login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★The Next Generation

Hello to the Moms & Dads (and those in similar positions of mentorship)~

What do you do to ensure the next generation embraces our ideas of affirmations and positive living? Is it through role modeling? Cool & creative ideas?

I have tapped out my creativity lately and would love some new ideas to encourage my children to explore their artistic side.

Here are some examples of what I have done in the past:

1) Visualization Box (they decorated and put symbols of their desires inside)
2) Books aimed at children (such as Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay, Eckhart Tolle childrens books)

I want to keep their passions stimulated. Please help!! :) They must understand they are in control of their destiny.

PS: They are 10, 8, 6

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
While I’m not in a similar position of mentorship, my gut says you’re suplying them with something most didn’t get in such a systematic and routine way as I’m sure you’ve already got them involved with. We’ve gotten to know you here, and you are an example to your children. What better way to give lasting info to your children, then to live it yourself?

Think back to the people in your life that have helped you the most. Were there times you reacted, or thought toward them and their ideas, as though you knew more or what they offered wasn’t sufficient?

Then looking back it was their ideas you’ve held on to, after all was said and done, when you needed that bit of wisdom that got you through.

This is you, Mary (MM). This is what you do. The fact that you want more for your children is wonderful. Though keep in mind, your example is key. *And you’ve done good*(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I agree with Laurie. I think being the best you can absorbs into the children. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! Many kids don’t want to be told what to do, but just by being the best version of you, they pick it up and probably don’t even realise they are learning good stuff. And we all have bad days so be kind to yourself. When I have a bad day and say or do something towards the kids I don’t like, I make sure to talk about it later, that way they know I’m human & can admit to being wrong.

I overheard my daughter saying to her little brother in a caring teaching voice, “if you say you’re going to have a bad day you will, you need to think of good things….” ha ha she sounded just like me & I thought she never listened to me!

Have you ever tried reading plays with them? My daughter loves reading plays. I love the book Attonement, where the girl goes to great lenghts to write plays & perform in front of the adults.

And thank you for mentioning those books which they have loved.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi used to be focused but now she’s ????‘s post:

What a great idea!! I haven’t seen the book Attonement, but I will check it out.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
I found this answer from my good ol’ friend Brian Tracy in regard to your question(:

“The most important reason that a young person succeeds in life, based on many years of research, is because of an attitude of “positive expectations” on the part of the parent.

The parent is always telling his/her child that he/she believes in him/her and knows that he/she is going to be a big success in life.

There is nothing more influential in causing a young person to become successful when he/she grows up than to know that his/her parents believe in him/her completely” Brian Tracy

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi MM
Atonement by Ian McEwan was a great read, also made into a movie which I haven’t seen (books are always better!).

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

Hi MM,

When my son was a child I never gave him toys his age I always gave him toys for older children. He learned them quickly. Teach them to trust their own “gut feelings” about things. Play hypnosis tapes about self confidence and healing at night when they are asleep they will still learn.

Take them grocery shopping and explain what are in the ingredients list and how it affects their health. They can prepare a menu for the evenings dinner and they can help you cook, even if it’s just a little thing. The idea is they are watching and learning. This may sound a little too much but you will be surprized at what your chidren can be capable of.

For example my son learned how to use the vcr and television at the age of 1 1/2. He learned how to play chess at the age of 4 and beat my father. At 7 he learned how to play pool and beat my brother.

This happened because I did’t put limits on his learning. What ever he showed interest in we went to the library to learn about it. Children are like sponges they soak up all kids of information. Never underestiamte the intelligence of children. Let their minds be creative and have fun most of all!

This phrase here is the greatest lesson and it works!

Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture.

Norman Vincent Peale

Peace,
Mary

Mary, Mary, Mary~ Thank you so much for sharing your gem of wisdom!! I hope that the other parents out there take heed as much as I will!!

It’s nice to read about parents taking conscious thought about how they raise their children. EVERY parent SHOULD do this, but I know way too many that let things fly and then … what do you know .. the child is 10 has learned by example and are a complete clone of their parents or the status quo.
Keep up the good work guys!! :)

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content