login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★tips & tools  we enjoy on nutrition

On a breakfast thread we were discussing nutrition questions/ideas .

Come across any good nutrition/health or other fitness ideas you’d like to share?Feature-image-fun-food-facts-about-superfoods-960x540.jpg

healthiest-green-leaf.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

original link missing…. Though will add

Affirmation Quick Searchaffirmation tags
♫Frampton I love enjoying this surrender. It is always beyond my wildest imagination of completion

Hi Laurie, thanks for sharing that. It was helpful for me. The only point I am a little dubious about is increasing dairy consumption. There has to be a better way for calcium. What are your thoughts on dairy? (other than in moderation – as with everything)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

I have many opinions on dairy but if I share them all it will be lengthy.

Many foods have calcium – green leafy vegetables, sesame and fortfied rice/soy milk.

Here is a list

and this one

In response to melt86’s post:
That was interesting thanks.

I’m a dairy lover. If I had my way I’d have a cow in the backyard and learn to make cheese & yogurt and treat her with the upmost respect, like I did my chooks (until the fox came). Her name would be Buttercup or Annabel.

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

In response to Vivi is focused’s post:

I’d trust your Annabel or Buttercup much more than the corporate farms I live by – where they corral the cows into a little tiny space that is as long as the cow and minimally wider – where they spend all their life eating hormones & antibiotics. (OK, maybe I am a little tainted in attitude by the horrid smells that come from them.)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

I know what you mean. I visited a pig farm once in central Europe in winter. All the pigs were kept indoors and it was hot and the smell was like nothing else. And they screamed. We had to catch a train to the city after the visit, no-one sat near us. Poor animals.

I’m lucky to be close to small scale primary producers where the animals spend their life outdoors, and free-range, organic and sustainable farming is increasing. I’m grateful I have a choice and that such an abundant array of foods is around me. I will do my best to support the little guys.

My pet cow would need to be a small one to fit in my backyard (mental note for vision board).

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

Since recently my Dr. found out that my iron was extremely low and gave me an injection for it, I have been looking to pay attention to what I eat in regards to Iron.

Main points were to include vitamin C (orange juice or lemon juice) to your iron rich meals.
Leave atleast 2-3 hours btw dring tee or coffee and your iron rich meals.
Some sources of iron that I noted for myself (there are many lists to found on internet):
Lentiles, beans, roasted pumpkin seeds, nuts, muscles, spinach (frozen), dried apricots.

…what a wonderful world….

Dairy can be a hard subject, while I do believe that it has its benefits for children, I do not think that adults require the same intake or any for that matter. Since becoming a vegetarian, I am nearly vegan, though on occasion I do eat cheese products if I am out and it can not be avoided. I find that I am less ”flemnmy” when I am not eating dairy. Has anyone else noticed this?

mai

In response to maidopo’s post:
Yeah, I believe as much as I love cheese->to eat it in moderation.And go for the healthiest varieties.

♫Frampton I love enjoying this surrender. It is always beyond my wildest imagination of completion

Vegan rella is the faux cheese that I use and it freezes really well and tastes great, my kids don’t even know I use it, lol

mai

What are the ingredients?

Ingredients: brown rice milk (water, organically grown brown rice), oat flour, canola oil, corn starch, salt, natural flavor, vitamins and minerals, Irish moss, sodium citrate, sorbic acid, carotene.

mai

I think not only the phlegm issue, but a whole host of other allergy issues that I am sure are related to what the cow ingests during its life of milk-giving. Though, I must admit, I am not an expert.

My father, a farmer, never fed his cows anything but nature. Although I was born allergic to cows milk, none of my siblings ever had any issues. The issues that today’s children have with allergies are unmistakable.

1) Eczema & a host of other rashes
2) Asthma & other respiratory issues

I’m only speaking of my children and those of my siblings. Their doctors all called it related to milk. Once taken off of milk – all symptoms disappeared.

My sister just had a baby last month. Her baby developed skin rashes & eczema. Once she quit dairy products, her baby’s issues all have cleared up over the last week. (Obviously, she is nursing.)

I don’t know… I just see what happens in my family…

Hmm… A nutrition tip for today?? I would have to say that as a general rule I try not to eat after 7:30 p.m. It really does make a difference for weight loss/control. Depending on your schedule of course, the general rule of thumb is nothing by month but water three hours before bed. I do not stick to it hard on the weekends, but strictly throughout the week.

mai

Protein

In response to laurie- worksout-daily&w/everything she’s got~ ~‘s post:
Love the info on Protein. Very well written and consise.

One thing that made me think was about how some protein components or amino acids are destroyed from overcooking…..

I wonder does anyone have any opinion on raw food diets??

I know that OVERcooking destroys nutrients in veg etc, but what about any agitation at all from cooking? I believe in some foods we break them into more digestible forms when we cook them, but others are so much better for us raw. Please share any ideas/tips on whats better cooked and raw.

A full and thankful heart..

In response to aftab’s post:

aftab try black strap molasses it is so good for you and your iron deficiency.

Here is a website that can break down all the benefits.

BM

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content