio was an example from MCM), the ones that I need to work harder on are the ones that I have too many voices pointing out how fearful it is etc., or in other words I have a very concrete-like belief which contradicts it. So I just continue doing my affirmations, visualisations etc. to replace the other one.
(Am I now rambling? Got a bit distracted)

Another thing that I found out is that once you start on a big one, the contradicting thoughts come into light one after the other. I think once you have one in the light, you can replace it with a positive one.
Plus leave the answer to ‘how’ to the univers/god/angels whichever you like. They will take care of that :-)

Thanks Aftab! Glad we are on the same page here! This makes total sense. I love the image of ‘replacing it with a positive one’. Thats do-able in a practical sense. And of course, yes I agree leave the ‘how’ to the universe and trust in the process. Once I am in the right frame of mind – open to receive and accept all that is due to me, then all is well. I think those little negative, or should I say ‘doubts’ or ‘sense of reason’ only creep in when you close yourself to the universe.

I guess the key is to keep it in the ‘here and now’, trust and believe in the power of your mind and higher self and live in the day – dont get caught up in the ‘voices of reason’. Its hard though…but I shall persevere. I will use that visual of ‘replacing with a positive’ – perhaps colours might work….?

Thanks so much Aftab. Lets hope Laurie might shed some light on this issue…?
;o)

A full and thankful heart..

She is most probably just waking up now :-)

How did you know I was just waking up???(:
(smiles)
MCM knows this is truly a favorite subject of mine.
Need to eat breakfast and I’ll be back to word how I word things(:

In the mean time, this is something I wrote just the other day on the subject

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I describe what I do in the link above.
Though, described in a different way:

I check in with myself
1.by seeing how I feel, and what I’d like to feel
2. I note what I need to do, and what I’d like to be doing
3. I ask myself what my long range understanding of this moment contains, and is it congruent with who I am and what I want.

Ex.
1. I have to get out of bed to go to work
2. I am not ready to start the day
3. I want to be good at my work (effective and good disposition)
4. I don’t want to encounter rude, selfish people.
5. I need my job for a paycheck
6. I need my job for transferrable skills for other opportunities
7. I love feeling great
8. What is feeling great to me?
9. I do love people.
10. I love the feeling that comes from being in the flow (in the now)

With those 10 things in mind, how do I affirm a great day? I begin an affirmation->a prayerful affirmation of sorts.

While I’m still in bed, with my eyes still closed I say to myself:
Moment by moment I feel myself being more awake, refreshed and enthusiastic to start my day. I am right where I’m supposed to be in life to do a highly effective job, using my current skills and learning all I need to learn in this successful day cocreated by myself and w/ awesome guidance and love from God. All of my encounters with coworkers and those who request our services are filled with love, gratitude, satisfaction, and opportunity. The day is more perfect than I day I plan myself. This is so, because I partner with The Source (I call God) that makes it all that way. I thank God in advance for this most perfect day.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Responses to MCM and Anoushka

“I am the head-chef at a five-star Italian restaurant in New York city”.

How about this:

As I start my day, I prepare myself for my perfect career as a chef at a five-star Italian restaurant in New York city, I give myself permission for the opportunity, and to do what it takes for acheiving this.

Now I don’t know if the person who wants this:
-is already a chef
-if they are already in NY

Though for anything, I believe we have to give ourselves permission for the opportunity of whatever it is we want.

We may find out it isn’t our dream, it is something that would satisfy someone else (a family member).

Make sure it is truly your own passion, your own dream, and pave the way with permission for the opportunity-idea, the plan, and carrying out each piece of the infamous puzzle that you cocreate with the Power you believe that assists you in this world. For me, I call that Source-> God.

In regard to quieting other parts of you that want something else->don’t hush them, listen to them. They are all you, and trying to be heard.
Once you hear, nurture them like screaming children who need to be loved and learn. So love and teach all parts of you well. For me process affirmations work for that. It’s nurturing your children inside with the voice of reason and love.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Responses to Aftab and GodsCreation
I agree, believing in the potential of great things is the ticket. Optimism opens many wonderful doors to all your ideas of success.

In response to godscreation’s post:
I agree with you->using the sense that you feel closest to is very helpful. And when you can combine things in a pleasing comfortable way, it’s great.

For me, I don’t like to just read an affirmation->unless it’s flashing on a screen in an unusual way, or printed in big bold letters or on colorful paper. In that way I’m very visual about affirmations. Not to say, that a long list of affirmations when I’m vegging-doesn’t assist;because it does. Positive stuff always helps. I just like it to stand out boldly in my mind.

For me, I like to write, and think it and let it go as Done!

I like pictures of my goals, with words under them.

I like to listen also (motivational speakers who tell how things operate).
As I understand something to be logical, I can affirm more easily in words to myself.

How about you? what’s your method, everyone?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Also, I’ve heard mention of people getting confused with too many affirmations, and process affirmations confuse them.

I’m not sure, though I would imagine that might be more the case, when the affirmations are not affirmations that are your own, or do not resonate with your specific needs in time. Or maybe the affirmations are not forming a story that forms a solid picture of your goals or dreams.
Our goals go hand in hand with our affirmations

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Your life is no one elses. What you say needs to be congruent with the healthiest, loving goals you have for yourself. Feel what you want. Own it. Go for it, with words, thoughts and actions. If you don’t, what do you think you’ll end up with?

Appreciate you & your attempts in everything you do. This is not a dress rehearsal. You are always a gift to yourself. You have to appreciate that before anyone else can.

That simple statement that you are a gift to yourself is an affirmation that would assist in other affirmations. It is a reminder why you do what you do for you. What other reasons do you do things for yourself, and form some affirmations from it, a build toward your goal.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m glad you mentioned “listening to the other voices”, the negative ones. They are indeed a part of you. Would you say you sort of have a little conversation with them – kind of a loving conversation in which you confront them like unruly children? Acknowledge them to quiet them down?

It seems to me that it would be good to “pay attention” to the voices, but have a nice little chuckle at their expense. Recognize that many times they are the voices of your EGO and not your true self. Spending some quiet time with yourself every day and working through exercises about your purpose and what you want should make it pretty clear which voices come from your “true-self” vs. those that come from the “ego”.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Yes, a conversation with them is a conversation w/a part of you.
As I heard Lee say, it’s never too late too have a happy childhood. This is not to say you had a unhappy childhood, but sometimes at young ages stuff happens, and things can be interpreted as less than to our little selves. We have the potential to change this misinformation, whether the situation was rightfully understood or not to something extraordinary.

We listen to our inner kids with wisdom and or nurturing. We don’t scold. We educate and love; always love.

There are inner kids inside of us who like to play, some which are bratty and spoiled, sometimes scared, feeling neglected or abandoned.

Example: When you have work to do, and you just want to play-> educate and delay the fun play until later, but allow yourself to have fun->just later.
When you are single minded on something without regard to consequences, that’s the brat. The brat needs just as much love and wisdom as all of the other kids. ~Feeling lost, alone, alienated, abandoned or scared->once again, lots of love and guidance.

And I agree 1000%, take time w/yourself for yourself often -daily.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie-prioritizes~and focuses~ very~well’s post:
Yes the questioning helps alot. you had pointed this out to me before.
And to all your other points, thank you. You should write books, you should do workshops :-) I will fly over to attend.
This page will have to go to my favorites

In response to Smart_Routines_With_Enthusiasm's post:

love this topic... be back Tuesday to share and reread thread(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content