login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Eckhart Tolle /The Power Of Now

Have any of you bmindfullers read this or any of Eckharts other books .

I read it a while ago and got a bit lost but I’m starting it again and so far it is making perfect sense .

Perhaps it is one of those books that you sometimes grow into

love flowergirl

I’ve read “A New Earth” and “The Power of Now”. Both were very good. I especially liked “A New Earth”. I do think it is the type of book that would simply fly over some folks heads, but I think you would understand it just fine, FG. When I say fly over someone’s head, I’m not talking about it being hard to read, but that the ideas in there are some that I think a lot of people would dismiss as being flaky or too new-agey. There is a “calmness” element, for lack of a better world, that is out of synch with much of the world. Maybe my description with make sense to some others who have read it.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

thanks cookieman , I love listening to him on you tube – his voice is so calming so these books sound perfect to add to my self help basket .

I have been reading some of his quotes lately and this afternoon I looked across at the bookshelf and noticed his book ,as I was skimming through it, it seemed to answer so many questions .

The more new-agey the better for me !

love flowergirl

I will say that “A New Earth” had a lasting affect on me – more so than most books. What it really helped me to do was to learn to step outside myself and observe my thinking. I believe many people are quite literally tortured by their thinking. Remember the movie “Moonstruck” when Cher slaps Nicholas Cage and says “snap out of it”? I found the book to be kind of like that. A splash of water on us when we are asleep. I can’t tell you how many times since reading that book I’ve had a very real laugh out loud chuckle at myself because I’ve learned to step back, look at what my mind is doing and realize that my mind is not me. Our minds can really get wrapped up in some silly matters. We can take ourselves too seriously. Now, it’s almost automatic, when I start taking myself too seriously I step back and examine my thoughts from outside my mind. We own our minds – it’s not the other way around. Many folks think their mind owns them – or better yet, I’d say that they don’t realize that their mind owns them. It’s an illusion that can be broken.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

after reading your post I went looking on the bookshelves again and found A New Earth which I haven’t read at all yet – a timely reminder to myself to read more and watch less TV

I haven’t seen Moonstruck but managed to find a few clips on youtube ,I love the bit where they are at the opera and Cher has tears rolling down her face – I could feel my own tears joining in !

I love what you say about us owning our minds ,I feel I have a gremlin somewhere deep down that pulls me into the bleakness of depression thinking and it is this I want to heal .

I’m not sure which book to read first now ,I’m spoilt for choice .

I cannot live with myself any longer.”
This was the thought that kept repeating itself in my mind. Then suddenly I became aware of what a peculiar thought it was. Am I one or two? If I cannot live with myself, there must be two of me: the ‘I’ and the ‘self’ that ‘I’ cannot live with.
“Maybe,” I thought, “only one of them is real.”
— Eckhart Tolle: The Power of Now

personally,ET says what many thinkers and philosophers have said on different occasions ie:Alan Watts said the same thing,explaining that,we are not the wake of the boat,the wake of the boat is the past.
We are the engine and the boat or the “now is the engine and the boat”
And the water trail or wake behind the boat is the past.
You could say eckhart tolle has been overly exploited,but I also think
that his teaching and his consciousness has evolved as more people considered his doctrine or way of thinking,his wisdom has flourished
to some degree,because of the exploitation or public interest.

Once you get to know Twain, you’ll never be the same.

This thread has not been responded to in awhile…and Eckhart Tolle quotes, many seem to resonate & simply feel good(: Thank you flowergirl for creating it(:

Eckhart Tolle quoteI cannot tell you any spiritual truth that deep within you don’t know already. All I can do is remind you of what you have forgotten

Eckhart Tolle quoteBe at least as interested in what goes on inside you as what happens outside. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place

Eckhart Tolle quoteDon’t get stuck on the level of words. A word is no more than a means to an end. It’s an abstraction. Not unlike a signpost, it points beyond itself

Eckhart Tolle quoteWhen you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it. The mind in itself is a wonderful tool. Dysfunction sets in when you seek your self in it and mistake it for who you are

I posted this 1st picture quote before-I love it, so here it is again:quipple897.jpg

quipple926.jpg

I Am living a Divine plan

The moment that judgement stops through acceptance of what is, you are free of the mind. You have made room for love, for joy, for peace ~ Eckhart Tolle

Anything that anyone gives attention to, becomes true

Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world. Eckart Tolle

I Am living a Divine plan

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content