login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★neurons that fire together wire together 

★neurons that fire together wire together

9d7a3e19bc33590f666ac79290a24cf0--brain-facts-neurons.jpg

Renewing our minds is all about creating new, healthy nets that fire together so they can wire together.
neurons that fire together Curt Thompson, M.D.
www.beingknown.com
[ a Curt Thompson, M.D.-quote “First, at our core, we all are desperate for joy, courage, kindness, and security. We long for these qualities to be displayed in our children, our families, our communities, and ourselves. Second, new discoveries in neuroscience – the study of how our brains function – reveal that our interactions with each other help shape our brains and relationships in ways that either point to the qualities above, or point to negative, harmful qualities” ] www.beingknown.com
Our brains tend to look for connection. And the way we do is like a crossover: my right brain looks for your right brain, and my left looks for your left—all an attempt to make a connection. The different functions of each mode of operation—visuospatial orientation, non-verbal cues, emotion, holistic awareness, social awareness in the right; language, literal, logical, and linear processing in the left—tend to influence those of the same mode in any person we encounter, especially with one with whom we have a close relationship. So, for your friend, parent, spouse, and especially your child, think of this. The next time you are together, consider how your mind is connecting that of the other person. Before you know it, the more you pay attention to this, the more connected you will be, not only as you attend to the mind of the other but mostly as you attend to your own. Curt Thompson, M.D; Anatomy of the Soul

Meaningful Life Changes-5 Ways

—DR. HILARY STOKES ***~www.mindbodygreen.com~***

• 1. Identify the beliefs that support your intention.
    2. Embrace your positive emotions.
    3. Visualize.
    4. Take actions that support your intention.
    5. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    Hilary Stokes Ph.D. and Kim Ward Ph.D. have been a team for 20 years, specializing in mind, body, spirit psychology. They are the authors of the bestselling book Manifesting Mindset: The 6-step formula for attracting your goals and dreams and founders of Authenticity Associates Coaching and Counseling. They are passionate about combining the best of holistic and traditional approaches to health and happiness.

Donald Hebb’s landmark discovery in 1949, “neurons that fire together wire together,” best explains the process of wiring and strengthening brain pathways. we have trillions of brain cells, resulting in thousands (if not millions) of strings of lights correlating with our habits in all areas of our life. Donald Hebb’s landmark discovery in 1949, “neurons that fire together wire together,” best explains the process of wiring and strengthening brain pathways. The key is to activate as many of these pathways as possible given they work synergistically. One pathway alone is not enough to successfully rewire your brain. However, when you repeatedly align your beliefs, feelings, vision, and actions you will experience lasting changes in your brain. “ ***to read article in full:http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11762/5-ways-to-rewire-your-brain-for-meaningful-life-changes.html  Donald Hebb Biography

www.psych.ualberta.ca
Donald’s performance in elementary school astounded his teachers and he was promoted to grade 7 at the age of 10
Donald Hebb (1904-1985)
Biography

He wrote a book “The Organization of Behaviour” which was published in 1949. In this book, Hebb put forward several ideas which went beyond his data at the time, but which fueled much interest in neural connectivity and its relationship to learning and thinking.

Hebb, D. O. (1949). Organization of behavior: A neuropsychological            
      theory. New York: John Wiley and Sons.

1949 – National Institute of Mental Health was formally established
1949 – Donald Olding Hebb publishes The Organization of Behavior: A Neuropsychological Theory

Hebbian theory concerns how neurons might connect themselves to become memory “engrams,” a hypothetical means by which memory traces are stored as biophysical or biochemical change in the brain (and other neural tissue) in response to external stimuli suggested by Hebb’s mentor, Karl Lashley. Hebb’s theories on the form and function of cell assemblies is described as follows:
The general idea is an old one, that any two cells or systems of cells that are repeatedly active at the same time will tend to become ‘associated’, so that activity in one facilitates activity in the other (Hebb 1949, 7).
When one cell repeatedly assists in firing another, the axon of the first cell develops synaptic knobs (or enlarges them if they already exist) in contact with the soma of the second cell (Hebb 1949, 63).
Not only did Hebb’s model for the working of the mind influence how psychologists understood the processing of stimuli within the mind but also it opened up the way for the creation of computational machines that mimicked the biological processes of a living nervous system. And while the dominant form of synaptic transmission in the nervous system was later found to be chemical, modern artificial neural networks are still based on the transmission of signals via electrical impulses around which Hebbian theory was first designed. www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Donald_O._Hebb
Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-AlikeLicense

Amazon Reviews-The Organization of Behavior: A Neuropsychological Theory
Since its publication in 1949, D.O. Hebb’s, The Organization of Behavior has been one of the most influential books in the fields of psychology and neuroscience. However, the original edition has been unavailable since 1966, ensuring that Hebb’s comment that a classic normally means “cited but not read” is true in his case. This new edition rectifies a long-standing problem for behavioral neuroscientists—the inability to obtain one of the most cited publications in the field. to read more

Donald Hebb-Psychologist, Former McGill Professor His text, The Organization of Behaviour was the seminal volume in what has become, 50 years later, the standard approach to Neuroscience theory by Rolfe Morrison

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Carla Shatz, “New Synapses in Old Brains?”

Carla Shatz, “New Synapses in Old Brains?” Carla Shatz, “New Synapses in Old Brains?”
Watch, learn and connect: https://stanfordconnects.stanford.edu/
Wouldn’t it be amazing to create new synapses in our brains as we age? Professor Shatz shares some of her research advances at the neural level around a novel receptor, PirB. Advances in this work has implications for improving brain plasticity, learning, memory and neurological disorders.

Carla Shatz is the Sapp Family Provostial Professor, David Starr Jordan Director of Stanford Bio-X and professor of biology and of neurobiology. Her lab explores the mechanistic underpinnings of brain circuit tuning during developmental critical periods. Her research is relevant not only for understanding neurodevelopmental disorders such as Autism and Schizophrenia, but also -unexpectedly for Alzheimer’s disease. She has served as president of the Society for Neuroscience and is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Medicine, the American Philosophical Society and most recently the Royal Society of London.

This Stanford+Connects micro lecture was filmed on location in Seattle, Washington. Stanford+Connects is a program of the Stanford Alumni Association.

• fun &/ or thought provoking psychology quotes to think about:
    “Every act of perception, is to some degree an act of creation, and every act of memory is to some degree an act of imagination.” ~Oliver Sacks

If my heart could do my thinking, would my brain begin to feel? Van Morrison

Emotions give a more activated and chemically stimulated brain, which helps us recall things better. Cahil et al, 1994

thread created 1/14/15 last edited 1/14/15
Intro Post

Donald O. Hebb’s work laid the foundation for neuropsychology as he sought to understand how neurons in the brain contributed to psychological processes such as learning.

newworldencyclopedia.org… Donald O. Hebb
Hebb’s pioneered a theory of how the mind and brain could actually work together, taking on the mind-body problem that has been an issue for philosophers from the beginning. As his former student, Stevan Harnad, noted: Hebb reminded us of the problem anew, first through suggestive accounts of his work with Penfield on the localization of memories in the brain, and then from the viewpoint of his own specific hypothesis that thoughts could actually be the activity of reverberating circuits of neurons called “cell-assemblies.” I don’t think his idea had its full impact on me at the moment he described it. Rather, it was after the lecture, as I thought about it, and thought that my thoughts may well consist of those physical things I was thinking about, that I realized what a radically different world view such a theory represented, and that it all had a ring of reality to it that made the Freudian notions I had been flirting with sound like silly fairy tales. … Then, almost before the revelation his hypothesis represented had had a chance to take effect, Hebb took it back, informing us that his theory was almost certainly wrong. What followed was his second revelation: That a theory need not be right in order to be informative and to guide us in the right direction. And the cell assembly theory (together with other ideas in Hebb’s epochal 1949 monograph, The Organization of Behaviour) had indeed inspired an enormous wealth of research findings, from the effects of sensory enrichment and deprivation to electrical and chemical pleasure centers in the brain to theoretical modeling of neural networks (Harnad 1985).

newworldencyclopedia.org… biological psychology

newworldencyclopedia.org Karl Lashley – Donald O. Hebb’s mentor Lashley’s work has had wide-ranging implications for the study of learning, memory, and brain functions. However, his understanding of the human mind was limited to the structure of the physical brain. The complexity of human thought and behavior is based on internal aspects, namely the mind and spirit.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thread first created 1/2015 last edited 6/2015

Meaningful Life Changes-5 Ways “:http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11762/5-ways-to-rewire-your-brain-for-meaningful-life-changes.html —DR. HILARY STOKES www.mindbodygreen.com
1. Identify the beliefs that support your intention.
2. Embrace your positive emotions.
3. Visualize.
4. Take actions that support your intention.
5. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Hilary Stokes Ph.D. and Kim Ward Ph.D. have been a team for 20 years, specializing in mind, body, spirit psychology. They are the authors of the bestselling book Manifesting Mindset: The 6-step formula for attracting your goals and dreams and founders of Authenticity Associates Coaching and Counseling. They are passionate about combining the best of holistic and traditional approaches to health and happiness.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

This is very interesting to me. I will have to do some serious reading. I hate it when that happens. I prefer to be lazy, but love being informed.

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content