login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Motown , Soul, R&B, (& music influenced by this sound)

Loved soul music. This thread is for that ol’ soul sound.

This thread is reserved for that wonderful sound!

Revising old thread /links were broken

thanks for patience ...

thread originally created in 2009

related threads:

Real Soul Music-Aretha

Nostalgic Music-PRESENT DAY JOY(:

★Motown , Soul, R&B, (& music influenced by this sound)

Origins

Added music influenced by these sounds to open possibilities everyone knows/loves.

• Stevie Wonder
  • Earth Wind & Fire
  • Isley Brothers Who's That Lady? 1 & 2 (Audio)
  • Temptations
  • Otis Redding
  • James Brown
  • Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
  • Four Tops
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Marvin Gaye& Tammi Terrell
  • Jackie Wilson

Just My Imagination Temptations

Otis Live Part 2 of 3 Monterrey 1967
Otis Live Part 3 of 3 Monterrey 1967

Hey nineteen

•  

Otis Redding FaFaFa
Otis Redding Try a Little Tenderness

Can’t Help Myself Four Tops
I Can’t Help Myself
“It’s the Same Ol Song”:

Temptations hit Get Ready came on the scene around 1965
What a difference when the rock version came out during 68-70 by Rare Earth long version

Notes paraphrased from Wikipedia
The original Temptations version of “Get Ready”, was produced by Smokey Robinson. Temptations’ (falsetto singer) Eddie Kendricks sings lead on the song. It was #1 on R&B charts and didn’t do badly on pop charts either..#29.

A Bit of Old Motown”

Temptations

This was played at every jr and sr. high dance!
Temptations (A couple of my favorites)
My Girl Temptations

I loved this song! While I wasn’t even a teen when this song 1st came out, it was/is a classic, like My Girl, and it continued to be played.
Since I Lost My Baby Temptations

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

The best thing about this one here – I was standing right there in the audience!! Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings Nobody’s Baby

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

If you love Motown, then you should watch the DVD “Standing in the Shadows of Motown”. This is a five minute clip

It’s about “The Funk Brothers”, the real musicians of the Motown Sound.

My favourite Motown track – Marvin Gaye’s I heard it through the grapevine.

“When you have the courage to step outside your comfort zone, life will never be the same again!”

Marvin Gaye Heard It Through The Grapevine
——————————————————————————————
Marvin Gaye Let’s Get it On
——————————————————————————————-
Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell Your Precious Love
———————————————————————————————-
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Ain’t no Mountain High Enough
——————————————————————————————
What’s Going On?
————————————————————————————
Mercy Mercy Mercy
———————————————————————————————-
Got To Give It Up

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi Laurie, I have to admit this isn’t my strong suit. I do like this type of music, but don’t really know a lot of it. I’m gonna post a few I like in particular though. Hope you will like these. By the way, I DO really like Mavin Gaye a lot, especially What’s Goin’ On!

Al Green Love & Happiness
Bill Withers Ain’t No Sunshine
Aretha Say A Little Prayer
Smokey Cruisin
I generally like originals best, but these guys NAILED this in the movie “Duets.” A great movie by the way.
Try A Little Tenderness

I like it so much when an actor turns out to have a great voice. These guys were great. You know who else has a great voice? Gweneth Paltrow. Also Johnny Depp, did you guys see Sweeney Todd?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I dig that song Laurie, but I’ve NEVER HEARD IT! I really enjoyed My Girl, but I haven’t ever heard Since I Lost My Baby! I’m out of my element. I love learning stuff!

Here’s a poignant quote for ya, Laurie!

Hey nineteen
Thats retha franklin
She dont remember
The queen of soul
Its hard times befallen
The sole survivors
She thinks Im crazy
But Im just growing old

We’re not getting old are we, just getting better! Right! ;)

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I hadn’t ever heard “Since I Lost My Baby.”

I really dig Steely Dan! Thanks for that one.

And here’s another quote I like more and more as I get older.

“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”
Marcel Proust

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I haven’t posted anything here in a while, so here’s one from a fella with a very interesting story.

Hit The Road Jack

Ray Charles was born on 23 September 1930, in Albany, GA. in a very poor family. His father’s name was Baily Robinson who worked as a mechanic and also a handyman, and his mother Aretha, worked in a sawmill. He was born during the period of Great Depression, as he wrote in his autobiography, his family was very poor even compared to other poor black families around. During the ongoing Depression period, his family moved to Greenville (when he was just an infant).

Even when his family was living in great adversities, Ray enjoyed the early days of his childhood. He was interested in music right from his childhood, one source of his interest was a cafe owner who played piano and also showed interest in teaching it to him. Till 5, he felt like a happy child until when he lost his younger brother who drowned in a water tub. After that accident, Ray suffered from a gradual loss in eyesight, which left him blind by the time he was seven years old (it is said that the reason of his blindness was GLAUCOMA). As Ray was still a little child, when he was losing his eyesight gradually, his mother helped him in becoming self-dependent, she taught him how to do things, how to manage his work etc.

Ray was further admitted to a School for the Deaf and Blinds in Saint Augustine, Fla., where he learned music, composing, reading, and writing in Braille. He also learned instruments like piano, trumpet, sax, organ etc. Studying whole day, practicing music and listening to blues, country, gospel, jazz and some of the big bands of that time became his routine.

His mother died when he was fifteen after which he became very withdrawn. He buried his pain deep inside. He described his mother’s death in his autobiography as “the most devastating thing in my whole experience-bar nothing, period. From that moment on, I was completely in another world. I couldn’t eat. I couldn’t sleep-I was totally out of it. The big problem was I couldn’t cry; I couldn’t get the sorrow out of my system and that made things worse.”

An elderly woman in town, Ma Back, knew Ray’s family well and saw how withdrawn he became after his mother’s death. She literally took him aside one day and told him that his mother would have wanted him to carry on with his life and use his talent. When he described this event later as an adult, he told about crying for the first time in her arms, “howling like a tiny infant, crying for all the pain that had been stored up, crying for the loss and the grief and the sweet memories that Mama had given me.” He said that those events were, strangely enough, extraordinarily positive for me. What I’ve accomplished since then, really, grows out of my coming to terms with those events.” Howling screams become one of this trademark contributions to popular music.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks SRWE…Vivi is ??? ,mufc for earlier posts…and you and anyone else who’d like to help this thread thrive would be joyously appreciated

want to totally revise this thread… many links not working…and can’t have that!(:
Isley Brothers’ Links now back!(:
ISLEY BROTHERS

This OL’ Heart Of Mine

Who’s That Lady

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Marvin Gaye links broken…guess it’s time to unbreak(:
Too Busy Thinking About My Baby Marvin Gaye

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content